Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low Power source

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Power source
    Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 2:46pm
Good morning all; 

Well, thanks to all of you that helped my through my start-up debugging issues, I'm through my first tank of gas on my completed restoration and the Willys is currently running perfectly with run-in glitches including vacuum, regulator, difficulty starting, boosting, and low power (at the time of this writing) resolved.

One final point I hadn't gotten back to you on was low power.  Somewhere in the previous threads, someone suggested checking the gas tank to make sure it was venting by removing the gas cap and listening for a vacuum.  Near the end of my first long ride, I pulled up to a traffic light and the Willys wanted to stall.  I had to shift into neutral and coach it along with the gas pedal to get it to idle on its' own.  Remembering the suggestion from the thread, I reached down and removed the gas cap.  The suction almost pulled my ball cap off.  The Willys quickly recovered to a smooth idle.  Performance and power, most notably on the hills, improved.

The original gasket in the gas cap had disintegrated and I had made a new one of cork, inadvertently covering up the small vent hole in the cap.  Once I poked a hole in the gasket to align with the hole in the cap, all my hard start and low power issues disappeared.  

For me, the moral of the story is that I most often start by looking for the most difficult solution to a problem and not the most obvious.  If you're experiencing hard start or low power, it might be worth checking to ensure that the vent hole in the gas cap is not blocked or obstructed in any way.

Again, thanks to you all, as I am also taking your most important advice to: "Drive it like I stole it".

don
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 6:22pm
A lot of times, it's the simple stuff that bites us in the rear.  

Glad you got it fixed.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 7:45pm
Thank you Don for bringing your solution back to the forum board. It does help to get feedback on here. Sometimes people get their problem fixed but don't let the rest of the forum users know what worked or didn't work. Feedback like yours will always help others...

Glad you found a solution...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 1:17am
Don,
Thank you for sharing the success of finding your trouble source and how your ultimately fixed the issue.
It sounds as though by the suggestion of one of the members here on the 2A page they saved you a lot of time, frustration and misery.
Still, I completely agree with you that it is often times instinctual to want to dive into the situation and look for the complicated issues at times.
Thanks again for taking the time to write this up and share instead of just going on your way and keeping the self inflicted mistake to yourself.  
That is a good lesson for anyone redoing the gasket on their original cap, to make sure it is vented properly!
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply