Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mouse Wars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mouse Wars
    Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 2:31pm

Greetings, Each Fall some of us have a series of skirmishes with field mice attempting to take over and render our CJ2As inoperable.  This is a post to chronicle our struggles, so future generation might know why there is no grill felt/hair, no padding in the seats, no working wiring, clogged oil bath breathers, nests in the tool boxes and that big nest on the flathead next to the carburetor.

2020 - This fall has been like the last several years.   I have replaced the felt on the radiator with in the last 12 months.  All was well with the felt on the radiator going into the Ohio Fall Colors Trip (10/17/2020).  I did discover the insolation chewed off several wires under the dash going into my fuse box and repaired the wires just before the trip.

After the trip I put cork plugs into the openings where the wires go into the fuse box under the dash to ensure no mouse could squeeze through.  Checked the toolbox - no mouse nest in the toolbox.   I did find evidence of mice activity in the form of acorns being stored and eaten on the front grill felt/hair which I cleaned off.

We had a hard freeze here which motivates the mice activity - historically.

Last weekend, I found signs of mice harvesting the radiator felt/hair it again.   So, I set few mouse traps with peanut butter and added one of those mouse deterrent aroma packs.

Yesterday, I checked the traps and no mice, but the bait was cleaned off (which means camelback crickets (allies of the mice) are getting to the peanut butter before the mice do).  More acorn evidence on front grill felt/hair and signs of additional harvesting.  Checked the toolbox and there is a nice big nest made of the grill felt/hair.  Remove the nest.  Fabricated a hardware cloth cover for the top of the radiator felt/hair and rest the mouse traps.  I don't think the aroma packs annoy the mice at all and might actually attract their cricket friends.  

The mice are winning at this point.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 2:37pm
I'd get some of those sticky traps. They will gather all the crickets, and maybe a mouse or two! That, and the traps should give you the advantage. I use the big green mouse killer chunks as bait, and place them in a tube with one end closed. At the open end I put a mouse trap. They have to step on the trap to get to the bait. If they steal the bait and eat it, that will kill them, too, I think.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 2:50pm
I think cats make the best mouse/chipmunk traps.  I'm not a cat person but I keep a little cat food around so the local pest control will at least patrol the area from time to time. 
-Gaffer
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 2:54pm
It is a constant battle out here in the country. When it starts getting cold the little varmints find their way into our basement, and pantry even though I have tried to seal up all entry points for the 20 years I have lived here. The ones that get into the house are tiny mice, but larger field mice used to wreak havoc with my tractors and other equipment stored outdoors. 

Tried all sorts of traps, baits and poisons but would still find damage, nests, piles of nut shells, and green mouse turds. I think they like those green baits.

Wife found some deterrent that comes in little burlap pouches called "Grandpa Gus". I put a few of those under the hood of my tractors and so far haven't seen any sign of mice. They actually smell good to me, so could put them anywhere. She also put a little bowl with cotton balls soaked in vinegar with cinnamon and cayenne pepper sprinkled on in the pantry, and that seems to work too.   
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 3:28pm
Same trouble here, just when I think we got them they come back. Four cats, one hunts regularly and I find his trophies on the sidewalk daily. The odd thing I’ve found is if you leave the hood up the mice don’t bother things under there, as soon as I put it down I’ll find a nest in a couple days. Also started keeping a trap on the passenger floor.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 3:43pm

Here's a picture of the hardware cloth on the Radiator felt/hair.  The factory rounded edge is up against the radiator and the other edge is tight into the grill.

Old - I will also order some of the "Grampa Gus" mouse repellent - give that a try.

48 - I have been using trap on the floor with some luck and even have one permanently mounted to the fender in the engine compartment.

Stev
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 4:35pm
Get some Fox urine from trapper supply people, it will scare the mice & draw the Fox. Put it on a little bush about the right hight like a fox did it, by the corner of the building the Jeep is in~
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

...and even have (a trap) permanently mounted to the fender in the engine compartment.

Gold... simply pure gold LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 5:25pm

Here is a great picture of the damage the mice can do to the Grill felt/hair.  This is from a year that the mouse won.

Stev
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 5:40pm
Peppermint oil?   Supposed to keep em away
Mike in AZ
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 10:12pm
I use Bounce fabric sheets in wife's VW when stored for winter. Scattered through the interior, under the hood and in the trunk.  No evidence of mice for the last 3 winters.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 10:45pm
I have problems with rats in the barn where I park my tractor and hunting boats.  Last year before duck season I had to completely re wire by duck boat from chewed wires.  I started popping the hood on the tractor and opening all of the hatches on my boats and that seems to keep them out.  They like it dark and hidden. When it is all out in the open, they seem to leave it alone.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 2:51am
This is the best trap I know of for catching mice. It's called a rolling log bucket trap, you can buy this one direct from Docazoo for $23.00 or build your own. It's best feature is it keeps catching without resetting.  Mine is homemade and I just used it to clean out the mice from my hunting cabin. Smear peanut butter on the "log" in the middle and they fall in the water and drown.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 2:57am
Sprinkling cloves around seems to help
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 3:01am
BTW there's a youtube video showing it in use... I believe it's called 11 mice in one night. The pic above is from that vid and on Docazoo's site.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
refrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 8:22am
Jack stands set in a cookie sheet filled with old motor oil.
Just an idea. I have not tried it.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 11:26am
The bucket trap works well, but antifreeze instead of water so it won't freeze. 

Tried Irish Spring soap. They eat that. 

Dryer sheets and they built a nest in that. 

Cab Fresh or Fresh Cab in the aroma bags works fantastic. One on top the engine where they dine in comfort and another inside As long as it's not a old bag of it, it works well. 

Mouse traps with peanut butter as backup. 4 or 5 inside. 

A bait trap box with the green poison sticks helps reduce their number, but is bad if your cat, owls, and other natural predators eat the mice that have died. 

I hope you never get "Meadow Mice" or Voles. They ruin your garden, flowers, grape plants, and multiply like a alien invasion. Now that was a real war for me. The green poison pellets work best for them. Patience and mouse traps if they get into your greenhouse. Muscular tough buggers. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 3:19pm
  My Grandpa said a mixture of even parts of flour and Portland cement, dry, works. They eat it for the flour, drink water, and the cement sets up in their stomach. 
  There was something else, Alka-Seltzer maybe. They eat it then drink water and it starts bubbling. They can’t burp or vomit so they blow up. 
  I’ve tried the flour/cement mix, and they do eat it, but I can’t say for sure that it works. Either would not hurt pets or predators. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>