Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Coffee
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 10:52am
Some of you know how creative I can be when it comes to making coffee LOL

Here is something new.

A few weeks ago we were at a restaurant and the coffee was really good. My wife asked the waitress what kind of coffee they used and she said they used whatever was cheapest, but they make it strong and put a pinch of cinnamon in with the grounds.

So, the next morning I put a just a little cinnamon in with the grounds for the morning coffee and it was really good, so we have been using that ever since.

Until this morning. Marena (wife) got up early and made the coffee. When I got my first cup I noticed it had a very unusual flavor.  

Marena doesn't have much of a sense of smell, and she didn't turn on the overhead light in the kitchen before opening the cabinet where the spices are stored.

I don't recommend Mexican Chili powder in coffee. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 11:16am
You don't like Mexican Coffee? Be nice to her, next time she might add Ex-lax, LOL

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 11:58am
That’s pretty funny.
Mom had something similar happen when she was a kid. Her and gram were busy making pickles one day and her uncle dropped in for a visit. So she grabbed the gallon jug sitting next to the water distiller and made him some coffee, it wasn’t but a minute later he was spewing coffee. She had grabbed the distilled vinegar instead of water.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 12:28pm
Yikes, I know some people like extra hot coffee, but that seems a little overkill!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 12:34pm
But this still begs the question, what is "just a little cinnamon".....sounds like something to try.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

But this still begs the question, what is "just a little cinnamon".....sounds like something to try.

This^ Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 3:39pm
Start with just a bit more than a pinch and adjust to taste next time.

The vinegar coffee story reminds me of my mother, who never did that, but it is something within the realm of possibility.

When individually wrapped sliced cheese was introduced she often made sandwiches for our lunches without removing the wrappers. She also often neglected to remove the casing on bologna, and once made "cornbread" with wheat flour on accident.

The worst memory I have of my mother's efforts at keeping house had nothing to do with cooking.
She once washed a pair of drapes which, unknown to her, were made of material containing fiberglass. That was done in the sixties to make things like that less flammable. When the drapes came apart in the washing machine mom just thought they must have been rotten. 

The next load of laundry was the underwear of her sons and husband. Just think of bits of fiberglass in your shorts. It was an uncomfortable day at school for us boys, and for my father at work.

She once washed and dried an old tom cat which had went to sleep in the washing machine. She thought the thumping noise in the dryer was from tennis shoes.

Edited by Oldpappy - 19 Jan. 2022 at 3:40pm
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 4:02pm
My wife created a new "Mexican Banana Bread" by accident a while back & it was actually quite good! I do not think she will continue that practice though as I was the only one that liked it.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 4:53pm
We have gotten back into making coffee in a percolator coffee pot on a stove.  We have an old Revere Ware stainless steel percolator coffee pot that make remarkable coffee.  We use the modern Dunkin Donutes medium roast for modern drip machines.  Perk it for about 4 minutes to make 6 cups of excellent coffee.

My good friend who is retired from the restaurant business told me that people today are into convenience so much, - that they drink bad coffee (that they don't want to mess with the cleanup of a percolator or spend the time to make it).  Their kids have grown up on the bad coffee and think that it is the real deal.  

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 5:14pm
  “ they don't want to mess with the cleanup of a percolator ”

Clean a percolator? Of an evening in camp I bang the basket against a tire or a tree to empty it, and if there’s coffee left in the pot I may use it to rinse the basket. NEVER scrub the pot. Everything gets rinsed well and put away between trips. Ask the guys about my camp coffee. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 5:58pm
I described real "camp coffee" the last time the topic came up, but I agree with Bruce. A coffee pot develops a better flavor after long use. Just like a good pipe gets better once a "cake" has formed inside it.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:27pm
Back long ago in my navy days I was stationed on a frigate. There was a huge 10 gallon coffee urn on the mess decks in which they constantly made coffee. Like every 4-6 hours they would make more, just keeping the big tank full. When we were at sea, coffee would be made continually until sunday night, when it would be drained and washed out. Then a new batch was started again. The coffee was great on monday and tuesday. By wednesday it was getting a little worse. By saturday it was downright fierce!

I've been retired from the navy for over 23 years now. I've gotten spoiled in my old age. My son is a coffee roaster at a big Green Mountain/Keurig plant. He keeps me well supplied Big smile

Edited by ndnchf - 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:28pm
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Ask the guys about my camp coffee. 
BW 

Thumbs UpThumbs Up

Edited by muley - 19 Jan. 2022 at 7:52pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 9:24pm
  To get back to the OP, the addition of a “pinch” of something to enhance the coffee;
  The only thing extra in mine might be a trace of lead from the .45 calibre bullet I use to check it for “doneness”. If the bullet floats, it’s done. LOL
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 10:04pm
I tried that method once when the coffee was a little too weak and the bullet ruined my pot. Probably should have stood back further before taking the shot.     

My cousin was a crane operator working on building one of the TVA Nuclear plants back in the 70s. I was there once and we were in their break room. There was a cup of coffee sitting on the counter with a big steel ball bearing floating on the surface.

Turns out the cup was actually filled most of the way with mercury with just a little coffee on top.

Yep, Tennessee boys were still playing with the stuff even into the 70s when word got out about it being so bad for you. 
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 10:59pm
230 gr. .45??  And we made a mercury hammer in 7th grade science class. 1966. Hammered in a nail with it
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply