Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini-starters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 10:56pm
I have a 97 tooth ring gear and the starter I got bolted right up. 124 tooth would be 3A-3B don’t know what others and what fitment  issues there might be. My old starter has a 10 tooth bendix and my new  one has a 9 tooth. Both work fine with the 97 tooth.
RWILLYS (Space R)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 11:01pm
Mine bolted up without a fuss also......getting kinda ticked at this point.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2019 at 4:25am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

No joy on mine....starter seems to do what it's supposed to ....except engage the flywheel.

124 tooth flywheel....9 tooth starter.....2A bellhosing.

What next?

That’s what I have.  Hopefully I have better luck
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2019 at 5:13pm
It's starting to look inevitable that I'm just going to pull the engine and go to a 97 tooth flywheel from the parts pile.

I know this is the proper fix but was just trying to get around doing it......(damn it)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2019 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

It's starting to look inevitable that I'm just going to pull the engine and go to a 97 tooth flywheel from the parts pile.

I know this is the proper fix but was just trying to get around doing it......(damn it)

Murphy’s Law 😂 don’t fight it, it will get worse

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 4:21am
I have a couple of questions,
First I have a 47 with a flat head 134 and 96 tooth ring gear.  The current starter
has a bushing in the bell housing casting, so does this starter have any support for the
gear or does it not need a bushing like the old starter?

Second I jeep is set up with a 12v system but I still use the heavy wire going from
the battery thru a heavy push button switch connected directly to the starter.
Will this starter work with that layout without rewiring my jeep.

I'm currently looking at the m244113-m2-4199 model starter on ebay.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 5:16am
They do not need the support of the bushing and they will come with a wiring diagram with two or three options as how to wire it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 1:06pm
And you should have a 97 tooth ring gear. I’ve been really pleased with my new starter.
RWILLYS (Space R)
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 2:18pm
I got mine here.
http://snap-usa.com/

At the time there was a pkg deal-starter & alt at a discounted price.

Edited by RICKG - 05 Nov. 2019 at 2:27pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2019 at 1:46am
Would anyone have the wiring diagram for the wiring options of a mini starter. Mine show up today but didn't have any instructions for installing the thing.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 3:08am
How was your old one wired up?  You can wire it how you want.  If you want a simple foot switch, the heavy cable from the switch goes to the starter motor and it is already grounded to the engine block.  If you have a starter solenoid, one big cable should be coming from the battery, hook the other big cable coming from the other side (usually) of the solenoid to the starter.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
robert.uren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2022 at 11:08am
I wondered if you could help me , I am over in the UK buying and selling willys jeeps, I see on your website that you fit a direct drive pre enguaged starter onto your cj 2  jeeps, over here in the UK people are switching from the old slow 6 volt starting to 12 volt using the same 6 volt starter but this is an old school inertia starter and the cog hits the ring gear at twice the speed and torque causing eventual teeth wear on the ring gear and the starter sounds crude and rough in operation , I see you have discovered that a toyota standard direct drive pre enguaged starter will fit your cj2 jeeps, i am hoping the ww2 mb and the ford gpw would have the same ring gear and trying to find the serial numbers or model of toyota your starters have come from so we vcan start fitting them over here in the UK, any help with this would be so usefull , I write a regular column in the Classic militarty vehicle magazine so would be glad to promote anyone who can help with this  regards robert U'Ren www.willysjeepuk.co.uk ;

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2022 at 4:45pm
Hi I am trying to find a suitable pre enguaged direct drive starter for modification that will fit a willys mb or ford gpw , Im not a fan of the reduction geared type , they sound to noisy and modern for my liking. 
I don't know how many teeth the flywheel has on the  ww2 jeeps, perhaps one of you could throw some light on this, I like the look of the starter in the picture fitted to the red engine but don't know the serial number for that starter or the number of teeth and diameter of the cog  , If any of you could help i would be most grateful regards Robert U'Ren www.willysjeepuk.co.uk  ;
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 2:20am
If you have a 129 tooth flywheel and the late CJ3A bellhousing you can use the Starter from a 4.2L Toyota Landcruiser 6cyl. All you have to do is open up the top bolt hole some. If you have a 97 tooth ring gear and a bushing style Bellhousing I know of no other modern starter then the Hi torque ones being sold.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 4:10am
thanks very much for your help but I have the 97 tooth 
flywheel with the fewest teeth so your great simple easy mod starter wont work for me, i will keep looking 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 4:13am

All original WWII Jeeps had 6 volt batteries and 6 volt starters. This system worked adequately while the Jeeps were so new and compression was good, but the cranking was slow. After the war, Jeeps went into civilian use. The mileage went up over the years, the engines lost a little compression, and the slow-cranking 6 volt starters just didn’t have the extra speed needed for a quick and efficient start-up.

Many Jeeps were later converted to 12 volt batteries, but the 6 volt starter motors remained. This would crank the engines over at a faster pace, resulting in a higher compression and a quick easy start-up. The voltage regulators were also changed for 12 volt units, sourced from old cars of the period. Hooters and bulbs were changed to 12 volts, and all went well for a time. The original 6 volt starter motor will tolerate the extra voltage with no problem, but unfortunately the engagement part of the starter motor doesn’t tolerate the higher power and the increase in speed. This causes the two springs on the mechanism to break over time, and results in a starter motor jam up (see picture 1).

The faster spinning cog also damages the flywheel gears because it is already spinning when it engages. Over time, this rounds off the teeth on the flywheel, eventually causing that horrible slipping and grating noise. When this starts to happen, if caught in time it can be fixed, but often it’s ignored and will go on grating until several inches of the flywheel has been worn away beyond repair. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 4:23am
I have managed to convert a starter from an e type jag to fit and it is a superb starter , unfortunately it was a huge amount of machining and welding etc to make it fit and i am sure there must be another more suitable starter out there that would fit a ww2 jeep with  97 tooth ring gear with minor modification and a 10 tooth cog already fitted, I will keep looking as i am sure its out there , just needs to be discovered , I am not a fan of the noisy hi torque units, they sound harsh and dont last
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 10:12am
What about this starter from Walck’s ?

Edited by Michaeltru - 17 Mar. 2022 at 10:13am
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>