Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Member Profile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member Profile
    Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 12:45pm
At my age I have had many opportunities to place foot in mouth. Many times to my chagrin! With that said, I will address an issue that has been with me since I joined this forum over five years ago. I believe that adversity offers an opportunity for change. Sorta like the issue going on at the moment with evaluating the merger of the different Jeep forums. The issue I bring to the fore with this post is the information posted to our Member Profile and Information page. When I read a post on the forum, I most always look to the member profile to see with whom I am communicating. After awhile the member posting has become a familiar figure because of his (or her) previous posts. I will tell you that I am dismayed over the lack of information by many members. It would seem to me, that our webmaster provided an appropriate forum for us to identify ourselves, in a manner that is in personnel and appropriate. Kinda like looking at your Jeep, name, model, year, use, etc.
Lastly I will offer that our webmaster set the standard for listing the information on our Member Profile page. I rest my case with the request that you look at our webmaster's Member Profile for justification. Before I get shot at, let me say, I too know that some of the information is optional. How many times have I read where someone is asking, "What part of _________ do you live?" It would be nice to look at your Member Profile for this information. Seems simple enough, you?

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 1:49pm
Roger,   I agree with you.  I too have, on occasion, gone to a profile only to find nothing!  No name, state...nothing.  I would like to see some basic info required...if only for my benefit/curiosity.  Us older folks (I'll include myself in that) grew up when face to face personal relationships was how it was done.  Not so much that way anymore, but I will add that some of the greatest people I have met are here on this site, and that door may not have opened if I didn't know their name!  BTW...I just realized where your screen name came from...duh!...good job!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
dirtbuggy View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtbuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 1:49pm
I agree with you 100% so I guess if you git shot you will have some company- its a good thing we live in arizona we can fire back
47 cj2a 48cj2a 04tj 99ford dually diesel and a rhino just added a 62 jeep pickup
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 1:53pm
I agree with you that little info about a person is in the profiles. I am a little paranoid, in fact, sometimes I claim to be a quadranoid, but I do post the basic info on all the forums I am on. From looking at some of the profiles we have a LOT of extremely paranoid members, apparently more so than I am. 

I never understood why people are afraid to put their location up because 90 % of the time you can find their address and phone number by searching. If your on line your visible and can be found. Only those that do not have a computer and go online or have a land line or cell phone can't be easily found and even they can be found if you really want to find them.

OTOH, what a person puts in their profile may not be factual at all. If a person intends to limit their identity they could put different info on each site they visit without ever telling the truth. In a forum you have to accept that the person your discussing something with is who they present themselves to be. 

OTOH, what difference does it make? It a discussion or dissemination of information you have to accept or refuse. It's not like it's a real life changer. With as many that are posting in a thread you have the option to choose what you want to accept or refuse as truth. You always have the site Guru's but even they can make mistakes so you have to do your own search and documentation.
Life is only as good as you make it.
sibaropsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 4:46pm
Count me in with the more-info-is-better group. I admit I thought about it (identity theft, cyber stalking, etc.) a moment before filling in several of the more personal fields, but in the end figured I have nothing to hide from the folks here. My $0.02
Steve
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 7:09pm
Well, it's true, what would they do with what little info that's put there. It would take more than what is asked for at forums to be dangerous to a person.
Life is only as good as you make it.
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

Well, it's true, what would they do with what little info that's put there. It would take more than what is asked for at forums to be dangerous to a person.

You would be amazed at how little info they need. "Be afraid. Be VERY afraid."ConfusedEvil Smile
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 9:41pm
TELL'EM  DRIVER...WE SEE IT EVERYDAY AND THEN SOME !!!ShockedShocked
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 9:48pm
Thank you, Brother. OT Did you see the jeeps for sale in Mt Airy? Check "eWillys". SIGH!
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 9:52pm
SURE DID..I GOT 4 AT THE HOUSE NOW WITH 2 MORE COMING..ENOUGH PROJECTS AGAIN  ConfusedConfused
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 9:54pm
I suppose that you cannot be too cautious in this day and age, but you have to realize that not everything that you place in your profile is available to the public.  If you are not logged in, you cannot see what is in anyone's profile.  If you enter a location, then that displays in each of your posts and is available, but other entries are not.

There is a fair amount that can be deduced about us from this forum based on the bits and pieces of personal information that we reveal in the posts we make.  OTOH, as others have pointed out, the Web search engines can reveal quite a lot about most of us, but you have to know someone's name or address or phone number or other information that is not in a profile in order to do any searching.

I think that the location information is not very revealing.  If you put your birthday in your profile, then once a year your birthday is revealed and associated with your username.  Your real name remains in the profile and available only to forum members.

My bottom line is that I'm not very concerned about having placed my name, birthday and location in my profile. 

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 9:59pm
hillbilly. You are a glutton for punishment. nuff said.

Sam; Just remember, it's not paranoia if you know they're after you. Also remember; they ARE after you.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 10:04pm
It is pretty easy to post a location that does not exactly give your jeep's hiding place to the people who might want to steal it or parts..  Central Texas is a large place to search. Even Coleman, Texas, unless you ask around..

I do remember reading where someone was accused of stealing parts after they had come to visit a member once.... but by and large I doubt 99.9 percent of the people here would be capable of that.  My main worry about the parts jeeps is hiding them from the code enforcement department, not jeep nuts. I suppose I need to worry about selling the extras one of these days, I'm never gonna finish most of them and really don't want to...(Don't you just love it when you have to buy 7 jeeps to get the one you want?)

Now the idiots who keep sending me offers of sharing the huge fortune they must smuggle out of nigeria....they don't get any adress info from me. Not even a reply...as much as I'd like to tell them to go to Helen Waite for my reply.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 10:09pm
The only thing I could really care about in a forum like this is somebody's location.  In regards to a sale, or a price estimate on something, or in the for sale/wanted sections it's handy.  I very rarely click on member profile. 

If a user is an active poster, with a good build thread then it would be nice to see links just in their sig, and/or just their vehicles listed.  However, i doubt i have any of that filled out myself....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 10:18pm
Ya'll do know why we complain so much, don't you? It's because we, an older generation, are so trusting in our friends, acquaintances and even strangers. Truth is assumed, until our trust is shown to be misplaced. Caution is the keyword these days. Don't lie or mislead, but do take steps to protect yourselves in ways that don't compromise your friendships and business relationships. I'm done.
atexascattleman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atexascattleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 11:41pm
Okay fellas, I put some more info on my profile. I am one of those paranoid folks but I'm trying.
I look forward to seeing my fathers again to ask all the questions I should have asked before.
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 11:59pm
And I just updated mine - thanks for triggering this, Roger... R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2012 at 12:11am
Hello my name is Scott Schiller and I am a Jeepaholic, do you really need more than that??EmbarrassedBig smileThumbs Up Just thought I could draw a few laughs. I agree with the being a little safe. Some how even with Norton, etc, some spam joker finds a way to attach my stuff to my email. Oddly enough it only sticks to people I dont email alot. Cyberspace is a scary place. I post my name , email, age but I think the social security, and bank accounts need not be shared. However if someone stole my identity they would probably wind up with a BILL!!!LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>