Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to get a new Bench Vise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking to get a new Bench Vise
    Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:39pm
Are there any good new vises under $150. I am looking for basic work in the garage but one that wont break. It seems kind of hit and miss on whether or not you get one that wont break easily. I have looked on craigslist but it seems difficult to find one that the seller doesnt think is the greatest vise ever made and wants $500. 
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 4:37pm
High quality vices are expensive.  I went with the cheaper  Harbor Freight 5" about 18 years ago and broke the threaded part that tightens the jaws a short time after using it.  I replaced the part and have been using it since with no problem.  By the way I am not easy with it either.  Sometimes I wish I would have went with a 6" though.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 4:52pm
Buying vises for drilling rigs over the years I had the best luck with Wilton. The Wilton Bullet Vise is about as good as it gets, pricey if you can find a good used one. The new Wilton's are affordable, don't know about the durability but I would try one if I needed a vise..    
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:23pm
33 years ago I bought a 4" Chinese Vise "Swordfish Brand" with a large 4" square flat surface on the back. It was Blue it was like $35.00 I used it for 4 years and right before the shop that sold it to me I bought a second. I spent 14 years as a Custom Knifemaker and used the Crap out of those two vises. Ripped on of them clear off the Bench 3 times so far using cheater pipes and I beat and I pounded and the only thing I have had to do to them in the 33 years I have had them is clean them and about every 10 years lube them.

I have no Idea if its the same or if the metallurgy or heat treating changed but this one on eBay looks just like them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bench-Vise-Swordfish-Brand-4-Jaws-TBV-304-Swivel-13-Long/253650354563?hash=item3b0ebd4183:g:mNkAAOSwepla6f9s
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:28pm
I have probably have half a dozen vises in the garage, workshop, and on the welding table. Every one is a good old American made vise that I picked up at a yard sale, swap meet or craigslist. There are a lot of them out there. Keep your eyes open, you'll find one.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:50pm
I have a few lower cost vices that are ok for most things but my go to vice is one I picked up when my wife’s grandfather passed. It’s a Wilton and is a much better vice then any of the others. 

Mike

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:59pm
Get the biggest vise you can fit on your table.  In vises, bigger is better, if it's made well.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:15pm
The big old one I have on my bench is probably 100 years old, the ears that fasten it to the bench finally cracked. I've had it welded a couple of times but it's no use. A comparable one now would cost almost $1000.00,this thing gets some serious abuse, I've been looking for one for years but no one will part with it. I have an antique long arm blacksmith's vise that someone gave me but I'm not sure I want to use it. Good luck in your search, I've found some online but the one I want is still $$300.00. 
 Post Reply Post Reply