Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make Your Own Canvas Top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:24am
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

wheres the dog in your picture! The top looks great! You are getting me motivated to get going on my CJ5 top!
Maybe you should use a metal top for the CJ5.  Big smile
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:25am
Can someone with talent please take the dog in Chip's picture and photoshop it in mine please?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:26am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by samcj2a (from Canvas Data Yak Yak) samcj2a (from Canvas Data Yak Yak) wrote:

It's amazing how my tastes have changed.  As roc said, these tops were loose fitting and baggy so, in the past, I didn't like them either.  I sure want one now though! LOL

What gives Sam?  LOL (just messin' with ya.  I want the comments)  Actually, there are no straps on this flap and I suppose it will shrink some.  Also the fabric is 10oz but a normal top would be made of 18oz which I suppose  will be stronger.  Maybe I could move the top fasteners up a little higher.  The window causes it to sag.
I see that Bill's flap sags too, from the window.  I think the wrinkles other than those from the window are, in fact, due to not having the straps attached.

Edited by samcj2a - 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:27am
Sam

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:42am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Can someone with talent please take the dog in Chip's picture and photoshop it in mine please?
I don't know about talent, but here's a crude version:

Sam

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:45am
That's nice!Emoticons
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:52am

You are too kind.  I'll come back on the weekend when I have time to do it better.

Sam

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 3:43am
Yeah, I am working on a trip down to get it. Just have to convince my wife!

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 11:31am

Chip Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chip Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 1:28pm
You guys are out of control ... that is way too funny, I just about had the milk I was drinking shoot out my nose when I got to these pictures.  I have to get my Dad on here and look at all of this & tell some stories ..... He's gonna get a good laugh.
Jeff awesome job and attention to detail on all of this work that you've done. I love all of the jig's & fixtures. I'm a machinist/fabricator/trouble shooter by trade, I can definitely relate.  Nice job on all of it.  I haven't been able to contribute anything to the top bows project or the door frames because I don't have any of that stuff on my jeep, so I'm glad the pictures were at least a little help.  One thing I might be able to help with in the future is fabric.  I work as a contractor for an industrial textile producer.  We don't make any canvas duck type material but they do make other types of top material for modern vehicles.  Unfortunately raw product yarn supply is the big hangup currently.  I'd already mentioned this to the production manager at about the time that you'd already located a product.  So I didn't bother pursuing it and muddying the waters.  But it IS possible to get a product like that made.  Believe it or not,  still here in the good ol' US of A.   Chip Austin 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 1:40pm

I moved all the C/S fasteners out 1/4" on the perimeter:

That looks pretty good to me so I have made some edits to these two drawings:

I moved the grommets in 1/8" on the flap and I moved the fasteners out 1/8" on the back panel of the rear roof so that the change is subtle and fasteners still look close to center of the 2" reinforcement plys that they are located in.

Edited by jpet - 20 Feb. 2009 at 5:23pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Chip Austin Chip Austin wrote:

So I didn't bother pursuing it and muddying the waters.  But it IS possible to get a product like that made.  Believe it or not,  still here in the good ol' US of A.   Chip Austin 

Chip,

I can get a satisfactory fabric but it costs too much.  $20 -28 per yard.  I would be willing to buy it in bulk to get a discount if enough members were willing to go in on it with me. (keep in mind I am NOT going into the top manufacturing business but I will help).  So if you could look into that I would be VERY appreciative.  To be honest I am exhausted from looking for fabrics and materials.  What I really would like to have made is the plastic coated twill binding.  see "Canvas Data".  Once again if I have to buy it in bulk, I will if we can get enough guys on board.

Your photo has been MOST helpful.  When I made these three pieces, it was your photo that I was trying to mimick because I know that the canvas is of the period, and it is relatively new and un-shrunk.

Edited by jpet - 20 Feb. 2009 at 2:30pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 10:32pm
Holy f**k!!!! Sorry about the harsh words but what else can I say? You guys are making me really homesick now!

Jeff, my hats off to you,  excellent work I must say.

I wish I was back in the States now as I'd 100% take over for Jeff like Low and the gang did on the bows.

I bought the punch and a good binder for the edge tape which made the Reedkinies much easier to make, I think if your only going to make one top you could do without them but they do make the job a good bit easier.

I haven't been on the page lately as life kinda gets in the way but I do miss my 2apage family, you guys don't know how lucky you are to have such a good group. On a sad note I was back in the States for a week and didn't drive my Jeep, hell it's so packed away I didn't even get to look at itCry

Really really nice job! it just goes to show that the patterns and prep work make ALL the difference. Jeff your sewing skills will get better on the second top, you really did do a good job on the first one!

Sam, don't feel bad about not being able to sew as it is tough and takes skill, Jeff must have been Albert Einstein in another life cause he's a genius!
Maker of the Reedkini
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 10:46pm
Matt,

Bout' time you posted!  I've been waiting!

Wish I would have known you were back.  I wanted some pics of your original canvasShocked
Originally posted by trader_reed trader_reed wrote:

I wish I was back in the States now as I'd 100% take over for Jeff like Low and the gang did on the bows.

Oh that's right...... I forgot that they don't have sewing machines, canvas or thread in IrelandWinkWinkWink

When I'm done, take the patterns and get busy!!  Please put me first in line!Big smileWinkBig smileWink

Anyway .......

Here are some pictures of the rear flap in the daylight since I made my adjustments:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2009 at 11:48pm
Jeff,

That flap looks great now!  
Sam

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2009 at 2:21am
Matt, I'll knock him in the head, steal the top, and trade it to you for a year's supply of Guiness LOL
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2009 at 2:36am
Why do you think I started this stuff.  I've been baiting Matt the whole time!Big smileBig smileBig smile
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2009 at 10:03am
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it Jeff!

LOLLOL
LOL
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2009 at 11:16am

Mmmmm Guinness!!!! How bout I help you knock him out and we share it!

Jeff my wife says I should do it but I don't know.......What would be a fair price for a full top or half top? and how many do you think would sell? Other tops sell for $1000 but that includes canvas on the doors, and I'd have to be back in America for that as shipping would be way to expensive.

What I was thinking is I could fly back for two weeks and make maybe four or five tops but not sure it'd be worth it. I'm tring to work another deal where I'm in the States for 3 weeks and could possibly make them in the evening and on weekends when I'm not working. If this did work out it wouldn't be till late summer early fall so don't get your hopes up.

How long did it take you to make the parts you have now? just time sewing and cutting.

Maker of the Reedkini
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>