Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 fuel pick up question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38 fuel pick up question
    Posted: 15 July 2020 at 8:37pm
Would anybody happen to know what would be the minimum distance allowed between the fuel inlet (fuel filter inlet) at the bottom of the pick up and the bottom of the tank?  I am redoing my pick up and don't want to leave it higher than necessary.  I've had it up about 1/4" in the past and that worked fine, but wondering if I can go closer like 1/8" or so.  Looked through the manual and can not find this figure.  Thank you!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:26am
Tom, Is your tank a "stock" M38 tank or repop? I'll take a look at my M38 TM's to see if there is any dimensioning documented.. I see no reason there would be a problem setting the pickup as low as possible as long as it was not rubbing on the tank bottom.. Muley

Edited by RICKG - 19 July 2020 at 2:30am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 2:50am
Hi Rick,
The short answer is "I don't know".  It did not come with the jeep but I bought it 12 years ago from Bessinger as what I recall was a NOS tank.  I bought the pickup at the same time from them but I think it may be aftermarket.  It looks just like the OE pick ups but it had the "modern" filter at the end which is connected by a rubber line connecting to the steel line that comes down from the top.  BTW, I see now that they are no longer offering the M38 pick up like this one.

Now then, I have made an improvement.  I got rid of the "modern" style filter and the rubber line, and made a new steel line which runs from where it attaches to the pick up "base" all the way down to just above the bottom of the tank.  This way, there is no way that air could get into the line when the fuel level drops low.  I even fit a small filter to the end of the steel line to keep sediment out.  It is a clean, efficient design and is working well.

The thing is, I want to have it go as low in the tank as possible for the obvious reason - I don't want fuel "starvation" if the fuel level is low and I'm going up a steep hill.  This has happened to me too many times and I'm tired of it.  So...improving on the situation where I can.

I don't have any M38 specs so don't know what the standard is for a pick up like this.  Right now I have it terminating 1/4" above the bottom of the tank.  But that leaves about (guessing) 1.5 gallons of fuel in the tank that is unusable below the terminus of the pick up.  In a perfect world I would like to have a small "sump" pressed into the bottom of the tank below the pickup so that fuel would always be available to the pick up, even going up steep hills.  But that is a wish list for another day.

Thank you, Rick...I appreciate your help!

Tom
1949 CJ3A

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 3:23am
I could find no spec in the TM. The pickup dimension to the bottom of the tank, as designed is "fixd" bythe length of the tube inside the filter..

Edited by RICKG - 19 July 2020 at 3:25am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply