Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 trans cover plate & CJ2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38 trans cover plate & CJ2
    Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 11:51am
Anyone have experience using a M38 trans cover plate assembly plate on a CJ2?  My '46 was a welder Jeep (long gone). The PO's patch job wasn't very good.
Appreciate input.
Bob
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 11:55am
Yes you could do it, would make future repairs much easier, but finding the m38 trans cover may be difficult.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
2/14Marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2/14Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 1:52pm
Walcks has the repo cover for $129

If you have to replace your front floor and not worried about originality would be a good mod.

Javier
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 3:05pm
What exactly is the benefit other than fixing the bad spot in the tub with the M38 plate?  You can get to the bell housing inspection plate through the standard CJ2A Tub.  I can see it being easier to get to the bolts on the back of the engine when pulling the engine.  But other than that everything else still is accessed from the bottom.   

I am asking because I have thought about doing this modification.   I have the plate and a jeep with transmission hump / floor issue.  I also wonder if there is anything that should be done structurally different to reinforce the tub when doing this.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 5:39pm
I can't share the "long term" benefit of having the large opening,  but sure seems like it will be nice at times.   Especially if pulling motor etc.

The floor in my '3A project was really bad,  so I was not too concerned with keeping original, and used one of the M-38 panels from Walcks .

One benefit I found ->  it is possible to pull the tub off of frame without removing the steering wheel.   :-)

If interested in what it looks like on an unfinished project,   there are some photos at:
http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1414729355/135

I was a little concerned about tub integrity also,  and cut off some of the M38 panel,  so that it did not go so high up into the firewall.  

This photo shows the tub upside down,  but it shows the cutout pretty well.

edit:  photo did not work with url,  so added to 2Apage

Edited by JeepFever - 13 Sep. 2017 at 9:05pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 2:44am
Very nice work.  I am thinking if do modify the tub I would consider - adding a glove box, two rear tire chain boxes like the MB and a bed box using a second tool box lid mounted in the rear bed.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 2:46am
I bought a set of the covers for my old 3a but never did it. She is gone now. 
Jay
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 4:37am
Appreciate the responses.  Spent some quality time on a creeper under the Jeep and figured it all out.  What I thought was a bad patch job isn't the case.  It's a early CJ2A, was a column shift converted to a floor shift.  Apparently the floor opening for the trans is shorter and a PO cut the floor and peeled it back to provide room to pull the trans/transfer case.  After reinstalling he welded the cut.  May have to do the same thing.
I will be using a M38 cover to mitigate a hacked up tunnel on a 3B body in the future.  
If only these old Jeeps could talk, imagine the stories....
Thanks, 
Bob
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Very nice work.  I am thinking if do modify the tub I would consider - adding a glove box, two rear tire chain boxes like the MB and a bed box using a second tool box lid mounted in the rear bed.  

My previous Jeep experience has been with CJ5s, but I'm firmly of the opinion that you can never have too many places to stash stuff in a Jeep.  

The 2nd tool box in the bed floor is one I haven't thought of.  I might just steal that idea.  

Post Reply Post Reply