Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor mount shims???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor mount shims???
    Posted: 16 July 2018 at 11:43am
I have come across something that has been puzzling me for a while: motor mount shims.

They seem to be available from various vendors looking to sell them, but I haven't come across them in the manuals. My '48 came to me without them, which of course means nothing. I did find this post about them on the forum. Not much conclusive info on what they are for or when they were needed.

My questions:
Under what circumstances were CJ2A's fitted with them?
Did CJ2A's leave the factory with them?
What was being achieved? OK, they lift the motor. But my motor seems to fit well (with fan and shroud) without them. So why put them in?
If it was a constant, known problem, why not fix the problem by raising the frame brackets, or working them into the insulators, or adjusting the engine plate ears? Why were they removable, or at least sold separately?

Other observations:
There seems to be no information or procedures on the manuals on how to fit them, or what thicknesses achieve what result?
There only seems to be one thickness available from vendors, unlike regular shims. More of a plate than a shim really. 

So does anyone know much about these, why they were used, what they achieved, why so few people have them and their motors seem to run just fine....

I'm interested!
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 11:51am
The only place I have seen shims used is on a Ford GPW!, never on a 2A from the factory. I have noticed on some current front motor mounts I've replaced that they are slightly shorter than the originals, this can effect how the fan sits in the shroud and have made a shim to correct this.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 12:11pm
Is it possible there is another application with very similar though slightly shorter mounts?  They could manufacture one mount for multiple applications, and supply (sell) a shim to make it work in certain applications to avoid having to make and inventory multiple parts... and they get to sell you shims
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

I have come across something that has been puzzling me for a while: motor mount shims.

What was being achieved? OK, they lift the motor.
I'm interested!

I think(guessing) Lee is right that there to allow for differences in motor mounts, not necessarly to raise the motor, I've never seen them in the 4-5 different motors I've pulled, but that means next to nothing Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

The only place I have seen shims used is on a Ford GPW!, never on a 2A from the factory. I have noticed on some current front motor mounts I've replaced that they are slightly shorter than the originals, this can effect how the fan sits in the shroud and have made a shim to correct this.

Lee

That's interesting. So the rule on a CJ2A would kinda go like this: If your fan is not centred in the shroud you might need a shim to lift it, if it is centred (more or less) you're good to go.

I wonder how many people currently have or use shims on their rigs, either home made or bought....?
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
 Post Reply Post Reply