Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Media Blasting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris insull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Media Blasting
    Posted: 18 Feb. 2021 at 8:34pm
I've heard varying opinions regarding level of disassembly recommended for sand/ media blasting. On the T3-C trailers, is it recommended to completely remove the tub from the frame or just the bolt on parts such as coupler, springs and axles before blasting? My question is driven from the way the tub floor and tub sides are attached... TIA!

1971 CJ-5
1946 T3-C S/N 30319
194? T3-C ACM 154291 (SOLD)
1967 Stevens M-416 (SOLD)
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2021 at 9:36pm
My Bantam trailer is a original civilian in good condition but the PO painted it OD with white stars to be a “military tribute”. 
They aren’t difficult at all to disassemble. Of course that depends on how the PO’s may have bubbaized it.  The tub should only be bolted through the floor and front flange to the frame crossmembers. Fenders bolted to the body.  Rusted bolts may have to be cut or broken to remove. Not impossible. 
Completely disassembling as I did will give you much better access to the underside and components for media blasting. You don’t want grit in spring pivots or between spring leaves. I replaces all spring pivots. 2 adults can lift the body off and onto horses. Then paint and reassemble. 
I recommend to take the time to give your best. DIRTFT, do it right the first time. Avoid do-overs. Tongue
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2021 at 10:57pm
I have a little rule of thumb that I live by: don't sandblast moving parts. Disassemble until you no longer have moving parts; if you still have moving parts you're not done yet! 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 4:23pm

There is a portion of the frame that is welded to the tub.  That part may be a bit much to separate - although it could be done if that's what you wanted.

If, as mentioned, all bolt on parts are removed, you'll have the A-frame rails, spring mount brackets removed so that all nooks/crannies can be accessed under the tub.  To me, that's the most important reason. 

If you choose to remove the support leg plunger prior to blasting, You need to torch/bend it straight (and remove the set screw).  I did 'cause I wanted to see what condition it was in and also wanted to ensure I could blow out all the blast material before lubing it.  I'll need to re-bend the handle when it goes back in. 

Removing the tailgate hinges may also be a bit much but I did remove the tailgate chains to preserve what I had.  Some just paint those along with the trailer itself. 

Be very careful with the bolts up front.  I got impatient and buggered them up removing them.  I had to get new bolts made to replace them (they aren't hardware store bolts).

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply