Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38's
    Posted: 31 May 2007 at 11:27pm
I'm new here and I have an opportunity to buy an M38 that is very original, straight and solid - No rust. It's not cheap. Are M38's sought after? Or are they just another MV? Would I be better off with a CJ2A or CJ3A. I've never owned a flat fender but I'm starting to kick the tires on a few.

Edited by overton - 31 May 2007 at 11:28pm
www.lcnation.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 12:25am
They are actually the most 'improved' or 'engineered' of the flatfenders. A little heavier duty components in some places. A good one to 'use' for a trailrunner.........opinions vary, but the 24 volt system I would change to 12 unless you want the expense of the stock system.....just my opinion.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 8:44am

M38's are very desirable.  and keep it 24 volt, the system is not hard at all.  I got to put 13 miles on mine a couple of days ago, first time on the road in 5 years.

TOM R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:02am
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums
here is the m38 board you have to register but lots of pics and info
for mg42 talk goto www.mg42.us
46 CJ2A
T24/m29 WEASEL
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
my project http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=7008
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:49am
Overton

Great to see another Iowan.... trapped behind the corn curtain. When I was a lad I  sold soap from overton chemical company out of Sumner. Long time ago.
I agree with Roc on the  M38, heavier duty and some nice features. It might be my favorite flat fender, if only it had the split windshield. Good luck on you bargaining. 
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 3:10pm
I've had a couple M38s...both were pretty darned rough. Lots of rust through and such. One ran and drove but only stopped on uphill grades, the other one's engine looked like a rust milkshake inside. They were advertised blatantly honest as to their condition.

running one brought $1575.
non running one brought $1225.

I guess what I'm saying is that in the worst shape, they still bring "some" money. 
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 3:45pm

Overton,

If you decide you'd rather have a CJ over the M38, I can chase down a couple for you to choose from.  I prefer the M38, and if you don't want to invest in the one you're looking at, I'd be interested in talking with you about it.  I agree with the posts above, they're built a bit tougher than most CJs, and there are fewer of them around.  Only built about 3 years, all for government contracts. 

If you do get it, and it's 24 volt, I'd keep it that way.  You'll get more out of it later. 

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
overton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 11:57pm
Well I think I'm going to have to sell one of my cherry FJ40's before I take the plunge with a Jeep. Money is a good thing! Now I'm thinking more of the M38 or the M38A1 rather than the CJ. The common wisdom is that the Military models seem to hold the value better than the CJ's.

Edited by overton - 01 June 2007 at 11:58pm
www.lcnation.com
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 8:22am
overton,
Ouch, OUCH,........The truth hurts sometimes.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

overton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote overton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 7:07pm
Didn't mean to offend - That's just what someone said - I don't think any of these jeeps are getting cheaper.
www.lcnation.com
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 11:16pm
Sometimes the truth hurts... Military is more sought after.
  The 2a will hold it's value. The things that will get more spendy are the toys that go with them. That is something that seems to be the big dollar items lately.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:16pm
Overton, Just a warning...if you don't scratch the civilian itch it will only fester and with time, consume your entire brain.

I know Mil stuff holds it's value...but think of this. Once you have a restored Jeep...what are you going to do to continue the hobby? There's only so much you can add to a Mil Jeep for accessories....a 1919 on a gun mount plus some belt gear and other Mil surplus....maybe a trailer.

With an early civilian Jeep, you can add a PTO to drive a buzz saw, three point lift for running a brush hog or plow, or disc... trencher, snow blade, post hole digger, disc, spring tooth harrow...the list goes on and on.

I dunno, but myself, I can see this early civilian stuff passing up the mil stuff in the future...there's just so much more to it and it all happens to be stuff a guy can really use around the farm, or just for entertainment.

Heck, I tilled the garden with my Jeep-A-Trench this year...what more fun could a redneck want?

While the 1919 can be fun, you can't really use it for it's intended purpose...well, unless you have some real unruly neighbors.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 6:35pm
Doug's right you know.  I've always prefered M38's, but with the restoration of Kate's CJ, I'm seeing all kinds of possibilities for my next rebuild-it-project.  I sure wish I had a plow for my jeep. 

Hey Doug, would you come plow a bit of garden for me??
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:23pm
Mike...pretty sure you could buy a tiller for what it would cost in gas for me to come out there...LOL. Sure wouldn't be nearly as entertaining though. Fun to put toys to work once in a while.

I shot a vid with my camera phone, but the darn thing won't let me send it to my PC Angry
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Doug Doug wrote:

Fun to put toys to work once in a while.

Plus, it makes it easier to explain the need to have them sitting around all the time too to the other half of the relationship. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:51pm
I gave up on trying to splain all of it...fortunately, she gave up on trying to curb my addiction LOL...but yeah, it does probably help a smidge.

Truth is, at the going rate now days... the trencher will have paid for itself with the work I'm doing with it....as long as I opt to forget one of the local contractors I work with regularly will loan me his "modern" trencher for no more than the cost of fuel. No fun in that.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Doug Doug wrote:

Truth is, at the going rate now days... the trencher will have paid for itself with the work I'm doing with it

Yeah, I kinda figured that might be true too after I read what you were doing.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 3:20pm
In the "Workhorses of Industry" video they remarked of the penny per foot cost of operation...I'll have to see how well that holds true today...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply