Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Special Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Midwest MIlitary Top Bow Set

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midwest MIlitary Top Bow Set
    Posted: 19 July 2008 at 8:27pm
My bows from Midwest Military are here!. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait till Sunday for the review. LOL I'm still playing with them.

Edited by wyowillys46 - 20 July 2008 at 4:52am
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2008 at 8:53pm
                               :pic25
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 4:18am
Unfortunately the review will be postponed until my photo hosting website is back up. That's a lot easier than updating my webpage.
1946 #27869

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 6:37am
Ok. Here's the review finally.

I placed my order for a top bow set on the 14th. Recieved them on the 18th. Very fast shipping. They came well packed in a cardboard box stuffed with newspaper. They looked like they hadn't even moved around in the box. The set includes 15 pieces. I also ordered door jamb striker plates, but they haven't arrived yet.

The ends are cut clean and square.

The doglegs aren't bent as cleanly as jpet's (in my opinion), but they're so close it's nitpicking.

Edited by wyowillys46 - 21 July 2008 at 6:57am
1946 #27869

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 6:39am
Connecting tabs for the door rods are neatly done.

As are the brackets for the vertical jamb rods. Wish I could weld this well.

The bows use punch tabs instead of rivets.

Edited by wyowillys46 - 21 July 2008 at 6:40am
1946 #27869

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 6:43am
Here is the front section installed.

The rear section includes horizontal rods. I'm pretty sure this is for 3A's as they were too short to work on the 2A. Remember that the 3A had the seats moved further back on the tub. This shortened the wheelhouse length and moved the front bow sockets back also.

Here's the windshield clamps for the door rods.

1946 #27869

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 6:46am
The front top roof installed (and a door). I'm hoping the top will shrink with age some more.

And the rest of the cab. This is a New Life Canvas top. It would appear that Mrs. Roth forgot to install some Common Sense fasteners for the side curtain rear roof seam! No problem. Also the door handles have not been installed yet.

1946 #27869

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 6:56am
Conclusion

I think I'll give the Midwest Bow Set a 9.5/10. Why not a 10?

First, I had originally expected them to have rivets and not punch tabs. I'm still not sure whats correct for 1946 but the punch tabs work just fine. This is more of a mental thing than a functional problem. If/when the punch-tabs wear out, I'll just replace them with rivets.

The only real functional problem I had was with the windshield clamps. They need to be deburred. They have very sharp edges from the metal being punched out. The radius on the clamp that is supposed to match the windshield frame tubing is incorrect. It's too small. Installing the clamp without enlargening the radius will scratch paint. DAMHIK.

I also didn't measure tubing size. It looks like the curved horizontal pieces may be slightly undersized. They are not swaged on the ends like original bows.  But it doesn't detract from the function.

I was simply amazed at how easily the bows went together. And they're solid! Absolutely no play whatsoever once the whole thing is installed. I was thiniking about welding up the holes that accomodate the rear horizontal rods (for the 3A), but decided it wasn't worth it. I'll probably end up having the bows powdercoated once I'm done tweaking the windshield clamps.

Why did I buy the Midwest bows?
I needed door hardware. Namely the vertical jamb rods and the horizontal rods. After waiting 2 years for a set of bows, I had grown impatient and wanted the whole thing. It was simply a matter of timing, that I chose to go with the Midwest bows.

I hope this has been helpful.

Edited by wyowillys46 - 21 July 2008 at 7:00am
1946 #27869

Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 7:48am

It does look nice, Where did you get the doors from? how long did it take to get the top from New life canvas?

Bob
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 11:24am

Morgan,

The set looks very good to me. Congrats!  The punched out notches in the center bows look better that the ones that I make.  One suggestion that I would make for Midwest would be to bend a radius in the tab where it is welded to the upright.  This would be pretty simple to do.  Obviously what they have is functional.

If you want, I can send you some rivets.  It would be easy to fill the tabs in and install rivets.  The punch tabs do look very good!

Do you think you could show us a picture of the ends of the tube spacer?

Looking Good!

jpet

Edit:  Ya know, nobody has ever answered my question about how to keep the windshield defrosted in these jeeps in the winter.  (now that we are getting tops)

Edited by jpet - 21 July 2008 at 1:38pm
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 12:48pm
very nice Morgan!!!!  in comparison to originals, IIRC, the punch tabs on my last set had a sharper point to it, but other than that, the bows look good :)  thx for the review..low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 3:42pm
Jpet,
    Regarding the defrost situation. I can think of a number of answers. 1. fan blowing on the windshield (remember school buses?), 2. Tilt the bottom of the w/s out (kinda chilly), 3. Military made a electric defroster kit (seen them on ebay from time to time). 4. Press palm of hand on inner glass until the ice melts and then look through the hand print (this one came from a Swedish friend talking about driving a VW beetle in the winter in Sweden).
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 4:59pm
Morgan:

How do the convoluted bends at the front of the door rod look?

Sean
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 4:59pm
One more suggestion for defrosting...Move South! <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Morgan:

How do the convoluted bends at the front of the door rod look?

Sean

I knew someone would ask that. LOL I forgot to take photos of them. I'll get those today.

jpet,
I had noticed that the tabs weren't radiused like originals. Like the doglegs, it's a very small non-functional nitpick.

The doors and lower sockets came from Walcks. His door frames are made here in the US. The only suggestion I have would be to powder-coat or repaint them before having canvas installed.  The paint chips easily.

It's been so long since I got the top from New Life Canvas. But, I want to say at least 6 months for it to get to me.

Edited by wyowillys46 - 21 July 2008 at 5:24pm
1946 #27869

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 8:58pm
Morgan,

How did you get your top made without the bows?  I thought you had to send her your bows so that she can fit the canvas toit.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 9:05pm
if i am not mistaken, only the door frames need to be sent to Mona....the door frames are all that get completely sewn on to the metal...i think she has a mock up of a set of bows for fitment while sewing the bulk of the tops....or when she took delivery of the business, she got the template patterns of the material for cutting.....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 11:35pm
Here's pics of the door rod.

I've no doubt got the clamps installed backwards or upside down or some screwy way.

Mrs. Roth needs only the door frames if you have a later style top (handles on the doors). If you have an earlier one (handles on the jambs) you need to send her those rods in addition to the door frames.
1946 #27869

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>