Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MAHL Jeep Loader for CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MAHL Jeep Loader for CJ2A
    Posted: 15 June 2011 at 8:08pm
OK, You've maybe seen it in The Willys Special Equipment Book and said, "There's NO WAY they ever sold one of those for a Jeep."  Well I'm here to tell you they made at least 163 of them.  I've been chasin' this thing for two years and finally captured it on the way home to Maine from The Great Willys Picnic.  The Data Tag is very readable and the S/N is 163.  Who knows if they started at 1 or some companies started like 100.  This Willys Special Equipment implement was owned by a great old car enthusiast in upstate NY, and used as a snow plow.  For many years the iron parts have been scattered around his junk yard and the hydraulic items stored in old car bodies for protection.  He finally convinced his son to help him get it out of the trees growing through and made a pile for me to load. Probably he is the only man on the planet who knew what to look for.  At this stage of my late years, I have no intention of restoring this unit, but at least the old gentleman cared about Willys History.  He knew it was just JUNK to anyone not interested after he passes.  We had discussed it's roots at my Willys display at The Stowe, VT. Car Show.  Neither of us have ever seen another.  I provided him with copies of the two pages from Willys.  The pile I loaded looks mostly complete.  My intention is strictly historical.  Arrange the pieces, drive a Jeep up, bolt it together somewhat, and take pictures to share and document.  It joins a bunch of other Willys Special Equipment in my world.  Hopefully all the Willys History here in Central Maine can find it's way to younger hands.  This MAHL (Which stands for the first initials of the four wives of the brothers who founded Standard Iron & Wire Works in Minneapolis) Jeep Loader may very well be the only one left to look at.  I'll try to attach some  Factory Pix sent to me by the retired President of Standard Iron who worked in the shop with their engineers during his high school days. Email me if the pictures don't come through. 
glenns@tdstelme.net   Nope, Pix Didn't make it.  Sorry
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 9:11pm
Glenn if you want to email them to me I will put them in teh same album as the Surrey pics.. BTW did it sell?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 11:01pm
Here's one of the pics, the rest are in the album connected to it...just click on the pic.,

Edited by F Bill - 16 June 2011 at 12:47am

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 11:08pm
Very Cool!Big smile
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 12:43am
Thanks, F Bill,  I had a very hard time to see all the pix, but I guess anyone who is interested can figure a way through the maze.  The Surrey pix confuse the issue.  Glenn
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 12:46am
Just go to page two of the album..

there are three more that I didn't post here..

Edited by F Bill - 16 June 2011 at 12:49am

Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 1:07am
From the pix, I'd say I have enough to mock up for a photo session.  The main parts are the bucket, which is nearly perfect, (how you going to hurt it with a CJ2A??), the front trip assembly, the bumper mount for the hydraulic ram, the ram and cable, the loader arms need a little help from snowplowing days, the rear draw bar assembly, the large pump hitches directly to the Willys PTO gear box and goes to the handle control assembly between the Jeep seats.  Evidence of equipment yellow paint is all around so it can be made to look nice.  Willys History at its finest.  Glenn

Edited by Glennstin - 16 June 2011 at 1:18am
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 6:37pm
Hi,  I now have seven pix in an email format that I can send to anyone who is interested, showing this Authorized Willys Special Equipment attachment arranged around my Willys with a description of most parts.  I still don't have a clue how to post them here.  Just email me directly at  glenns@tdstelme.net 

Edited by Glennstin - 13 July 2011 at 6:50pm
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 7:27pm
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/mahl-loader-for-cj-jeepglennstins-new-one_topic20008.html
Here ya go..

I moved thebrochure pics to the same album too.

Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 8:19pm
Wow!  Just noticed the new CJ2A shown in the Factory Picture rear view with MAHL Loader in up position is a "Lefty"  as discussed on this Forum in another place.  The first picture, front view, is dated 12/1947 and is a different Jeep..  Carefully looking at this new Jeep shows the MAHL Loader early in its development, with no Dolly Wheels and push arms made from channel iron rather than pipe as on my MAHL Loader S/N # 163.  The "Lefty" Jeep would be probably delivered to Standard Iron during the 1948 time when these strange Jeeps were produced. 
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2011 at 11:39pm
Update:  The MAHL Willys Jeep Loader was sold back to it's 1947-48 original builder, Standard Iron and Wire Works in MN, a huge cooperation today grown from humble roots when this was built. They received it yesterday, 8-17-2011.  The President of the company, a Grandson of one of the founders, is overseeing the restoration himself and intends to display it at Headquarters with other historical products that provided growth to the company.  They are seeking a suitable CJ2A to display this piece of Willys History with and do not wish to restore a Jeep.  If a CJ2A Page Member wishes to submit an example for consideration, email me at:  glenns@tdstelme.net   Look at the factory pix above to see if what you have falls into that category.  Stay tuned as the President has promised to keep us informed as this develops.  As far as is known now, this is the only existing example of The MAHL Willys Jeep Loader.  He has also indicated an interest in displaying at Willys and Specialty Equipment Events especially in the Mid west.

Edited by Glennstin - 18 Aug. 2011 at 11:59pm
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2011 at 1:51am
Thats cool stuff Glenn,
Hopefully the new owner will be CJ2A forum members and post some of their resto pix.

Tom 
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2011 at 2:50pm
UPDATE:  The President of Standard Iron and Wire Works informs me they have purchased a nice 1948 CJ2A from Iowa and currently are redoing it to their specs for the MAHL Willys Jeep Loader Display.  The loader itself is undergoing a thorough restoration in their shop.  I'll forward this to them and urge involvement with The CJ2A Page enthusiasts.  Glenn
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2011 at 5:27pm
Thanks for the update, Glenn.  Hopefully we'll get to see pictures of it when it's all assembled on the Jeep. 
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 4:35am
Wasn't one of those found on a 1945 CJ-2A in the Boston area just a few years ago? I believe it was posted on this site.
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2011 at 3:55pm
Jerry,

I think that the loader on that 2A was more homemade than anything.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/s-n-10371-barn-find_topic2517_page1.html

Brandon

1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2011 at 5:52pm
The Jeep for this loader was purchased in Iowa?... Could it be a lefty?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2012 at 10:56pm
 Howabout this
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=jeep+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djeep%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&imgurl=c7ba2ab24895b7d9
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>