Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Massachusetts Registration Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Massachusetts Registration Question
    Posted: 21 June 2021 at 12:22pm
Hi all,

I have a lead on a '45 Bantam in New York state. It's rough, but complete and relatively close to me, so I'm considering it.

The hitch is (no pun intended) that it was sold as a '46 originally and was registered in NY as a '46, even though its 552 serial number puts it in '45. (I need to clarify if it has a title or not.) 

Ideally, I want a '45 trailer to go with my '45 CJ2A so that I can use YOM plates on both. I looked up the regs for registering a utility trailer in MA and it appears titles are optional for trailers under 3,000 pounds GVW. It also appears I could go to the RMV with a bill of sale listing all the basics (Price, VIN, year of manufacture, etc.) to get it registered and titled in my name in MA.

My question for anyone with experience registering one of these vintage Bantam trailers in MA: Were you able to get your trailer registered with just a bill of sale and were there any issues with the RMV accepting the year of manufacture stated on that document?

Thanks,

John

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 1:16pm
Hey, John... if there is one thing that can be said for the good public servants at the MRMV it's that they like it to be easy.  Most wouldn't know a bantam from a fruehauf, but so long as the numbers "match" they don't have to think.  Register it to the NY registration's "46"...you can do that with a previous reg (in the sellers name, mind you) and a BOS.  Get it plated in MA in your name (no title required), THEN go back to the registry with documentation that the SN is a '45... posts from a forum won't likely cut it, but documentation in something published (preferably from bantam).  Maybe even wait until first renewal to have that fight, but if you "win" they'll be happy enough to take your money to title it.

It's been my experience you don't want to try to get it in your name initially with a story about how the numbers are wrong, or the BOS says green and the previous reg says red...It's too much for them. baby steps, imo.  Get it in your name, then documentation and explain a lot of leftovers were retitled to the following model year by dealers back in the day...

You can always reg it homemade, no title and drive around with it, but I'm not sure that gets you in the YOM club

(my bantam is pretty clearly a 47 based on SN, but it came to me with 40 years of paper saying it was a '46, and I registered and titled it as a '46 to not scare the servants.)  ymmv

Mike

Edited by mbullism - 21 June 2021 at 1:22pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 1:34pm
Good feedback and somewhat along the lines I was thinking of as an alternative plan. I might skip the YOM part, get it registered with a regular plate, and then at a late date present documentation to try to use the '45 trailer plate that I have.

Post Reply Post Reply