Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini-starters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 10:52am
the 6 volt starters can take the voltage no problem the business end is what causes the trouble, the cog has double the torque and voltage behind it so slams into the ring gear hard and chews away at it untill eventually the teeth wear back, also the small return spring and its thrust washer was only ever designed to have 6 volts so when 12 volts hits it , very soon the little spring disintebrates and often the bigger spring behind also breaks, all in all a 6 volt starter running on 12 volts is very destructive to itself and the flywheel ring gear, the suppliers have started selling so called 12 volt versions of the 6 volt starters these are a con , they are still 6 volt starters but with 12 volt tags riveted on, dont believe what i say, try one and you will soon see  
robert.uren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 11:00am
the only way to get over the ring gear destruction problem when running a 12 volt battery is to fit a 12 volt starter, the  trouble is there is no 12 volt pre engaged starters on the market apart from the reduction gear type, there are the old 1920s inertia 6 volt type available as reproduction but they are very poor quality and dont last long at all , ontop of that they are 6 volt despite being sold as 12 volt ,I don't like the high torque reduction gear 12 volts as i have heard from buyers who say it sounds noisy , harsh and wears out quickly as it doesn't use the bell housing support bushing, hopefully someone will be able to tell me of a starter that will retro fit the jww2 jeep with not to much fettling, something direct drive, 12 volts and pre engaged, huge thanks  for who ever finds one, so far i have had many many emails but non of the information I need yet
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 2:40pm

Robert,

Might I suggest you start your own posting outlining exactly what you are looking for? You have interjected into more than one thread in your quest for the starter you are looking for. This thread is about mini-starters, which you apparently have a disdain for. Several of us use them and do not have the same concerns you have expressed.

Regarding the products sold by Willys Jeep Parts, several of us have purchased parts from them. I personally have never had a problem with them and they appear to me to be a reputable supplier of parts. Before disparaging something they sell, I would suggest contacting them and discussing what he is selling. When it comes to these vehicles, none of us know everything. Who knows, maybe he can assist you in solving your problem.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:44pm
HI thanks for the message, i never mentioned willys jeep parts company in my threads , actually I have never even heard of them let alone purchased anything from them, I don't even know who the company's who sell the repro starters are and certainly wouldn't want to buy one anyway, I have seen to many failed examples , sorry to sound like I am criticizing but  I don't think when we experience these sub standard parts we should all put up and shut up , If we all do that the jeep parts suppliers will carry on supplying these parts unaware they are no good?Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.uren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:54pm
I am with you on the starter , i shouldn't criticise it even when i have seen evidence of more than one failing prematurely, the noise they make is very modern like a Kubota tractor so I dont personally like the sound they make , also the high torque they turn out is not as gentle on the ring gear as  a conventional non reduction starter would be especially if the ring gear is a little worn already, Its the reduction gearing that doesn't in my mind need to be on it but I guess it is an easy starter to adapt for different vehicles especially because the support bush in the bellhousing is not needed but then all the stress has to be taken on the end of the starter and the cog is only supported at the starter end not the tip of the shaft like the standard jeep design, If you would rather i didn't post any more stuff i will respect that and quite understand If you have one of these starters, my posting could then feel quite insulting 

Regards Rob     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456