Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38A1 Body on CJ2A Frame- Will it work??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38A1 Body on CJ2A Frame- Will it work??
    Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 10:16am
M38A1 Body on CJ2A Frame- Will it work??  I have a 2A frame and I have picked up an M38A1 body.  I would like to put the body on the frame.  I have read some threads on this subject and have not been able to come to a conclusion.  Many of the threads that I found are putting a CJ body on an M38A1 frame.  I want to do the opposite.  Does anyone here have any experience or knowlege on this subject?  Can I expect to have to reposition the body mount brackets on the frame?  I know that the 2A wheel base is 80" and the M38A1 is 81".  What problems like wheel rub and mounts not alligning can I expect to encounter on this swap?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 11:43am
the M38a1 tub is longer then the two A frame.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Adventure Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

the M38a1 tub is longer then the two A frame.
I have read that it is anywhere from 1 to 1.5" longer.  Does anyone here have any experience with this swap?  
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 2:51pm
  I once researched going the other way - flatfender body on M38A1 frame, and Mark has done it. 
  All dimensions as I recall, are the same from the pedals to the rear axle. The extra 1” in wheelbase is between the pedals and the front axle. So I think the A1 tub will sit on the 2A frame but the body will overhang the rear crossmember. A bumper could be built to overcome that. The front wheels will be 1” back in the fenders from where they would be in the stock A1. The grille will probably overhang the mounts as well. I think the pedals and the steering column will be ok. 
  Don’t take any of this as gospel, it’s what I remember and it’s been 20 years or so. Use it as food for thought. 
BW 

Edit to add:  you might run into interference between the engine and firewall. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 10 Sep. 2021 at 2:54pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 4:27pm
Bruce, I appreciate the detailed explaination.  That is helpful and though, I understand not gospel, it will get me thinking in the right direction.  

Mark, is the build that Bruce mentions on here?  

It seems like everyone has experience in dropping 2A bodies on M38A1 frames, but not the other way around. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 4:52pm
yes there is a 120 page project thread on CHUG A LUG in the project section. I can tell you what it takes to put a 2A on a 5 frame and you can infer from that So when it says things like to long think to short etc.

Early CJ-5 frame under 2A 3A 3B

From the Riser back the 5 frame is 2.5" to long. It will need to be either cut to fit or a filler put in place to allow the 4 rear tub body bolts something to attach to.

You will need to add 3 Body mounts to the sides of the frame and the mounts in the middle of the rear floor will not line up.

If you are going to use a 2A front engine plate you will either need to move the Left Motor Mount to the rear to line up or use some sort of adapter to relocate the
motor mount itself. 3A and 3B this should not be a problem.

You have to use the CJ5 Transmission cross member as it attaches to the frame completely different then a 2A cross member does. I believe 3A and 3B use the
same as the 5

The Front fender gussets will not match up to the threaded holes in the frame you will either have to relocate the Gusset or drill new holes and put in some sort
of threaded insert no access to the back.

The front shocks will hit the 2A inner fenders in a different place so new cut outs will have to be made in the inner fender panels. Again not a problem for 3A and later models

On a 2A you will have to add the bottom radiator mounts the 5 uses a grill mount as does the 3A and 3B

The 5 Frame uses longer springs then the earlier CJ's if you shorten the frame in the rear you will have to make custom rear shackle mounts that extend back
they have to be 44" from the Spring hangers.

I have  a 56-57 CJ-5 frame under my 2A tub. Its been there since before my dad bought the Jeep in 1962. The previous owner never did any mods to the frame
he just welded the front fender gussets to the frame and left the tub flap in the breeze in the back. Dad ran it that way cause it was working.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 5:19pm
Thanks for your time Mark to write that up.  Your information, no doubt, will help solve at least one piece of my puzzle!
 Post Reply Post Reply