Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meet Prospector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 10:00pm
Let us know if the vents make a difference. 
The wheels look good Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 10:54pm
A few weeks ago I noticed some lateral play on one side of my rear axle. I knew both sides probably needed new seals as well from the grease on the drum backing plates, so I decided it was time to learn how to pull an axle. Everything came apart fairly easy, and I took lots of pics so I could put it all back together. My first issue was, the PO swapped in a Dana 44 with an offset early model 2.5” housing but with custom 19 spline one piece flanged axles. I took some precise measurements and concluded I needed bearings and seals for a later model D44. Next, I tried to find a shop to press on the new bearings for me. Unfortunately, I live out in the country and it seems all of the local shops only employ someone named Bubba, and they all stated they hammer or pound on the bearings manually. I ended up buying a press from Harbor Freight for $129.99 and did it myself. I figure I’ll probably save myself a few dollars after I do the other side, and this way I know it’s done correctly. No leaks so far. I’m pretty proud of myself. 

caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 4:45pm
The PO had installed a lateral traction bar from the inside on the drivers frame rail to the front differential housing. The other day I noticed that one of the bolts to the differential cover and traction bar bracket was missing and the bracket was also cracked in half and loose. I removed the entire traction bar as i can’t ever remember seeing one on a leaf sprung Jeep. 

Should I try and make a new bracket to reinstall it?  What would be the purpose of it in the first place?

I drove it around a little earlier and couldn’t tell any difference, but then I’m not sure how long the bracket was broken and loose. 

Edited by caelo4 - 03 Dec. 2019 at 4:48pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 5:37pm
  Sounds like a panhard bar. I’ve seen several that Bubba has installed on various leaf-spring vehicles. I don’t know why. The bar and the springs will work against each other, and something has to give. Leave it off. BW
Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 7:46pm
Yeah, a panhard bar, or sometimes called a track bar.  But different from a "traction bar" which is used to minimize / prevent axle wrap under hard acceleration (or heavy throttle with really low trans and t.case gearing).

Generally a panhard bar isn't needed or used with leaf springs.  The bar controls the side-to-side movement of the axle, but leafs already do that.  So as Bruce said, they fight each other.  But Ford used panhard bars and leaf springs on their solid axle 4WD pickups from some time in the late 80s until about 2008 when they went to coils.  I don't know what was different about Fords that it worked out better that way, but people say the trucks are really sloppy without the panhard bars.  Take that for what it's worth...
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
nofender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 8:34pm
Jeep used them from the factory on the leaf spring YJ model. Never could figure out why. But there they were. I removed every one I ever owned and threw it on the scrap pile. As stated the leaf springs are more than enough to hold the axle laterally. I agree with others - toss it! 
46 CJ2A rockcrawler
46 CJ2A resto-mod
51 Bantam-ish trailer
68-ish CJ5
50-ish Sterling trailer
15 Grand (Mrs Nofender)
19 Hemi Ram (parts hauler)
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 10:28pm
Thank y’all very much for the advice. I won’t be trying to reinstall it. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2019 at 11:19pm
The panhard bars on my '89 YJ gave me no end of grief when trying to 'wheel in the mountains (also the front stabilizer bar--that was before you could find disconnects for the end links).  When I lifted the Jeep, those items went into the "maybe-I-can-make-something-with-this" pile.  I still have them, and I may have an idea for the use thereof. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
caelo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caelo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Let us know if the vents make a difference. 
The wheels look good Clap

So far the louvers seem to working. After multiple outings on the trails around my place, the temps seem to be about 15-20 degrees cooler than before, even when running it hard in low gear at slow speeds. I won’t really know for sure until next summer, but I have had it out on a few humid 75+ degree days and the difference is very noticeable.  I can put my hands above the louvers and feel the heat being pushed out of the engine bay.  For now, I’m very pleased. 

Edited by caelo4 - 08 Dec. 2019 at 1:12am
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2019 at 11:22am
Thanks for letting me know about the vents. Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123