Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low profile air cleaners for a 225.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low profile air cleaners for a 225.
    Posted: 08 Nov. 2020 at 6:38am
What are yall using for a low profile air cleaner on a 225 in a flat fender with a rochester carburetor?  I would like to find a factory style air cleaner instead of the open element style.  
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2020 at 6:59am
If you have room under the dash you could get an air horn and run a tube to a filter under the dash. 
CJ3B
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2020 at 3:00pm
I’m running an early Bronco air cleaner that came standard on the V8 equipped Broncos.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

I’m running an early Bronco air cleaner that came standard on the V8 equipped Broncos.

What size is the top on the bronco filter?  The air horn size on the rochester is 2 5/8" . The bronco filter is probably the lowest air cleaner available.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2020 at 10:06pm
I had modified the air horn to the small Rochester hole back when I was still running that carburetor. After swapping to the Motorcraft 2150 I put it back to the way it originally came. You may consider doing the carburetor swap right away. I have found the Motorcraft to be a lot better carburetor off-road.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 11:33am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

I had modified the air horn to the small Rochester hole back when I was still running that carburetor. After swapping to the Motorcraft 2150 I put it back to the way it originally came. You may consider doing the carburetor swap right away. I have found the Motorcraft to be a lot better carburetor off-road.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 11:43am
I have a 1966 bronco low profile air cleaner assembly.
Looks a tad different but very similar to your cleaner.
How did you reduce the hole from 5-1/8” down to 2-5/8” when you ran the Rochester 2G ?

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I have a 1966 bronco low profile air cleaner assembly.
Looks a tad different but very similar to your cleaner.
How did you reduce the hole from 5-1/8” down to 2-5/8” when you ran the Rochester 2G ?

Ken, I took an old air filter base with the 2-5/8" hole and cut out what I needed of it and welded it in the Ford air cleaner assembly after cutting the 5-1/8" hole out of it. Since then I switched carbs and am now running the Motorcraft 2150 so I had to convert it back to the 5-1/8" hole.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 1:47pm
Yeah that’s what I was wondering. I really don’t wanna weld direct on the 5-1/8” cleaner hole.
Just Never Know, I may have to go with the Motorcraft carburetor some day too.
But for now I have a couple real nice Rochester 2G’s. (manual choke)
Probably fabricate a removable sheet metal adapter to get my Bronco cleaner down to 2-5/8”. 
Besides I think it has to be raised about an inch to clear the manual choke.
I see plastic adapters on eBay but don’t expect they will fit right.
I have also been looking at very similar low profile air clean from a Ford six cylinder van. It is a little shorter OAL with a 2-5/8” carburetor hole.
Zero aftermarket parts

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 2:44pm
If the OAL is much shorter you may run into trouble with clearing the valve cover. I don't know that it would be a problem, it's just something to be aware of.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 4:08pm
My 66 air cleaner measures roughly 18-1/2” across the top length. 

This one on eBay measures about 14” along it’s top length.
The ugly air horn needs to be cut off.

It’s basically shorter length across the top because the carb hole is smaller.
I don’t understand how that effects valve cover clearance.

It uses the exact same filter element inside.
I’m using the PA2107 filters.

Edited by oldtime - 31 May 2022 at 4:29pm
Zero aftermarket parts

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2022 at 7:50am
I was wrong about interference with the valve cover. Overall length has no effect there. Where you may run into trouble is with the carb. As you can see in the picture below my choke assembly is sitting only about 1/2" away from the filter body. I honestly don't remember how close it was when I was running the Rochester.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2022 at 10:47am
I get that. 
Yes the 2G choke lever sets up high. 
If cleaner sets too low it hits the choke lever. 
If cleaner sets too high the hood clearance gets very tight.
I won’t be able to determine an exact clearance till the body and hood gets mounted.
I also have a standard Dauntless air cleaner but I think it’s about an inch too high.
For now this 66 Bronco cleaner looks like the best fit. 
I really like the way it clears my Carter sediment bowl which I mounted in the optimum location.

Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2022 at 2:25pm
This does not apply to the Bronco units being discussed,   but I thought I would share that am using stock air cleaner from '65 Oldsmobile.   There are probably lots of other models that would work as well.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 8:25pm
Jeepfever, I like that. 
No fancy valves and looks like it sets directly on the 2G.
Is the choke cable hooked up ?
Here’s my 1970 Dauntless filter set up. 
This filter requires a spacer,
Here’s the lowest spacer I could fabricate. 

Not sure if this thing will clear the low hood.
Had to lower my Carter sediment bowl to make it fit.

Edited by oldtime - 02 June 2022 at 8:38pm
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Jeepfever, I like that. 
No fancy valves and looks like it sets directly on the 2G.
Is the choke cable hooked up ?
Here’s my 1970 Dauntless filter set up. 
This filter requires a spacer,

Sets directly on 2G
The choke cable is not hooked up,  but I doubt would be an issue.
  (I ran heat-riser for years until it got flaky,  thought about manual choke,  but really like the electric one)
No spacer required for my setup,  (and looking at your photos,  if sediment filter is offset down like the '70, then seems that would easily clear without spacer.)
Edit:  Looking closer,  Ken,  this air cleaner might not clear your sediment filter without spacer.   (top of sediment filter looks to be in same plane at top of float bowl casting,   the airfilter appears to be on the same plane as gasket.  (at least 3/8" interference ?)

A few photos:

The bulge in air cleaner on passenger side is meant to clear the choke housing.   In photo, the air cleaner is rotated a little clockwise from where it actually sits.

This photo attempts to show bottom of air cleaner housing, in relation to carb etc.  

Same angle with air cleaner removed:   (everything above the blue connector and the fuel hose clamp are recessed into bottom of housing).

Let me know if any questions or comments.

-Ron

Edited by JeepFever - 02 June 2022 at 10:41pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 9:19pm
Ron, your Oldsmobile filter got me to doing some in-depth research on eBay asking questions and studying pics of various available old BOP air cleaners.
I learned a lot pretty quickly.
Most all air cleaners are oil bath prior to 1961.
Most air cleaners after 1967 have the addition of a heat riser valve.
So I concentrated on BOP air cleaners from 1962 through 1967.

I found lots of cleaners but this one looked like it could meet all my requirements.
2-5/8 bore direct fit with no riser (spacer) required.
No heat riser valve.
High clearance for choke control cable.
Clearance for Carter sediment bowl.

This one looked like the best fit.
Found a good deal, I bought it, I tried it and I got a huge smile on my face.
It’s a tad bigger round than I had wanted but maybe that’s actually a good thing.
This Buick cleaner fits direct to the carburetor and looks to set a bit lower than my Dauntless air cleaner with a custom low adapter.
In the end I need two cleaners for two Dauntless / low hood Jeeps.
So as of now I have three options.
May the best fit win !

Edited by oldtime - 14 June 2022 at 8:13am
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply