Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mig welder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mig welder
    Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 4:34am
  Does anyone on here have any experience with a Snap on FM140A mig welder?  My new neighbor gave me one  that was left by a po when he bought his house. He said he had no use for a welder.  Everything works except that the wire feed cant be adjusted and it stays at a high speed no matter where it is set.  I was wondering if it would be worth taking it to a welding shop to have repaired.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 6:03am
Sounds like a great deal on a fairly expensive and capable welder. Here is a link to the owners manual for that welder:

Wish I had one like that.

DonH

1946CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 12:17pm
for what you have into it, I'd think it would be worth looking into fixing it

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 12:55pm
Definitely check into it, snap-on may have repair techs too. It would be a perfect machine for body work.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 1:09pm
The rheostat/potentiometer (speed knob adj) may be bad.  If you got a VOHM handy, you can test it by taking off the metal housing cover and pull off the wires going to it.  Do this with no power applied to the welder of course.
Definitely worth looking into though to fix.  You will find having a welder will come in more handy when you have one and you will not know how you ever lived without one.

Edited by bretto - 05 Oct. 2018 at 1:14pm
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 5:42pm
Thanks fellows for the support.   This thing has been sitting in a barn and some of  the sheet metal is rusty and needs cleaned up and painted.  I have a cheap 115 amp Campbell Hausfield that I have used for over 10 years but have never really like it hoping this snap on if worth fixing would be a lot nicer machine. 

Someone has already changed the rheostat and the old one was laying in the bottom of the case so I tested it and it was good so I put it back in.

The service manual that I Googled says to adjust the the trim resistor on the printed circuit board.  I tried that and it doesn't change anything either so it could be bad and cause the problem. I think I am going to replace it and if that doesn't fix it then take it to a repair shop.

I did fire it up and can tell it is a lot  better machine than the CH. It also has a switch that can be selected for spot, stitch, or continuous weld.   I am starting to get excited  about it.

Jim
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 6:55pm
I have that same welder. They are very durable. I love mine. I bought it used around 15 years ago and use it regularly.  I have heard the new ones are easier to use, and I'm sure there are nicer ones, but I like it for sheetmetal work and general repairs. I even welded up the Willys intake manifold when it cracked.  The Snap On guy has parts, too, which is great. I have the manual and some other docs that came with it, so let me know if there's something you need.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 8:49pm
   Glad to hear your positive experience with it and thanks for the offer on information.

Jim
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 1:20am
I think you will find that Snap-on rebranded other makes of welders with their name. A lot of snap on welders were made by Century. I have a Solar MIG that’s a rebranded Century and a lot of the parts in the posted manual look very familiar. I did have to replace a circuit board in it once, but I’ve had it for 30 years.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 3:31am
   Thanks Don for the link, I saved it in my documents a, it will be of good help.

I also read like Otto said Century and Systematics  made welders for them.

Jim
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2018 at 3:11am
Update, I finally got this snap on FM 140a mig welder working after changing about all the parts on the pc board and it still not working.

To get it to work I used a rectifier and a cheap 12.00 china DC Volt PWM speed controller and did away with the original PC board and it works great. I did order 2 more PWM speed controllers at 4.00 each for spares. The one I put on it is a lot higher amp rated (40 amp) than is really needed and the extra ones I ordered are 10 amp.

Now I want to clean it up and put a coat of paint on it, I might even check it out on my 1946 Bantam T3C trailer next spring that needs a new floor and a little body work.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply