Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maybe not such a bad idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maybe not such a bad idea
    Posted: 08 Mar. 2022 at 4:53pm
About two years ago I had the urge to find a Honda CT 70 to replace the one I sold (gave away!) in 1988.  I was surprised...make that shockedShocked....at the prices the little 70s were bringing.  I expanded my search to included ST 70s and Trail 90s. I located a really decent Trail 90 in Ponca City, OK while visiting my son and family. My wife had been a bit skeptical about my becoming a motorcyclist at my advanced age but seemed to be OK with it as long as I promised to wear a helmet and not try to join our local motorcycle gang.

Two days ago she remarked....."you know, with the price of gas going up...maybe you should consider putting a grocery basket on your little Hog".  I'm holding out for a sidecar. 

Haven't had a chance to try out the 4 speed low range on the dual option transmission yet.

$4.00 or more a gallon! Maybe not a bad purchase after allEvil Smile

Edited by Moonrunner - 08 Mar. 2022 at 4:55pm
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2022 at 6:40pm
Yeah, but you can buy a lot of gas with what hospital stays cost nowadays....

Just sold my DRZ400S a few months ago.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2022 at 6:51pm
Probably your biggest problem is having someone's front bumper right on your tail light.  I had a CT90 with the dual range tranny.  Kind of reminds me of my CJ2A!

Slow but Good.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2022 at 6:59pm
Quit your bitchin' Big smile

We'll be $6 a gallon here come sun-up.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2022 at 7:10pm
You are all correct...but...being retired, I can head out on my little hog while everyone is at work and be off the road before the time whistle blows. The tailgating is indeed a bit unnerving!  I was fortunate to locate a station today that still had fuel at $3.59 per gallon.  Sometimes it pays to live out here in fly-over country.......at least until we need something from the 'big city'. 

*Not to mention that finding an actual hill around here to use the 4 low option is a challenge

Edited by Moonrunner - 08 Mar. 2022 at 7:18pm
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2022 at 8:52pm
Bigger wheels/tires on the 90. Easier handling than the 70
Mike in AZ
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 1:11pm
How about a picture of your new hog? A few years back I restored a 65 TC90 . Here is i picture of it.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Yeah, but you can buy a lot of gas with what hospital stays cost nowadays....

Just sold my DRZ400S a few months ago.
The last time I tried saving gas riding a motorcycle I was almost hit twice in the same morning! Sold that bike right after. 

Mike’s step-through is very nice, looks like a new one. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 5:38pm
That is a really nice looking bike. I had read about the dual sprocket set up on the early CTs but your photo shows it well. It does seem that having to stop and either shorten or lengthen a chain could be a bit of a hassle.

Since I have yet to locate a worthy hill out here in the middle (OK, more western than middle) of Kansas, I have only tried low range once and it seemed to work well. I bought a Harbor Freight (yes, I know...) motorcycle carrier when I brought TNYHG home from Ponca City and it worked WELL..but piglet only weighs 185 lb.  I guess if the price of gas ever drops again I can strap TNYHG on the bumper and search for challenging terrain in a nearby state. 

I talked with a couple of our local HD riders at the bar and was informed that I was not welcome at any of their events and no, they wouldn't buy a fellow biker a beer. I was told to take my toy and go elsewhere.  I can only assume they are just jealous of my gas mileage and that my yearly registration fee is a mere $11.00.
 Post Reply Post Reply