Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make Your Own Canvas Top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 7:16pm
Clap Thumbs Up Clap  Way to go Jeff!!  Clap Thumbs Up Clap

That looks great!!  My sister just made a summer top for my Blue Mule, so I'm going to print out a set of your plans and have her make a top for Kate's Karriage.   Did you get your CS fasteners from a fabric store chain?  All you said was "locally".   And what did you "knock out" the gromment holes with?    Details!!  We need Details!!

Thanks for sharing all of this with us!!!

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 7:21pm
Mike,

You must have been posting when I was.
Look at the last post on page 1.

If anyone has questions please ask!  I'd like the person who reads this to know all the details of making a top.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Russ is right.  I should be working on a CJ5 top.  I don't think you can buy those.
In the back of my mind I think that I would like to make a CJ1/CJ2 top.  Alot of this data can be transfered to that.  Yes, I obviously don't need one but I think the research would be fun.

Think CJ-3A Big smileBig smileBig smile
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 8:03pm
You can buy a 3A top can't you?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 8:28pm
Jeff, Yes I had my concerns about the time factor in getting a NL top, but when I talked to Mona last month (once I got through to her, took about 10 attempts) they seem to be up to speed, she said my top should be finished around mid March, so a 2 month turn around. Not that bad (if it indeed happens, that's still in the back of my mind) I got the door frames from walcks, seem to be nicely made (he says they're made in the US for them). I did clean some of the welds up so it wouldn't rub through the canvas and had them powdercoated. I'm hoping to have all the top stuff before summer, I'm trying to plan some road trips and want to have a top along with me. (rain is never far away here in WA). So the only pieces to the puzzle left are the door surround rods, and I expect them to be available shortly. (hope, hope). Thanks again for all your efforts, it's fun to watch the process.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 8:33pm
Door surround rods?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

You can buy a 3A top can't you?

Yes, I am just partial to CJ-3As. Smile
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 8:46pm
You know, the ones you covered on page???. Maybe I used the wrong name. The one that goes from the forward bow to the windshield and the one at the back of the door that hooks into the aforementioned rod. I'm waiting for Tobbows Inc to announce that they're ready. (realizing Mike has other things on his mind at the moment).
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 8:50pm
Duh!(brain fart)

Maybe Low will read this and give us an update.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 9:13pm
Jeff:

Here's a few quick links w/binding attachments:
There are hundreds of different kinds of attachments for sewing.  Try a search for "edge binding attachments" and you'll see what I mean.

Many that are specific to certain makes & models of machine too, which generally work better than generic "one-size-fits-all" ones.  I've got a couple I can dig out if you want better photos.

Sean

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 9:27pm
Hmmm.  I may have to do this thing over.  That looks pretty good.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2009 at 7:57pm
One cushman full top in black, please. You can make it one piece.. Wink.Of course it can wait until the windshield is done.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2009 at 7:00am
Rear roof:

With this one, I cheated a bit.  I used full sized copies of the drawings as patterns.  If youns' decide to make a top, I can mail you some full sized drawings (if you can't print them yourself).

I used a full-sized drawing to place the three pieces.  Pinned the seam area and then sewed them together.

Next, sew on the reinforcement panels:

Making the top roof was pretty straight forward, just follow the print.  The roof is 64" wide but there are folds at the front of the roof to make it 63" wide where it fastens to the front roof (see print).  The print also shows the length of the roof at 32-1/2" long.  I designed the roof to be loose fitting but not baggy.  If you want the baggy look, you should make the roof piece 33" long.

So then I sewed the roof to the rear panel, sewed the binding on and put in the fasteners.
Lastly, I sewed on the straps:

I actually purchased these straps from Beachwood.  They are a set of storage straps for the top.  They were too long so I had to cut them down and sew them correctly.  I had to sew them by hand since my machine is not big enough.  I chose Beachwood straps since they have the correct tongue.  The buckles say "China" but then they all do.

Next, fit the top to the General:

Like the front roof, I did not yet install the fasteners for the rear flap or the side curtains.  I will wait till I have made those pieces before I add those fasteners.

Here are the drawings:

If you follow these patterns your rear roof will look like the one in the above pictures.
If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take some more pictures in the daylight.

Next ......... Rear flap.

Edited by jpet - 25 May 2009 at 3:46pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Roger B View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2009 at 7:27am
Jeff,

Very, Very Nice work!! I almost concider a trade for my original topSmile.

Roger
1946 CJ2A Serial # 22728 Harvest Tan in parts

1947 CJ2A Serial #101548 Luzon Red Only 16000 km

1947? Bantam T3-C Serial # 20006
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 1:55am

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rear flap:

To make the rear window (light), I laid the window frame on a piece of .040 .030 polycarbonate, traced around the frame, and cut the window 1/8" in from the trace line.  Then I taped the poly to the window frame and used the frame as a jig to drill the holes in the window:

Then you just sew it the rear flap up according to the print:

Cut out the hole for the window, sew on the straps ,knock out the grommets and whala:

Actually I cheated.  These straps are not sewn on yet.  I didn't have enough so a couple of them are actually windshield straps but they look good for the picture!

Next ..... install the rear flap on Genl' Willys:

Here's my fancy new window frames:

I didn't install the rivets yet because this is still R&D and I may want to remove the window later.

I'm pretty happy with this because these are the three main parts that I was wanting.  I will probably sport this duster top most of the time anyway.TongueTongueTongue muy feliz!

I don't have a dog!Cry

Next .......... front side curtains.

Edited by jpet - 02 Mar. 2009 at 11:09am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:09am
You are making it look easy which it is not! Clap

Are the large wrinkles in the rear flap because the rivets are not in place or are there adjustments that need to be made somewhere?  Straps, perhaps?

Edited by samcj2a - 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:10am
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:17am

Originally posted by samcj2a (from Canvas Data Yak Yak) samcj2a (from Canvas Data Yak Yak) wrote:

It's amazing how my tastes have changed.  As roc said, these tops were loose fitting and baggy so, in the past, I didn't like them either.  I sure want one now though! LOL

What gives Sam?  LOL (just messin' with ya.  I want the comments)  Actually, there are no straps on this flap and I suppose it will shrink some.  Also the fabric is 10oz but a normal top would be made of 18oz which I suppose  will be stronger.  Maybe I could move the top fasteners up a little higher.  The window causes it to sag.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:21am
wheres the dog in your picture! The top looks great! You are getting me motivated to get going on my CJ5 top!

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>