Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

measuring air pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: measuring air pressure
    Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 1:15am
OK so those who follow my Project thread know I have created a forced fresh air intake.  This intake picks up fresh air from in front of the Radiator and just below the hood and behind the grill.  This area while at speeds above say 20 mph create a high pressure area similar to what is found at the base of a windshield like on a 68-69 Chevelle. Which GM used to feed the Cowl induction intake used on High performance Chevelles.

My ducting is approx. 2 times the flow capacity as the stock air horn on a Carter WO on a 134L

I'm curious with the way I have my air intake and air cleaner system set up if my intake can actually create boost. Now before you shoot me down think about it if you feed air through a funnel at say 40mph will not the air coming out of the small end of the funnel be denser and moving faster then the air entering at the large end? IE BOOST

SO I am thinking about picking up one of these gauges to see if I can actually measure that pressure. Or if there even is any pressure or if the engine still has to suck in its air.

The gauge should tell me if there is even an 1/8 of a pound of boost (granted 1/8 of a pound will do nothing for performance) But I think it would be fun to see if there is some. And if at say 40mph I'm getting a couple pounds that would certainly be a boost to my HP.

And since this is something setting CHUG on a Chassis Dyno will not show unless I some how did it while in a wind tunnel which ain't happening on my budget or anywhere around here.

So now shoot me down save me $28 bucks.

Interesting I just worked through a couple Boost estimators on line. I am assuming with my engine improvements and reduced parasitic drag I am going to have an 80HP engine with 20 HP going to the drive train as shown by dyno tests on other 134L powered CJ-2A's I'll have 60HP at the rear wheels at 4000 rpm.

Anyway just 1lb of boost according to these calculators will result in almost 5 lbs of additional HP.

Be interesting to see how it all comes out.

Edited by Mark W. - 30 Mar. 2019 at 1:25am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 1:29am
Go back to work LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 2:29am
  If you want to mount another permanent gauge so you can watch it all the time, maybe $28 is worth while. On the other hand, if you just want to see what it shows and then disconnect it, why not use your vacuum gauge that you use to test fuel pumps and tune the engine? They show low pressure as well as vacuum.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 5:20am
Mark, simple wind force developed would be at the typical 1/2mv^2 calculation. A google calculator puts it at 44 mph you would have about 5 psf of wind pressure. But there is a lot more to it than the simple calculation. A thorough study would get into fluid dynamics. But simply put 5 psf would be 0.035 psi. If you could run it through a cone and compress it by say a factor of 4 then you would be looking at 0.14 psi. 
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 12:18pm
Make a water manometer.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 2:59pm
Thats interesting Mike. I only know that if I can get the air intake from one that feeds the engine by suction to one that is either equal pressure or a positive pressure it will improve performance.

In the Chevelles with cowl induction you could feel the increase in performance when the little cowl doors opened.

Numerous articles on line about how drawing fresh COLD air from intakes with higher then normal air density (Like the base of the Windshield front of the Grill/Radiator) increases performance.

I'm just curious how much the Fancy Air Intake I have designed and built will do for my overall engine plan.

Might not be able to quantify it out but I'm still curious.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 3:59pm
I would think a Willy’s goes through the air like a brick. A flat topped building would be a good would be a good model for air flow around it. There are wind load calculators online that would serve as a guide for where to expect higher and lower pressure areas to occur.
One would think that right in front of the grill. Pressure would be higher. But then that’s where the radiator is. Any pressure there will will be relieved by escaping through the radiator. Still if you forget to latch the hood down at about 25 it will start to come up. (Don’t ask me how I know). There is not enough pressure yet to overcome gravity but I would think by 30 you’d have trouble seeing around it. 

Edited by Mike F - 30 Mar. 2019 at 4:01pm
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 1:08am
    Mike, if he gets a '46 hood that someone cut a hole in for an F134, he could look through the hole beyond the speed of 30mph :)

The funnel idea or a velocity stack may help compress the air. The stuff we dream of doing to our Willys is amazing. hahaha
 Post Reply Post Reply