Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low profile carb search for F-134

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2018 at 8:33pm
This is what i ended up with. 😊

1960's ford Falcon 1904, professionally rebuilt with a 1year warranty
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 1:59am
also pictured is the adapter that converts from the Ford fitting to the the willy's stock fuel line fitting. Score!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 2:09am
Is that adapter hard to find or something?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Is that adapter hard to find or something?
Not 100% sure....
 but the carb builder thought it might be a hard bit to find, so i was elated my local shop had one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 2:56pm
bent my fuel line to match the fuel fitting, shaved down the throttle linkage a bit to clear the deck and now all i need to do is crank it down tight, adapt the fhead throttle linkage, fit my air horn and i'm off to the races

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 2:58pm
you can get a sense of how low profile it is in this pic:

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 3:07pm
that’s what I used on mine. I turned down the top of it so a stock air horn will slide down it. 
Jay
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 3:34am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Personally I would pass on that one.
Would you really be proud of that on your Jeep ?
Besides that.. you must add a custom spacer under the mounting flange.
That alone will nullify a critical part of its short height.

I advocate the old school  American made Holley 1908 with glass fuel well cover.
You will need to fabricate custom throttle linkage.
The advantage of the 1908 over the 1904 is the orientation of throttle linkage

When putting a Holley 1908 F-134 under a low hood flatty you will have be very creative to make it fit.
You will likely need to do all of these:
1) Small body lift about 1/2" works well, 
2) Slight hood raise about 1/8" works well, 
3) Modified air horn  (meaning flattened and widened), about 1/2" lower
4) Mill down the carburetor base of the F-head, about 1/4" mill depth

Otherwise you may need to somehow lower the front engine mounts.

Ken

I know this carb topic has surfaced a lot.  I have tried to read up on it as much as possible but I still need input.
You like the 1908 carb do to the throttle linkage.  this is a very important part of the conversion.

I found that Ford, Rambler, IH, and others have used the 1908.  Which one is best for the F head conversion?

Are the 1904, 1908, 1909, the same in height?    Then there is the 1920, 1940, Autolite 1111,  a lot of variables it seems.

Just trying to use what works best for the F head conversion.    Someday I will rebuild the L-134.

Thanks, Jim

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 9:56pm
I't's been a very long time since I had a Holley 1908.
If I recall correctly some Holley's may have throttle link that pulls from the opposite direction.

Quote     Which one is best for the F head conversion?
This goes to the very basics of installing an F-head into a low hood Jeep.
First and foremost the retrofit carburetor must function properly for the intended engine.
If it cannot perform correctly then why bother at all ?

All carburetor makes and models are designed differently.
They are calibrated to function at certain CFM's for specific displacements and at various crankshaft velocities.
A carburetors venturi must attain proper air velocity for the gasoline metering to be as is intended.
A donor carburetor must come from an engine having very similar displacement and RPM ratings.
If at all possible the donor engines carburetor should be with in 5% of the 134 cubic inch displacement.
Two carburetors may be the exact same make and model such as Holley 1908 but the venturi sizes and internal calibrations can differ greatly.
So for Holley only models 1904 and 1908 carburetors can fill that requirement.
But like I said many other 1904's and 1908's are totally inappropriate due to the donor engine specifications.

There just were not very many engines of that era having similar CFM requirements as the Willys 134's. 
But for now I will say the best carburetors available from that era are the: Carter YH the Holley 1904 /1908, and  Zenith 11681709.

The only appropriate side drafting Carter YH #3311, #3569 or #3586.
The donor vehicles were the 145 cubic inch 1962 and 1963  Corvairs (Only the turbos with single carburetors)

The only appropriate down draft is the Holley 1904  or perhaps the  1908. 
The donor engines were 1960 through 1962 Ford 144 cubic inch engines and perhaps Ford 144 from 1963 and 1964 ???
There are very many of these 1904 / 1908 Holleys around .
Some with auto choke, other with manual and also various linkage configurations.
I would have to do some more research to determine what specific  Holley numbers could be serviceable. 

The other side draft is the Zenith 1168709.
The donor is the 141.5 cubic inch AM General M151 A1.

Other much older designed carburetors might also work.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 5:33am
Ken, thanks for the informative post.  Seems there's a lot to learn on this carb conversion.

Now let me muddy it up even more.

Spoke with a guy that used the pinto carb....from a 1600 motor.  He said it will clear the hood as well. Anyone have input on this ?

Thanks, Jim

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 3:30pm
No experience but the Pinto used several different engines of various discplacements. 
I doubt that any were within 5% of Willys 134.
 Also the RPM of a Pinto engine was much higher than a Willys. 
That will also have a distinct effect upon the carburetors metering requirements.
I would shy away from those unless you just want to experiment or do a bit of research on the various Pinto carburetors.
To have one handy is one thing but buying a carburetor that may or may not function correctly is another.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 3:27pm
Good morning, i’m not on this site much anymore having offloaded the willys to the next owner. (Who is doing a great job with it, last time i saw it.) i did want to put my final .02 in on the topic. 

As far as i’m concerned this was a very successful swap done for a very small amount of cash. F134 motor was $500, and falcon carb was about $400. Everything else bolted up like exhaust, bellhousing, etc. had do some hood massaging and fab up a custom drivers side motor mount but man-o-man, this engine-carb combo runs like a bat outa hell with tons of power and great throttle response. 

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 24 June 2019 at 3:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 4:57pm
Great that it worked out.  Wish folks who did this conversion would write up how and what to use for it.  Especially pics of the throttle linkage mods and air scoop mods. I'm still thinking of doing the F head thing since I have one sitting around.  

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2019 at 12:33pm
I had a similar result. Lower left motor mount, trim hood flange, Holley 1920 with glass bowl (PO called it a 1920, but I really think it might be a 1908) and a minor throttle linkage modification. Had to "ding" the valve cover slightly for carb clearance.
On a newly remanufactured F134 I'm pulling 21 inches of vacuum and it runs great.
PM me with an email address and I can send some pix.
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
denzryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denzryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 5:34pm
Wk willys, 
I am about to do the same conversion. Please forward some pics, 
DENNIS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 5:51pm

carter YJ side draft carb
early corvette, corvair, and others..
1961 ford, mercury 170 6 cyld.  Holley 1904 carb  

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 7:26pm
   Jim,
   It doesn't look like you've sent that off to Scoutpilot yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

Jim,
   It doesn't look like you've sent that off to Scoutpilot yet.

You are correct sir!!!!    Once I have a "rolling Chassis"  and find that the F-134 motor is good, then I will send it out to the carb Guru.  Cross your fingers and toes!Big smile
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>