Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lower Transfer Case Gears

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 1:24pm
All this AND a weekend of wheeling too. Good thing sleep is optional for you.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
GeorgiaFlattie View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgiaFlattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 1:51pm
5.07 vs 5.13 is a drop in the bucket imo.

I'm running a T18 behind a 4cyl and really looking forward to getting a set of these gears in the future.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 3:48pm
Slowly but surely, I am ironing out the kinks in production. Testing is a lot of work but all forward progress. I am in the process of making more gears now along with extra input gears for experimentation. This has been the trickiest part because the 6 spline inner changes after heat treat and it’s hard to predict, at least on the 9310 material. The 8620 I think I have down.

These are initially broached with a production pull broach but I’ve had this special single tooth broach made to chase the splines and make them a little deeper so that when they come back from heat treat, they are within tolerance. Apparently Jack O’Brein had the same problem:

This is the input gear from my Rockeater 3.6 set. The internal spline measures, 1.384, I.e. .009 clearance between it and the shaft.

Edited by jpet - 27 Apr. 2022 at 3:49pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 8:43am
Does anyone out there have a 20 tooth gear out of a later D20 box that can take some measurements for me?

I sent this sacrificial gear off to be annealed and then rehardened to see how much it would shrink but now I can’t find my notes of what the original measurement is.   I am measuring it over 5/16” dowel pins. Mine measures 3.860-3.862. If you don’t have dowel pins you can use drill bits, just tell me what the diameter of the drill bit shank is. Thanks!!

This gear is from a CJ5 case with a 2.03 final ratio.

Edited by jpet - 28 Apr. 2022 at 8:46am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 10:49am
Jeff, are you thinking about marketing those girrdle plates?  Are you going to make a piece to join the two?  I was actually going to do the same thing but mine wouldn't look near as nice.  Maybe making the cover and base griddle out of a single chunck of 6061.

Sign me up!

I have a D20 intermediate gear on the shop wall but I don't have any idea what that unit came from-picked it up in the scrap yard for $15.  The case of which is what is presently in my 3B.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

Jeff, are you thinking about marketing those girrdle plates?  Are you going to make a piece to join the two?  I was actually going to do the same thing but mine wouldn't look near as nice.  Maybe making the cover and base griddle out of a single chunck of 6061.

Sign me up!

Yes, and yes.

I think I want to remake the PTO cover so that it has a flat bottom that extends flush to the pan girdle. Take the radius out of the pan girdle and bolt the two together. Mine are made of steel and the bolt holes are on-size in hopes of keeping it rigid. I can make you a set.

Do you want to send me an 18 tooth intermediate gear, use the 21 tooth one I have already, or wait till I’ve run my set more?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Sign me up!

Yes, and yes.

I think I want to remake the PTO cover so that it has a flat bottom that extends flush to the pan girdle. Take the radius out of the pan girdle and bolt the two together. Mine are made of steel and the bolt holes are on-size in hopes of keeping it rigid. I can make you a set.

Do you want to send me an 18 tooth intermediate gear, use the 21 tooth one I have already, or wait till I’ve run my set more?

I've got a pretty decent one that is already machined for roller bearings I will get off to you this week.

Thanks!
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 8:43pm
My measurement for a used Dana 18-5-10 D20 gear, using Jergens 5/16 dowl pins that are 0.3129" dia, is 3.8665".
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 11:13am

Got the T90C with the Dana 18/X98 transfer case and PTO cog gear installed / tested this weekend.

Man does this thing crawl nice!  Something like 92 to 1.

I will post a few videos later this week.  The PTO engages and runs like it should - still need to put the PTO winch under load.

Edited by Stev - 09 May 2022 at 1:25pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 11:48am
Sweet ! A real one of a kind !
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 1:37pm
Thanks for posting that Steve. Can’t wait to see “the Saint” in action next week. There will be 4 Jeeps running these gears at Southington and the Spring Reunion. 3 of which are in the “Locker Stocker” class and of course BAM BAM.   The V6 with 4 speed is still in experimental mode but I am very close to pulling the trigger on a production run for the 4 cylinder group.

Here is a little info from the R&D department at Sim Products:

This 18 tooth, 6DP gear will be easier to make than the 21 tooth 7DP gear because, there is a bigger gap between teeth so I can use bigger tooling. This test is made from Aluminum. I’m getting ready to run one out of 8620.

I’m actually still thinking of keeping the bolt together design to save on material and so I can keep more of the work in house. I think I’ve proven to myself that the bolt together shrink fit design will not be the weak link in this assembly.

If anyone is more than a tire kicker and wants to get in on this next run of gears, please PM me. I have high hopes that these gears will take the locker stocker class to the next level. thanks!!

Edited by jpet - 09 May 2022 at 1:39pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 8:44pm
Very cool! nice work! 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2022 at 6:47am

Got the replacement input gears finished. These are to fix the 9310 input gears that shrank after heat treating. I’ll finally be able to finish up duffer’s set snd get them out hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for your patience. It looks like the broach I had made is gong to do the trick.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 6:06pm
Jeff,

After talking with you at Rush Springs and trying out another members jeep with your X98 gears,  I think the is best mod a locker stocker can do!!!  

1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 8:55pm
This weekend was another 2 days of what I would call abusive wheeling. Lots of horsepower in Midwest muddy creeks and ditches. I decided that if I am going to gun it hard, I would not use low range but to go to granny low in high range. Less stress on the spur gears and puts all the load on the X98 super gears. At one point I tried to jerk an SXS out of a ditch backwards with my kinetic rope and I ended up in permanent neutral .... turns out that the torque was so great that the force of the helix on the gears stripped the locking nut right off:

To be fair, this is a nylock that I have used more than once. I had a stock nut but the force also messed up some threads on the end of the main shaft.

... to solve this issue, I started the jeep, put the tranny in reverse and chases the thread with a 3 sided file. Then flush the case and replace the oil.

Gears look great. I put a lot of torque on these gears this weekend in mud holes and climbing out of slick ditches and I purposely put some power to them. If they are going to fail, I’d prefer it to be close to home. Even though I did break the slide gear, last April, the X98 supers have gone through

EJS
Rush Springs
Southington
Rausch Creek
Terry’s farm.

Edited by jpet - 19 June 2022 at 8:59pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 10:23pm
Interesting .... so the "Helical Gears" and "A Lot Of Torque" actually forced the Input gear up the shaft and Stripped the nut! .... Maybe that is a good thing?  The weeker Nut acted like a Fuse?  Saved something else by letting go first?

Edited by 43 Flat-Fender - 08 Oct. 2022 at 11:19pm
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 11:22am
I think this is one place the early castle nut/cotter key main shaft would be the better choice for this.  That nut appears to be much more robust with more thread engagement.

Edited by duffer - 20 June 2022 at 11:24am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 12:33pm

I think this is one place the early castle nut/cotter key main shaft would be the better choice for this.  That nut appears to be much more robust with more thread engagement.
Agreed. This main shaft came from Novak and it doesn’t not have a hole for a cotter pin. Next time I have the TC out, I’ll drill one.

Girdles seem to be holding up well:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>