Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini-starters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 11:07am
Thanks Seth

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 2:03pm
I ended up going with the Land Cruiser starter. So far, so good. Thought about the gear reduction starters, but for $55 bucks, it's working great. A lot less drain on the battery now over the old original starter and a lot lighter.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 2:35pm
Tell us more about that swap so it will be documented on this thread, please.

Specifics such as what flywheel, bell housing, etc....and maybe specifics on the starter itself (what to actually ask for at the parts counter)

Thanks!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 4:33pm
I'll add a little info to this thread.  This may help some people, but confuse the situation for others.

This is the high torque starter designed for the ’64-’83 Toyota LandCruiser.  It is installed on a L-134, but the flywheel and the bell housing are from a CJ3B/CJ5.

Photo of the Bell housing…

Part No. 16828 Starter from Advance Auto, Oreilly, etc…

I got the information from the 3B Info Page.

https://www.cj3b.info/Tech/Starter.html

It replaced an MDU-7004 starter.  Pictured.

The conversion does require you to file out/elongate  the mounting hole a bit, but that was it.  It works quite well, but I do miss the typical sound the original starter made on this Willys. This sounds like I’m starting a…well…a Toyota.Confused

Edited by athawk11 - 12 July 2019 at 4:36pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 10:46pm
Thanks Tim for adding.

And to specify for sake of the thread....the bellhosing used for this conversion is an f-head. (this info and more is given in the link Tim posted)

Edited by rocnroll - 12 July 2019 at 10:48pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 11:01pm
Does The 16828 Toyota Starter need the F-head housing for clearance of the snout?
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Does The 16828 Toyota Starter need the F-head housing for clearance of the snout?

There is no snout on the 16828 starter, so it doesn't really need the clearance.   I think this starter works primarily because the bendix teeth count, size and throw, the diameter of the starter hole in the rear engine plate, and the mounting bolt diameter.  I will emphasize again that you do need to "move" the mounting holes outward a few fractions of an inch.

It's a neat little starter, but there are limits to when it can be used.  As Roc mentions, it will work all day long on a original equipment F-Head.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 2:45pm
Here is the one I choose to use. Its a rebuild and cost me a total of $55 with the core returned. Which was a tired out chevy starter, but don't tell them that. Big smile I used a spare engine plate from a M38a1 in my vise and did use a rats tale file to open the holes slightly. The inside diameter was near perfect fit to the engine plate. They say that you have to used a smaller diameter bolt for the bottom when installing, but I just slightly hit the bottom hole on the starter with the rat tale and was able to use the original bolt. All in all, I would say that it took me about a minute or two to remove enough material, to get both stock bolts to work. I did however, pick up a large allen head screw for the top bolt instead of the hex. It was a lot easier to get the allen head wrench in the now tight spot to tighten that top bolt. There is the extra wire on top of the solenoid which is now on the starter instead of the fender. That wire just needs to be taped off and kept from any metal. It is live all the time the starter is wired live. I did have to trim a little off the starter housing to get it to align with the holes, once going into the engine plate. Too late to show you that, but it just amounted to a 1/16 inch lip, that j hit the block when going in. the starter is a very good choice when thinking about replacing a tired worn out original. I only did it, because I could not get a new original here quick enough for my desire to hear my new engine run. This one was available same day at the auto parts store. Now my original starter is sitting there all lonely on the shelf. I promised it that I would rebuild it at some point, but not rushing that now. LOL Wish I took more pictures when I was doing this, but like I said, I wanted to hear my new F head fire up. PS; This is in my newly acquired 1953 CJ3b.

Edited by masscj2a - 13 July 2019 at 2:47pm
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2019 at 2:23pm
Here are a few pictures of the LC starter installed. Had to take with my cell phone camera, as I went metal detecting with the girl friends camera the other day, in 6 feet of water, and it ain't the same anymore. Dead Remember, always check your pockets before going into water.  Top picture you can see how I used the hex cap screw instead of a hex bolt. Made it pretty easy to get it tight. If you have a long enough allen wrench.
If you look close, you can see the spare red wire in pic #2 just sitting, taped off next to the main battery lead going to the starter. Just tape this one or cut it off as the only other wire you need to hook up is the one with the splade coming off the starter and goes to ignition switch. I also use a waterproof circuit breaker as my load center. My other recent upgrade was a 94 amp alternator .

This type of starter does have the cast or steel nose cone on it and it fits pretty well into the engine plate/bell housing. forgot to mention that earlier. Meshes with the flywheel perfectly.

Edited by masscj2a - 14 July 2019 at 4:11pm
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Rick R Rick R wrote:

I’ll post a couple of photos and include the instructions

Who's running a 'regular' starter relay and who's not......and why.

My thinking is ....If it can be run without why add another 'failure' point to the system?

(mine is just like the one Rick pictured with spade terminal)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 5:19pm
Had one of these show up in the mail yesterday.  can't really say much about it yet.  Except it looks good sitting in my pile of parts waiting on installation.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 7:13pm
Yeah that's where I'm at with mine too.....been too busy with non Jeep related stuff to fool with it.

Hopefully the two Rick's (and others) will give their opinions on the best way to wire (since there are options)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 7:27pm
With the above pictured starter, there is no need for the relay as the solenoid is built onto the starter and is energized by sending 12V to the spade terminal. Anything additional would be overcomplicating what should be a simple system.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Spinnas Spinnas wrote:

With the above pictured starter, there is no need for the relay as the solenoid is built onto the starter ......

The "above pictured starter" (Masscj2a) is the Toyota starter.......NOT the one I am using (and from the way it sounds Mike either)

We are using the one pictured in Rick's post.

But your thought seems to be what I am thinking ....needless complication.

Was just wanting to see what they had opted to do on theirs.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 12:21am
My starter did have a cone that extends into the bell. I think it's the same for both starters, in as much as the starter only requires the one wire. (wire with splade end)  I'm just a Jeep guy with land cruiser parts on his Jeep. 😁

Edited by masscj2a - 01 Aug. 2019 at 12:24am
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 5:40am
My plan is to run the cables from the alternator and battery to the main terminal on the starter. Then hook up the start circuit wire from the 4 way switch I put in last time I fixed things. It will go to smaller terminal. The plate and maybe the spur been changed. The plate is machines to reference to the bell-housing and can be clocked around to any of 3 positions as necessary. 
All in all I like what I’m seeing

Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 10:51pm
Finally got the starter installed! I was going to do it several weeks ago but my throwout bearing started growling so I pulled the motor yesterday and just finished today. I have 98 tooth ring gear and run a 12 volt alternator. The starter has three indexing options on the flange I rotated it ccw as viewed from the front which lets the stud clear the block nicely. I previously had my original 6 volt starter rewound to 12 volts and had a solenoid mounted on the fender. Other than reindexing the mounting flange everything else bolted and wired up as before. 
RWILLYS (Space R)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 10:39pm
No joy on mine....starter seems to do what it's supposed to ....except engage the flywheel.

124 tooth flywheel....9 tooth starter.....2A bellhosing.

What next?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>