Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mech Fuel Pump Spacer 2A vs 3A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mech Fuel Pump Spacer 2A vs 3A
    Posted: 30 July 2012 at 12:47pm
What was the reason 3A's specified the 1/8" spacer between the fuel pump and the block, and the 2A's didn't? Even with the non-vacuum metal or glass bowl type. Was the difference in the pump diaphragm (volume pumped), the cam lobe (I don't think so), or at the carb?

I'm replacing the pump on my 3A (cracked housing), and there was no spacer. None of my parts trucks have spacers either, one being a 2, and one is a 3. And looking into all 3, I don't see/feel any cam lobe wear.

Is there really that much difference between two mechanical pumps output that the volume varies that much to warrant spacers?

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 3:43pm
The spacer is specific to the dual action pump which became standard on CJ3A's. The pump did not provide sufficient clearance due to size so the arm was changed and a spacer added to compensate. If you are installing a single action pump on any of the L-134's the spacer is not used. If you use a spacer with an SA pump it might not pump at all or at best put out too little fuel pressure. Conversely if the spacer is left out of a DA pump it will produce too much fuel pressure with the result that the carb will likely run rich and/or flood and after-boil.

Larry

Edited by rocketeer - 30 July 2012 at 3:48pm
Kendog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:15pm
Thanks Larry. So the dual action pumps are the 'with vacuum' style? My cracked pump and the replacement (Walcks) glass bowl type are w/o vacuum. So no spacer advised on the new (unworn) replacement, correct?
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:50pm
You got it!
 Post Reply Post Reply