Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MB adventure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2017 at 7:07am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Very cool  we have even done porcupine trail.

A few of us have discussed doing this.  We would start in Moab and end up at Mike's to start the FCT.  We just have to figure out how to get the trucks and trailers back.  I'd really like to do this, maybe in 2019 instead of the Rubicon.

Good god, count me in!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Cj3bmutt Cj3bmutt wrote:

Crestted Butte not create butte. 

Crested Butte, ... not Crestted Butte

Anywho, since this topic came back up from another thread, I thought I would dream and expand a little:

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=a8fa3f53-8086-4dde-9613-7ff24fc184e2&cp=38.599112~-107.577537&lvl=9&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

This is a loop that starts at St. Elmo
Tincup Pass
Taylor Pass
Pearl Pass
Schofield Pass

.... then from marble we would have to take the highway, (4 hours), to Ouray and then back to St Elmo

Engineer Pass to Lake City. Then a few hours of highway to Pitkin. From there we take Hancock Pass back to St Elmo.

There may be some trails between Lake City and Pitkin. If anyone knows of any, I'm all ears and thanks for the help.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Rock Cred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Cred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 9:26pm
This sounds like a fun trip, I would consider pulling a trailer with my jeep, It is behind my jeep most of the time anyway. Maybe even turn it into a micro camper for the trip.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Was there any indication of what year that trip was made?  I missed it when I watched the vid.  Somebody should have researched the weather schedule better.  You need to do that to miss the snow at some of the passes.  August is usually best for that.

About 11 minutes into the video, on day 4 they talk about amazing wildflowers on Grand Mesa.  I Googled best time for wildflowers on Grand Mesa and got May - June.  So yeah, they were 1-3 months early for best chance at open passes (and I'd guess they were in June rather than May or they'd likely have had more trouble with snow).
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:06am
Back in '98, I tried to go over Mosquito Pass from the east side in early-ish July and got stopped by snow.  Two weeks later, the snow was gone. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 11:45am
What’s the likelihood that Pearl and Schofield Pass are open during the FCT? ..... third week of September.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 3:06am
I don't know for sure, but I think if they're not open, it's because of new snow.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 9:06am
Now that I've been to this area and I am more familiar, I'm mapping out a few more ideas and I'll post them here for future refernce.

This is a day loop lollypop that starts and ends at St Elmo

Tincup Pass to Taylor Park
Taylor Pass to summit. (At the summit you can go left on Express Creek road to Ashcroft or right to Aspen).
Take the right trail to Aspen (get some lunch)
Aspen to Ashcroft Ghost town
Take Express Creek road back to Taylor Pass summit.
Taylor Pass back to Taylor Park.

After this you can go back to St Elmo via Tincup, or Napoleon/Hancock, or Cottonwood Pass to BV
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234