Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mainfolds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mainfolds
    Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 1:32am
I have mated the intake and exhaust manifold and as I was getting to install them to the block I noticed the ends that bolt to the block are not on the same plane. There is as much as a 1/16 inch difference. I prefer not to try and have a machine shop plane them due to $$$$$$. any ideas?
Thanks,
Thad
Life is short. Buy a jeep
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 1:43am
Loosen the bolts between the manifolds, bolt them to the block and then tighten the bolts between them...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 12:00pm
I did not know there was any play in the four bolts that hold the two manifolds together. I will try it. someone locally told me to double up the manifold gaskets. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks, Thad
Rick Pacholski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Pacholski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 12:05pm
Correctly aligned manifolds need only one gasket. Mis-aligned manifolds will lead to leaks with or without extra gaskets and most likely cause you to spend more money than you would have at the machinist.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 12:29pm
There is some inherent play in the bolt holes, they are a clearance fit not a tolerance fit.  Frankly, you could clearance the holes even a little more (quite a bit actually, but within reason) if required to get two pieces to be a pair.

Did you remove and separate them, or source them individually and are trying to make a set?

...and Rick is obviously right, multiple gaskets is never a good idea, is an indication of an underlying issue, and is brought to you by the same folks that think RTV is a filler
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Pacholski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 12:34pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 1:31pm
Is this a new manufacture Chi-Com replacement exhaust manifold ?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 2:22pm
I have resurfaced an exhaust manifold from a F head using a large belt sander up at work then, checked it on one of the big machinist surface stone. If you just bolt it up it will preload the iron and cause it to crack very soon. 

Edited by jeeper50 - 10 Feb. 2018 at 2:25pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 2:34pm
I had the same problem with the Omix-ADA exhaust manifold when I mated it to the original intake manifold. The mating surfaces where it bolts to the block were off 1/8"! I solved the problem by milling off the excess material on my mill. The manufacturers of the exhaust manifold should have come closer to OEM specs on this part, but didn't even try. An 1/8" is not even in the ballpark.

This is a reason that I try to avoid purchasing Omix-ADA parts. This is not the only instance where I have had to rework the crap that they supply. I guess I'm supposed to feel grateful that someone even attempts to supply an exhaust manifold that is even close to original, but it would be just as easy for the manufacturer to GET IT RIGHT as it would be to turn out something that doesn't even come close to fitting.   

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 11 Feb. 2018 at 1:21am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 2:52pm
Cast iron is soft ,I redid one with a long  standing board. If you have a good flat bench you can put sticky sandpaper on it and move the part back and forth on it. It's not fast but either way will give good results and it's cheap.
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 10:48pm
I loosened the 4 bolts between the 2 manifolds and as suggested there was enough play that I was able to install them to the motor, seemingly with no gaps between the manifold gasket and block. Hard for me to tell if there is too much torque but it seems fine so far. I guess time will tell!!!
Thanks to everyone for the input.
Thad
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 11:15pm
Only you can determine whether the bolts offer enough gap to adjust the faces without stressing the cast... keep in mind one of the dynamics with manifold sets is repetitive heating and cooling cycles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Pacholski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 1:07am
What did you torque them to?
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2018 at 9:31pm
Not exactly an answer to the posted question, but along the same lines.....I happened to be working on my manifolds when this came up, so here are a few pics for us visual learners Geek

I had to helicoil a buggered up hole on the intake so i needed to check alignment after install. I tightened the mount bolts and they were off a bit (didn't measure but i could see light between the block and exhaust manifold ends) so like mbullism mentioned, i clearanced the exhaust holes with a dremel for wiggle room. Aligned the mount faces on the block, tightened the mount bolts and it was a lot closer,  .007 is pretty dang close and should be taken up by the gasket. 

CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 12:31am
I think it is suppose to be around 30 #. I had trouble to get this high. It almost acted like the studs were turning and I decided to stop and see how it works out once I get her running.
Ted
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2018 at 2:25am
Not the best solution but you can bolt them together and take them to a speed shop and they can sand them into plane for about $20.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply