Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Fuel System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marvel-Schebel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Galt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marvel-Schebel
    Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 9:00am
NOOB here.  Found this forum, and noted a lot of neat threads.  Finally started work on getting my '52 3A back on the road after +25 years sitting un-run (but stored indoors).  Intend to trailer it behind the RV, and do some exploring out west - including over Wolf Creek and Molas passes, and a run up Pike's Peak.  Regardless - higher altitudes, and we live at roughly 800' MSL.  Have a few hundred hours in light aircraft - you know, with a "mixture" control, i.e., lean it out to 50 degrees rich of peak EGT.  I know that Carter WO is just a "basic" controlled-leak, and I'd expect the mixture would be so rich at some elevation that the engine would be pretty much gutless (as well as washing the cylinder walls) so...  I wondered if anyone ever tried using a Marvel-Schebler updraft (or other similar) carb adapted in place of the WO?  I keep thinking that a manual control of the main-jet would be preferable, in that I could lean it out by "feel" and by coolant-temp monitoring...if it's too lean, you can feel it start to miss (don't know if it would over-temp, being water-cooled).  If no one has tried one - and I'm able to cobble one on to the manifold, I'll do another post on it.
AF Vet DS2
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 9:48am
I’ve only once heard of anyone attempting a Marvel Schebler to a Willy’s. That was somewhere down under in Australia and was likely due to accessibility.

IMHO the updraft Marvel Schebler is a great carb.
That said I think it would be a much better candidate for a Hurricane engine than a Go Devil. Much easier to build a proper updraft manifold for the F-head and simultaneously eliminate the  low hood clearance issue. 
Marvel Schebler on a Hurricane might be a Win win. Otherwise I would just stay with a WO or YF on the Go Devil.

Edited by oldtime - 23 Mar. 2022 at 9:51am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

John Galt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Galt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 10:29am
Thanks, Oldtime!  Good point about the F-head / hood.  My approach would have been something along the lines of a U-shaped heavy-wall tubing, with the carb placed forward of the current location, and somewhat outboard - between the fender and the exhaust manifold.  Figure that I'd need throttle cable vs. hard linkage.  I'll keep cogitatin' on it - have plenty of time while waiting on a fellow in NW Arkansas  to go through the engine, and while I re-do brakes and electric, and maybe think about a re-paint (with Line-X inside the tub).
AF Vet DS2
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 11:08am
  John,  I think you’re overthinking a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. 
  I live at 5,000 ft and routinely drive my jeeps to 13,000 with no problems. On the stock Carter WO or YF. Of course power is down because of a shortage of atmospheric pressure as you’re well aware of, and I’d really like to have a “high-altitude” metering rod for either one, but they are not available. We have to make do with what we have, but what we have works very well. Ive not had or heard of anyone having serious over-rich conditions with cylinder-washing. Mostly we have problems actually getting enough fuel TO the carburetor, usually called, sometimes wrongly, “vapor lock”. If we can get fuel to the WO it works fine all the way to 14,000 ft.(Pikes Peak). 
BW 

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
John Galt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Galt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 11:55am
Ya' know, Bruce, I hear that around my house quite a bit - "you're overthinking..."  LOL LOL Now you have me thinking about a "turbo-normalizer."  That'd be a set-and-forget re. the metering rod - sea-level pressure all the way to Pike's Peak!  Imagine - a full "60hp" all the way to 14,010'!
AF Vet DS2
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 1:54pm
Hi John,
Your high altitude adventure sounds like a lot of fun.  

I'm with Bruce on this.  He and I...along with many others...have conquered the altitude with no modifications.  Maybe from 800' to 13,000, a small adjustment to the air fuel mixture may be needed on the Carter WO. 

I live at 5,500' and don't do anything to my WO when traveling over the high mountain passes.

FCT 2018 on Aspen Ridge.  Maybe 10,000 to 11,000'.  Close to 70 Flat Fender Willys Jeeps.  

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 2:12pm
The first year I was on the Fall Color Tour, Mike and Bruce made some adjustments to my timing and tweeked the carburetor so that Ol' Red would run at altitude. The 850 foot above sea level adjustment that Ol' Red had was just not cutting it. With the adjustments they made, Ol' Red has performed very well up to 12,000 feet. I didn't change anything when I went back to Kansas and have not noticed any problems. Each year I went back I got the same great performance. Whatever they did with the timing and carb has worked well year round. The timing was adjusted using a vacuum gauge.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 23 Mar. 2022 at 2:13pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

John Galt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Galt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 8:09pm
All y'all, (that's plural for y'all, here in the south)

Thanks for all of the input!  (And my wife thanks you for your confirmation of my "over-thinking")  Yeah, I'm probably just out in left-field again - remembering the Hot Rod magazines, and Smokey Yunick columns in Popular Science from years ago, when "high-tech" was Smokey's "adiabatic engine" in a VW Rabbit, coupled with never having actually "lived" at anything over a few hundred feet in elevation.  I'll just get my 3A on the road, and enjoy the wind in my face again.

Athawk11 - holy-moly!  I sure wish I could have been at that meet-up in Aspen!!!  I have to start looking for the "social" aspects amongst the flat-fender crowd - there might be some local folks too.  Re. "Colorado"...  Another one of those "bucket-list" things...  Back in the 70's, there was a fellow named Bill Fries, AKA "CW McCall"...did a song called, "Black Bear Road" (in southwest CO) - "Black Bear Road - you don't have to be crazy to drive this road, but it helps."  Yeah....that'd be a great "Convoy" location too, and I definitely want to make that trip (and get a ride on the "Silverton Train").  https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/cwmccall/blackbearroad.html ;   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzWyZ-jM9Is

BTW, any of you ever see the "Alaska or Rust" postings?  http://www.alaskaorrust.com/

Again, thanks for the input!  Gonna' enjoy reading content on this forum...

AF Vet DS2
John Galt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Galt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 8:22pm
SE Kansas,
Thanks for the words.  Will try to figure out the vacuum vs. timing thing when i get my engine back in (sending off to the re-builder tomorrow).  Not in my Jeep, but used to use vacuum gauge and manual timing advance to get the best performance/mileage out of my Chevy straight-6 Nova, back in the day.  I can appreciate Mike and Bruce using that technique to tune the old Go-Devil too.  I'll be visiting this form a lot in the coming months - gotta' get my head back in the "old-tech" basics thinking again.
AF Vet DS2
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 10:05am
Here's a few of those "you drive em Army Jeep cars" on Black Bear. 
None of them ended balled up at the bottom like the one in the song.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
John Galt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Galt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 8:58pm
Wow, Thanks!  Wife and I watched it all - and then found a bunch of other ones on-line.  Looks like a LOT of fun, in spite of the other vids of the roll-overs.  Had some "Jerry Clower"-like exclamations from the wife, who admitted that she would NOT be going with me on this junket.  I have to admit there was one place - about two minutes in - that gave me pause...the part where the fellow had 3 - or maybe only 2 wheels on the ground, going uphill on the rocks.  Think I'd like to have a winch for that part... 
AF Vet DS2
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by John Galt John Galt wrote:

I have to admit there was one place - about two minutes in - that gave me pause...the part where the fellow had 3 - or maybe only 2 wheels on the ground, going uphill on the rocks.  Think I'd like to have a winch for that part... 

That's a fund spot. It's optional though. The main trail actually goes around to the left. You can't judge how your rig would do there by watching Rick in his blue 48. He has some extra stiff springs and those tires are not very spongy. He always puts on a good show wherever we go. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
John Galt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Galt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2022 at 7:28pm
Thanks, Stan.  Your explanation about the "main trail goes around to the left" will keep me in my comfort zone (in all things), i.e., "I might die havin' fun, but I ain't gonna' die stupid."  Plus, dad made it plain, before I started driving, that 4WD was for "getting out," not getting in.  Really looking forward to crossing Black Bear off my list.

CJ3 in work.  Engine gone to re-builder on Thursday.  Got the tub stripped of everything except three footman-loops - gotta' find a puller to get the steering wheel off and column out.  The enamel paint from about 1992 hadn't fared too well, but the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer seemingly did great - even under the leaky gas tank (where the enamel was pretty much orange-peeled).  Plenty of sandblasting to do - and more Rustoleum.  Thinking Line-Ex inside the tub, and underneath (if wife and I can come to terms on color).  Hope I can get everything ready for when the engine comes back.
AF Vet DS2
 Post Reply Post Reply