Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mechanical Brake light switch upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanical Brake light switch upgrade
    Posted: 03 Mar. 2023 at 4:09pm
I have been wanting to ditch the stock pressure switch for a long time. I know its been covered before but here's my version. I have found that when I do the 4-wheel disc brake conversions my brake lights don't come on with light braking. Not sure if my brakes are just too good...haha or switches just go bad and require more pressure to activate or what... But I've gone through several of them and I'm over it.. haha! The part number is in the pictures.. the rest is self explanatory. Now my brake lights come on as soon as the pedal starts to move. The stock wiring clips right on the probe and needed no modification. I got this from napa for $19 it was in stock. 

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2023 at 4:52pm
Success   

I also switched to Strobe LED brake lights. 

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2023 at 8:10pm
Nice idea, thanks!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 9:29am
I have these on 4 jeeps and will go on the rest of the fleet! Inexpensive ,easy to install and works every time!
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 9:38am
I’m guessing the switches will need to be adjusted for each installation. How is this done? Bend the arm?
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 9:43am
Originally posted by willyt willyt wrote:

I’m guessing the switches will need to be adjusted for each installation. How is this done? Bend the arm?

I hooked mine up to a test light on the bench and marked the switch in the location where the light comes on…. Then you just mount it in a location that the brake pedal arm goes past your mark when your foot is off the pedal. No adjustment needed if you mount it correctly. The arm really can’t be bent in the direction you would need bend it for “adjustment” the master cylinder cover is pretty much the perfect location. 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 04 Mar. 2023 at 9:44am
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 8:45am
On three of my jeeps I just mounted them flush on the MC cover plate. The fourth one (my sons) for some reason the body seemed to be moved back a little bit so I just shimmed it out alittle ,still works fine!
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 11:52am
So checking the brake fluid requires just making sure you have plenty of slack wire on the switch and pulling it through the hole right?  There’s not a good place to put it where you don’t have to pull it through the hole?  I guess it shouldn’t be a problem now that I think about it… with 5 bolts it should be easily repeatable to get it in the same spot.  I just don’t like the idea of a bunch of extra wire down there by the clutch and brake pedal arms.

ETA:
I just re read your first post and you said the stock wires were used, so no extra wire. Is there plenty enough to pull through the hole?

Edited by Scratch - 05 Mar. 2023 at 11:55am
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2023 at 6:42pm
On my jeep the wires were long enough. You can just set the cover to the side to top off the brake fluid. So in my case... it was a non issue. Thumbs Up it wouldnt be hard to pop the wires off if needed. 

Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

So checking the brake fluid requires just making sure you have plenty of slack wire on the switch and pulling it through the hole right?  There’s not a good place to put it where you don’t have to pull it through the hole?  I guess it shouldn’t be a problem now that I think about it… with 5 bolts it should be easily repeatable to get it in the same spot.  I just don’t like the idea of a bunch of extra wire down there by the clutch and brake pedal arms.

ETA:
I just re read your first post and you said the stock wires were used, so no extra wire. Is there plenty enough to pull through the hole?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2023 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

On my jeep the wires were long enough. You can just set the cover to the side to top off the brake fluid. The cover can only go back on in one position.  So in my case...it was a non issue. Thumbs Up If you have wires getting caught in things down there then you did it wrong... 

Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

ETA:

Edited by Millennium falcon - 07 Mar. 2023 at 6:44pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2023 at 7:17pm
  I never remove that cover. I use a long extension, a wobble-joint and a socket to loosen the m/c cap from under the hood, then grit my teeth (I know I’m going to get scratched) and reach down there to remove it. It’s easier to see from above, and easier to fill as well. I use a long plastic funnel that’s dedicated to brake fluid to fill. Then grit my teeth again and put the lid back on. It ain’t that bad. Incidentally, the lid doesn’t need to be death-grip tight. Just snug is good enough. It doesn’t hold against any pressure. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 07 Mar. 2023 at 7:19pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 9:13am
Noticed the cancer warning on the box, so do not consume the product ! Wink

I too have had trouble with the pressure switches on the market nowadays, and have ran out of old ones. 

I think I'll try one of these mechanical switches on one of my Jeeps, maybe swap them into all of them.

I also fill my MC from under the hood. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 10:17am
  I don't think I want to go to California everything causes cancer there, even brake light switches.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2023 at 10:17pm
Thanks for posting!
This is a great upgrade Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2023 at 4:59pm
Hey brother,

Do you have the part # handy for rear strobe led brake lights?  Thanks 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2023 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by DeepVeer DeepVeer wrote:

Hey brother,

Do you have the part # handy for rear strobe led brake lights?  Thanks 

I don’t sorry. I just grabbed them off the shelf at Walmart. $14 a pair. They still work a year later so that’s A good sign. 
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2023 at 7:59pm
K thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply