Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lower Transfer Case Gears

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2020 at 11:59pm
Yeah I hear ya Jeff. I sometimes wish I had access to a grinder on a lathe.
Okie doke .118 is acceptable since you  just converted it English standard for me. Ha ha ha !
Looks like your pushing the gear sizing to it’s absolute physical  limits.
Hope that 3mm provides enough tooth strength. Fingers crossed.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 12:29am
You had me going there Bob.

I guess I have a heated welding table and never knew it.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 1:20am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

....Hope that 3mm provides enough tooth strength. Fingers crossed.
I am not at a spot to measure them, but because I have an enlarged pinion, the teeth on the pinion are actually wider, probably more than a 19 tooth 8DP

The differential pinion seems to do ok and it is an 8 tooth and is under way more torque than this set of gears that only has a single 3.34 reduction after the motor. Also, this TC is intended for an L or F head with a T90-C. I have high confidence actually.

Edited by jpet - 19 July 2020 at 1:25am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 1:49am
An enlarged pinion, does it hurt?
john
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:01am
Yeah I’m guessing if anything gives it’s going to be drive gear. Due to it’s small diameter the 19 teeth will get more use. Probably a stretch to compare it to the differential pinion.
So my decision to sell my T90C Jeep in favor of my current T98A Jeep  may prove to be not so wise. It’s got me all on edge..........
Cause here I’m nearing the completion of my F-134 powered crawler.
Anyway I still got Warn overdrive .... YEEE HA !

Is this thing destined for X-98 ?

Edited by oldtime - 19 July 2020 at 2:05am
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

I also picked up a well used welding table with pre and post heat capability. Things are nowhere near ready to weld yet, but I wanted to test the new welding table. The transfer case fit well and while it was heating up there was a nice aroma of hamburgers and 90 weight gear lube in the air. After 1/2 hour the case was 455*F which is close the the 500*F I was shooting for.

Is that a Lincoln or Hobart welding table?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:10am

Is this thing destined for X-98 ?

If everything works out X98 will have these transfer case gears. They may show up in other Willys Jeeps we all know. Currently X98 has 4.10 Rockeater gears. I designed the Jeep around using Rockeater 4.86 gears, but they were not, and are still not available. The 4.10 ratio is just a bit too fast for East Coast rock. I can not steer fast enough to avoid obstacles at times.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:12am

Anyway I still got Warn overdrive .... YEEE HA !

In my opinion Warn should have made an Underdrive.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:12am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Is that a Lincoln or Hobart welding table?

It works with both.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:20am
Originally posted by uncamoney uncamoney wrote:

An enlarged pinion, does it hurt?
Well without getting technical, you can only grow so much. Basically, you grow the od of the gear but the cutter depth is still at the same depth. As I said earlier, the correct center distance for this set is 4.252

Pitch diameter = DP * tooth count
Center distance = (pitch diameter A + pitch diameter 2)/2

These formulas make a gear set with zero backlash

If you pull up the Novak gear selection guide, you can calculate that some of Dana’s stock gears had natural center distances of 4.250 even though the enter distance on the Case is 4.2857, I.e. the engineers at Dana did the same thing.

Ken, I doubt this is as good of a setup as a T-98. IMO, there is not any real reason to use a case like this if you can do a T98. This is a locker-stocker thing.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:28am
Also, if it makes you feel better, Jack O’Brein’s 4:10 gear set also uses a 19 tooth pinion:

The only reason Bob and I got started on these is because Jack is not making 4.86:1 and there is no indication that he will anytime soon. If he were, we would be first in line. These gears are probably not as good as Jack’s   He is an expert at gears and metallurgy. He has his own custom tooth profile. Most of what I know about gears, I have learned in the last couple months.

Edited by jpet - 19 July 2020 at 2:40am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 3:33am
Yes Bob I do recall that your running the J Obrian 4.10 gear set.
 If I recall Jack said they are actually 4.07.
Looks like we may never see anymore of his 4.86 gear sets.
So Yeah that explains why your going all out for the 5.18 ratio.

Bob do you recall the underdrive that was discussed on the 3B forum a few years back ?

Yeah Jeff, Jacks gears are perhaps wider to help compensate for the small 19 tooth drive. But then again lots of his are being mated to higher HP.
Anyway I got my T98 to tuck up to the same ground clearance as a standard T90. About the only thing I don’t like about it is the extra
100 pounds. It’s presently at 84/1 crawl ratio with standard transfer case gears. And OD gives me ample gear selections.
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 4:40am
I assume that the 4.10 set is actually 4.07
(49/19)8DP*(33/18)6DP

Since the 4.86 set uses the same 19 tooth input gear, it would have to be (49/19)8DP*34/18)..... but he has to use a special cutter because a 34/18 gear set would have like a 6.0665 DP which is non standard.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 11:55am

Bob do you recall the underdrive that was discussed on the 3B forum a few years back ?

Yes. Jeff and I have been discussing an underdrive for many years.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Yes. Jeff and I have been discussing an underdrive for many years.
Aaron Holdaway is the one who successfully mounted the planetary under-drive from a Wagoneer transfer case to a dana 18. He has drawings for a production retrofit kit.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Y2GREY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2GREY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 3:01pm
As I recall the underdrive unit was indeed developed from a Quadratrac unit. I may have a link to the article someplace. I was lucky enough to be path the right place at the right time and score one on Jack's completely assembled and never run 4:86 cases some years ago. It's running behind a 225 and T18 with 4.27 rears. I have the setup and case mod instructions I can post if your interested.

Edited by Y2GREY - 19 July 2020 at 3:04pm
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Y2GREY Y2GREY wrote:

I was lucky enough to be path the right place at the right time and score one on Jack's completely assembled and never run 4:86 cases some years ago. It's running behind a 225 and T18 with 4.27 rears. I have the setup and case mod instructions I can post if your interested.

I'd like to see the instructions. I'd really like to know the tooth count on the gears.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 5:36pm
Yes. I’m very interested in the tooth count if you have access
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>