Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 tool indent measurements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet72tnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38 tool indent measurements
    Posted: 02 Feb. 2012 at 11:47pm
Can someone post the length, depth and width of the two tool indents on an m38 tub under the door. I am thinking of adding them to my non original cj3a

Thanks
Insert some clever signature here...
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2012 at 11:56pm
I don't know if MB/CJ2A tool indents are the same or not, but if someone else can confirm it, here are some drawings that I made:

Tool indent measurements

Edit: The mirror image of course.

Edited by jpet - 02 Feb. 2012 at 11:59pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2012 at 1:37am
Thanks for the repost on these specs. I am going to add them to my tub.(Someday) I ve been on a big Jeep tool kick lately). Would like to print them out, but having trouble. How hard is it to fab these? I believe I saw a post way back about a fella on the Forum that actually builds the panel, and you just weld it in. WAIT,Embarrassed what i mean to also ask is the m38 is on the passengers side, is it mirrored to the 2A???

Edited by Haines Garage - 04 Feb. 2012 at 1:39am
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2012 at 2:01am
Repros are available from a couple of places for either MB/GPW or M38.  

Tom
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2012 at 2:07am
OOOHHHH YYYEAAAH! And the price seems right too. Ill have some of these.Thumbs Up. Thanks for the post. I saved this guy in my favorites!
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2012 at 2:17am
They are repros so some assembly and adjustment will be required!  Similar panels are available for the passenger side of the M38 body but a quick search hasnt turned them up yet.  Midwest Military had them at one time but I don't see them posted any longer.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2012 at 6:26pm
Hey SilverBullet, 

I did to my 3A what you want to do to yours, using JPet's drawings.  They turned out pretty nice. 
I didn't want to replace the entire panel for a couple reasons.  My existing panels were in decent shape, and I can't afford new panels.

This is how they turned out:

I built the cut outs to Jpets specs. With the tool box out, I kept setting them on the interior surface and trimming them to size until they fit snuggly in place.  I then used them as a template and cut the indents out of my existing panels.  I stitch welded them into the newly created holes.  If you try it my way, I recommend cutting just one indent at a time, then welding it back in.  I did both at the same time and had a little trouble with the panels wanting to deform.

Tim
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2012 at 8:29pm

Looks like you did a fine job from here....nice looking jeep.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2012 at 3:40am
i think that you did a nice job , and yes that nice looking jeep.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
hosemonkey143 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hosemonkey143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 3:39pm
Hi Tim,

Are you able to share these photos of your tool indents? Your images aren't showing up anymore unfortunately.

Thanks

Peter
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 7:40pm
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 7:45pm
I don't know if it will help with this eleven year old thread, but I can share what I did to add the indents to the right side of a 2a. M38 panels were out of stock at most of the suppliers when I was looking for them. I just followed Jpet's drawing- it was fairly accurate.

Mid way down p. 13
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply