Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 "The Moose"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2017 at 11:42pm
post several pics of your winch, looks like an interesting cross between a Belleview winch and a Ramsey winch. Great story on saving the moose!  Having had lots of Moosehead lager in my day the phrase works well!!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 4:53am
I’ll post more pictures of the winch. It’s pretty hilariously oversized for the moose but it is neat.

Here’s a question: Does anybody know how to polarize or re energize the 24v generator for the m38? I’ve searched high and low and some say apply +24v to the field coil others (not willys applications)  say apply it to the armature. The excerpts from the “vernco” website which seems down say to confirm by disassembling the generator which to do then he goes on to mention applying voltage to the armature. I’m pretty sure this is on the 12v generators. Also he states to confirm whether it is a type A or B generator I believe to distinguish between the two. The thing is I don’t want to take apart the generator to check if I don’t have to. His information seems the most trusted but it is counter to many of the other places online that say apply voltage to the field coil. 

I did source a test lead kit so I can do it with the posts on the pigtail for the generator in that kit.

Any thoughts?
Marco
1951 M38
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 7:41pm
I would ask this question on the M38-M38A1 section over on the G503 page.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 8:26pm
Great Idea!
Marco
1951 M38
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 8:27pm
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=129
Not sure if you can open this if not a member, all M38 manuals are free to download here.

Edited by RICKG - 21 Dec. 2017 at 8:29pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 11:34pm
G503 to the rescue!  I got most of the TM's but was missing this one. Somebody over there had a similar issue and a forum member pointed them to the right manual.

I needed manual # 

DA Pamphlet 750-33

Edited by rover67 - 31 Dec. 2017 at 11:36pm
Marco
1951 M38
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2017 at 11:37pm
I am planning to rebuild the steering while the motor is out and also address the brakes. It seems like the MC and steering box are more easily accessed now rather than later..
Marco
1951 M38
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2018 at 4:48am
Any updates on this thread, it is one of my favorites. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 4:15pm
Sadly the moose has taken a back seat for a bit. I expect to get back on it maybe come January or February. We decided to build a race car for the 24hrs of Lemons, raced it twice, renovated or rental home, and started an addition and renovation or our house that the Moose is at. So now it’s a race to finish that and get 220 back to the garage so I can work on it again.. after we move back into the house. 

I did get the tranny and t case in it and had an issue with the clutch not disengaging so I need to figure that out. I also did get the overdrive main drum worked on by Herm... so that’s good. I also realized the steering pitman arm is worn out at the splines and is different on the M38 vs the other trucks so I have been looking for a cheap replacemt which is proving difficult to find. So there has been very minor progress.. :)
Marco
1951 M38
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2019 at 3:41am
Back at it!!!

Started putting the overdrive back together again with new bearings and the rebuilt parts from Herm. Hopefully I can take the tranny off of the motor soon to figure out what I did wrong with the clutch.

Here are a few shots of the progress on the overdrive:

Marco
1951 M38
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2019 at 3:44am
here’s Herm’s handiwork:

Marco
1951 M38
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2019 at 5:48am
Well one step forwards one step back I guess... I forgot the nut and washer that go on the input for the overdrive needed to go in before the spider gears so apart it all came again. Maybe I’ll get it together in the next day or so...

Marco
1951 M38
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2019 at 5:49am
And since it’s apart... does anybody know which way around the spider gears go? They have a step on one side so it pushes them one way or another in the housing. I’m not sure it matters but I guessed the first time based on advanced adapters exploded view of the Saturn overdrive...
Marco
1951 M38
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2019 at 5:54am
Originally posted by rover67 rover67 wrote:

... does anybody know which way around the spider gears go?

I'm sure you meant to say, "planetary gears".  Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2019 at 6:08am
Ahh yes! The planetary gears! Sorry about that. I have an ARB locker right next to this overdrive and am currently looking for a spider gear for it so that term was on my mind :/

Edited by rover67 - 15 Mar. 2023 at 2:56pm
Marco
1951 M38
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 9:41pm
What brand and model is that winch, it looks cewl

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

rover67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rover67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 2:48pm
Finally back at it! My daughter is now 5 so she's started to help with the project. We pulled the motor a few evenings ago for several reasons.

1. T case leaked like a seive from the output seals
2. The clutch seemed jammed somehow. The clutch fingers are totally pushed in but the disk won't spin freely. Couldn't get it to release after I got the motor in and running.
3. I couldnt get the new steering arm on the steering box with the motor in place. The old one was totally loose and I had mistakenly ordered one for a CJ-2A rather than an M38. The M38 has bigger splined shaft than the cj-2a. Anybody need the arm for a CJ-2A? 
4. The brake master cylinder was leaking just sitting there. I tried to rebuild it and was not succesful.. I bought a new one I will replace the old one with

A few more things: I sold the winch and overdrive to help fund the build. I don't think I'll miss the overdrive since we live in the mountains and it is STEEP everywhere. 

Marco
1951 M38
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 4:31pm
You will miss the overdrive
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>