Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MAHL Jeep Loader for CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2012 at 11:50pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2012 at 11:59pm
Thanks Gale

Edited by uncle steve - 03 Jan. 2012 at 12:01am
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
tazjeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2012 at 12:24am
I WANT ONE...
52 m38
90 Grand Waggy
82 j10
80 j10
76 j10
92xj monster on 37's
75 2dr Cherokee
50's cj5 pick up on waggy frame. code name little purple muder.
99 JK better halfs toy
20 parts jeeps
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2012 at 9:02pm
2012 Update:  I recently sent the Great Willys Picnic information to the President of Standard Iron and Wire Works in MN inviting them to bring The MAHL Willys Jeep Loader to this year's event.  His reply is below:
Glenn.
There is no way we will have done by next summer, work is just too busy to allocate any resources to the rebuild of the MAHL

We'll just have to wait.  Isn't it wonderful to hear an American business is doing well?  Stay Tuned.  Glenn
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2012 at 4:58pm
UPDATE late 2012:   Just received this note and pix from the Pres. of Standard Iron and Wire in Minneapolis:

Well if it goes in our lobby we will need to put the loader to use since we only have a 3' door!!!! The loader should be full operational next week the we can disassemble and start restoration of Willy's.

Thanks Rich

On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:50 PM, "Glenn & Toni" <glenns@tdstelme.net> wrote:

> Hi Rich and Rusty, OMG!!!! This is a dream come true. A piece of Willys History comes to life. You must be so proud. Your own product from the 40's is taking shape to be a member of your heritage. Congratulations!!! All of Willys World awaits your presentation of this Authorized Willys Accessory to our ranks as you choose. I'm waiting for pictures in your Reception Area of Standard Iron and Wire Works as you show the world what made your company what it is today. We are a product of our past and items like this show the path taken to accomplish those goals. I urge you to attend Willys shows to promote this accomplishment. This is probably the only one extant. We wait with baited breath. Thanks for sharing. Glenn Byron, Smithfield, Maine

I can't do pictures on here.
>
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2012 at 11:14pm
Glenn I will work on those pictures tonight.. No more WEbshots, so I gotta put them on Photobucket...I am a lill slower at that.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2012 at 12:28pm
Finally got a chance to upload the pics Glenn sent me.. Lets see if these work.

Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2012 at 3:23pm
Thanks to F Bill for getting these pix up for us to see.  I'll try to make a few comments to explain what is happening.  If you have studied the previous posts and F Bill pix, you know that what is pictured is a big advancement from what came from an Albany, NY junkyard. Pix # 1 with the front view of probably the only MAHL Jeep Loader on the planet.  The bucket was the easy part, only requiring sandblasting, as it was this straight and solid. Those loader arms are brand new as the originals were junk, but there for patterns. Pix # 2 takes you right into the business of how this thing works.  These rams, the long and short, work together balancing the bucket weight to protect the little Jeep. Below the little ram will be two small steering tires.  All that round stock is new as original. Pix # 3 , The rear view shows the mount as designed.  Better not ram anything solid!!  The huge pump will mount on the PTO gearbox.  You guys at Standard Iron and Wire Works are doing a fantastic job with a piece of your company's history.  All of Willys World thanks you for a peek inside your shop. What we are seeing is just about what Rusty, the retired President, was working on in his high school days of 1948.  Gosh, isn't Willys History fun??
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2012 at 4:46pm
Hi Glenn,
That is a great piece of WILLYS History for sure. I only wish you stopped by on the way home when you picked this up right in my back yard just south of me. I would have loved to see it in the rough before the restoration began. Be sure to stop by next time, any time day or night.
Thanks to Bill for posting the photos too!

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2012 at 9:05pm
Glenn, which Albany, NY junkyard was that in? Not too many left except the scrapyards in the port..
BTW with webshots moving I may have to repost all your previous pis that are hosted there..

Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2012 at 3:34pm
This came from a long time used car dealer on the north side of Albany in the town of Mechanicville, Route 4, right beside the Northway, I-87.  He kept some relics in the back out of sight like many of us car dealers did.  The framework of this loader was mounted on an old Jeep with a homemade snowplow on the loader arms.  He said he never used the bucket or the little wheels.  When he retired the unit, he disassembled it all.  The iron parts were scattered around the junkyard area, some with trees and bushes growing up through, others with a discarded hood covering.  All the hydraulic stuff was dry, inside a '53 Mercury 2 dr hardtop, which probably hadn't moved since the 60's -70's.  If we hadn't caught up with this stuff while he was able to identify the parts, there is not likely anyone left who could have put the pile together for me to load. It would have been scrapped to China. I hope Jack can see the finished product.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2012 at 11:56pm
I was thinking maybe Meisner's....but I also remember one in the location you mention.. Can't rememeber the name tho. There was also a great yard near the Albany airport that got sold when the airport expanded (Morris auto parts??)....as well as a fantastic yard under the power lines in East Greenbush(ILaRoccos) that still exists but at a hugely smaller level. Those were the days, when you could stumble over hemi parts on your way to see a Morris Minor..or a Rambler.

Steve sent me pics of a similar loader that is NOT a MAHL (maybe) He saw at an auction near him in Iowa, several years back... I will post them in a different thread soon.(unless you want them here)

Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2016 at 6:54pm
Just a TEASER here for now.  I just received one picture of the MAHL JEEP LOADER as it is today.  Looks almost ready to go out to play. The Standard Iron crew has brought a NY Junkyard Escapee back to life. Stay tuned for more details.  I'll send the pix to F Bill as I haven't a clue how to post it.
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2016 at 7:15pm
I think FBill has dropped off the Willys scene but if you want to send the pics to me I'll be happy to post them for you. I believe you have my e-mail address.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2016 at 7:53pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2016 at 9:31pm
Here it is!

'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2016 at 12:05am
That's a whole lot of loader for a wee Willys. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2016 at 12:45am
I'm diggin on the saved piece of history angle... kudos to those that saw this through Big smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>