Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make Your Own Canvas Top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252627
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2022 at 7:50am
Hi James,

Sorry for the late response.

I am just duplicating the original design. I don’t think it is critical that the reinforcement pieces be exactly the same size as the originals. From what I’ve seen, the edges where the grommets are installed have a 2” wide reinforcement strip but I don’t think that is critical.

Side curtains. Yes, the front side curtains are double thick in the early style top. I’m not sure why other than the fact that it is so short, is just easier to cover the whole thing.   The late style tops, where that side curtain is sewed to the roof and back of the half cab is not double thick. This is true for CJ5 as well.

I’m not sure if this answers your question but I hope this helps.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2022 at 7:51am
Do you have any pictures or a link to your work to share?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Wirework View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wirework Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2022 at 9:25pm
Please don't apologize for an overnight delay answering a brand new question on a years old post !! :)

And thanks for the invitation to share my attempt to walk the path you cut.

"Make your own soft top (12/2021) Ref MD Juan tub build" 

I'm close to finished with my Harbor Freight tarp prototype and about to start cutting canvas!! 

Wish me luck! 
Navy_Jim
Wirework View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wirework Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 6:26pm
So, here's a few shots of the JPET patterns applied to prototype Harbor Freight tarps. I made the 10 piece design.

I made the following modifications to the JPET patterns:
Thin rope sewed into leading edge of front top for attachment in windshield channel.
Slightly elongated piece just above the entry to match my door opening.
Changed the top curves to match my hand made EMT conduit bows.
Cut clearances for larger diameter conduit door jamb in place of solid 3/8(?) rod.
Added extra bow flaps to attach to my extra supports. Aftermarket roll bar interferes with a standard center (wood) support. I used conduit.

I have a few questions.

Is the bottom of the rear face and it's flap supposed to be at the same level as the side pieces?

Hid did JPET "latch" his frameless doors? I saw a description of how the top and hinges were done, but not the latch.

Thanks. 
Navy_Jim
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 8:42am
Your pattern work looks nice.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Wirework View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wirework Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 12:04pm
Thanks. 

I'm still struggling to get the two front corners to form properly . That kind of detail work can make such a big difference ...but it always eats me alive since I'm not much of an artist. 
Navy_Jim
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2022 at 1:56pm
I am not an expert on the M38A1 soft top but the pictures on-line look like the seam fold for the front top corners do not angle back the way your pattern does.  They look to follow the edge of the front windshield's leading edge. 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Wirework View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wirework Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 8:28pm
I just found a different JPET "CJ2 and CJ2a Canvas" or something like that which featured the roll up curtains and roll up doors. There is a conversation about how the frameless doors are attached. 
Navy_Jim
Wirework View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wirework Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2022 at 7:49am
Yep, I see that now. Will pull my stitch and try again?
Navy_Jim
Wirework View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wirework Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 10:49pm
I thought to share a bit of my progress following your post:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252627