Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MD Juan spring bracket threads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp4davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MD Juan spring bracket threads
    Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 11:43pm
Working on what is now a ground up build.  I have a problem with the leaf spring shackle u-bolt only threading into the upper bracket half way.  I’m afraid if I use a larger wrench to put it in the rest of the way, it might break.  The u-bolt can thread in half way from either side then stops.  If I put it so the “c” is on the outside of the frame it stops half way.  If I out it so the “c” is inside the frame, it stops half way.  

Is this normal to have to use so much force on the bracket side (vs the spring side) to tighten it?  

This is not a LH/RH issue.  I have that under control and I have the same half way issue at all 4 corners.
Thanks 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 10:12am
I have used a brake cylinder hone to polish the inside of the hanger / bracket to gain a little more clearance. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jp4davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp4davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 10:18am
Thanks for the tip.  Will that work with the threads inside the sleeve?  
 Post Reply Post Reply