Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor mystery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retired1! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor mystery
    Posted: 21 Mar. 2023 at 4:39pm
How can Check if my motor is original? Where to look for info to determine that easily? 
Tks, I remain , dumbfounded! 
🤪
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2023 at 5:09pm
I don't know of any way to tell if the engine is "original" to that particular Jeep, but IF the serial number remains on the engine someone can probably tell you the year it was made, and if that matches the year of your Jeep it is about as close as you will get for confirmation. The serial number is on the top of the cylinder block directly behind the water pump. I said IF (big IF) because if the block was ever decked during a rebuild the serial number may not be there.

These Jeeps are 3/4 of a century old, and in my experience, most of them have had an engine swap at some point. 

Such should only matter if someone is doing a show quality restoration, most of us are happy to find a good engine in a Jeep, or a good rebuildable block at least.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2023 at 5:31pm
Some states use the engine number as the serial number for the title. 

Mine came out of CA and the engine number matches the 1968 title. 

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2023 at 8:08pm
Early CJ-2A’s had the engine number on an oval pad behind oil filter. So 2 places to look for serial number. Your engine is the flathead 4?
Mike in AZ
Retired1! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retired1! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2023 at 9:50pm
Yes. Flat head 4 Cyl. 
 Post Reply Post Reply