Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mitsubishi 3b

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitsubishi 3b
    Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 7:27pm
Howdy folks,

I know, not as cool as the real willys, but i fell in love with this little jeep and bought it, seeing a real one was hard to come by or much more expensive. My excuse was this is a future ride for the little one. That was my same excuse for getting the little jeep atv. I at least did make him a cool jeep cart. 

This is an 84, i got it through paladin trucks. Few things i did was add was a hidden bluetooth amp and speaker setup from crawltunes, added some aux lights and willys wheels with some new bfg ko2s. Also got some new seatbelts since the originals were sketchy at best. 

It came with a set of wheels and new tires, but i wasn't a fan of the look, got these and I love em, and now have a matching spare.

Also added a few decals to make it mine, and a ammo can center console. 

Had a decent snow a few weeks back and the 4 wheel on this worked great. Was driving windshield down and got a ton of looks from folks who thought i was crazy. I'll eventually add a cj rear seat, I took out the jump seats as I wasn't a fan of those and respray the gold roll bar another color, I'm thinking a silver or red.

Edited by frenchlayer - 25 Jan. 2018 at 9:27pm
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 9:12pm
Jeep World in Georgia! Passing on the Willys addiction to that boy at an early age--gotta love it!

Cool array of vehicles. Is your MitsuWillys 3B gas or diesel?

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
frenchlayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 9:23pm
got the gas one, was real close to getting the diesel, but figured it would be cheaper to maintain and purchase was 3 grand cheaper for the gasser. 
Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 9:31pm
dig it  and the red jeep...kid looks happy too...there was one at Dover AFB awhile ago......Nice
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 9:44pm
I'd drive that! How's parts availability? Does anything interchange?
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 3:49pm
majority of the parts are interchangeable. Any shop should be able to work on these
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 4:16pm
Where in GA are ya? I'm 30 minutes south of Atlanta

AH I see the Cobb license plate!

Edited by jeeper50 - 26 Jan. 2018 at 4:18pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 4:18pm
mayretta
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 5:57pm
They are good, there's heap of Jap Import ones here in NZ, very tough little truck.

I actually have a Mitsi Diesel from an early Jap Jeep and the block shape is identical to the L134, buts its a OHV.

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 5:00am
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

I actually have a Mitsi Diesel from an early Jap Jeep and the block shape is identical to the L134, buts its a OHV.

Does that mean it's an easy bolt-in?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 7:29am
Quite possible, I have some L134 Bell housings here so might offer one up to it.

They are an older engine, inline injection pump and very heavy built.

I will see if I can post some photos over the weekend.

The generator and starter sit right in againest the block and everything is in the same place.....but remember they are probably only worth considering for a 3B.

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 1:06am
Food for thought, isn't it?  Question
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 11:36am
Interesting jeep. Looks good all black.... but all those lights! 
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 2:18pm
The lights, I believe, are an Asian thing.  I understood that if any American cars moved to Japan would have to be retrofitted for their standards and IIRC any American vehicle with a converter would need to have that removed as well.  So, most everyone would just buy a vehicle after arriving.

I bought a pair of those Mitsubishi side steps for my 3B while I was on Okinawa (they hang about half the distance as factory side steps) and initially thought I'd use the drawings y'all posted a while back to have the longer stock arms used in place but will continue to waffle about leaving them higher - as is.

Yours looks RHD which makes it unique.  What about wrenching - isn't it all metric?
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 6:31pm
Mitsuibishi Diesel engine photos, the engine is currently powering a tow behind vibrator roller, so the cover is in the way.

Like a lot of Jap stuff its 24 volt electrics.

Yes its metric, 99% of the world now is and its not a problem to work on.

The Mercedes, Kubota and other small diesels all are as well.

You can see the basic layout is the same, this block even has the distributor mounting cast into it, but was never machined out, the engine also has inherited the crack just under it and going by all the weld its been saved.

Date would be 70's, maybe early 80's????

It actually runs very well!, and to explain the overall condition it came from a Saltworks....

Edited by Adrian - 28 Jan. 2018 at 6:50pm
1973 Saab 96
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 1:18am
That's a sweet-looking Mitsujipi! Tongue

Any idea how the power compares to a standard L134?

I've always thought that the geometry and overall  design of the Go-Devil seemed like it had originally been intended as a diesel motor. The rod length, original piston design, etc seemed more diesel than gas to me.

Hmm. looks like I have some research to do. Do you know what the model name of the motor is?

Thanks,
Les

Edited by LesBerg - 31 Jan. 2018 at 1:20am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 4:51am
Les, just did some googling...engine is a KE31. originally 56hp, later ones were 60hp at 3500.

The first model made by Mitsubishi was in 1953, last 1998!.

The later Jeeps used a 4DR5 engine, it got more HP as time went on.

The 4DR5 were 2.7 Litre, some were turbo charged.

I put one in a 1978 Landrover years ago but it was not much of an improvement on the Rover diesel, the 5 speed gearbox I fitted was a waste of time with 7.50-16 tyres and really made it sluggish.

The KE31 is perfect for a 3B, of any version, US, Jap, Indian made etc, but would be a squeeze for height I think in a 2A-3A?.
1973 Saab 96
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 5:17am
Probably. I'm just trying to look at all the period(esque) options for mine.

It has a 24" stretch, and the direction I'm going is "if Willys built an expedition truck on the CJ chassis in '48"

Right now it's got a Dauntless. I'm looking for a period engine that Willys might have considered for the assembly line.

The Perkins diesel is less powerful than the L134 and has a lower redline, so it's out. The Hurricane six is too long, so it's out too. Not many options left, so I'm looking to my turbo L134 at 5psi boost. I cooked my first flathead working on it, so I'm approaching it with a little more caution this time around.

Relocate the cap on top that valve cover, build a custom exhaust, and tighten up that injector plumbing, that that motor just might fit.
Nope. I just realized that motor has both valves in the head. It wouldn't fit without hood modifications I really don't want to do.

Either way, that a nice Mitsu and a cool old diesel.

Thanks for the info!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>