Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mouse Wars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2020 at 3:57pm
Used to be a young woman who worked for me who said she would put out a pan filled with soda pop and claimed it would do that.

One of dad's friends, Ray Warren, once swallowed an Alka-Seltzer tablet on a hunting trip just to see what it would do. Later at the nearest hospital he admitted it was a foolish thing to do.

I bought an old house once and was up underneath it fixing a busted drain pipe. There I was laying in the mud handling iron pipe when I happened to notice bare wires where the mice had sat on the pipe chewing off insulation. One wrong move and I would have fried, as I was very well grounded. Don't know why the little varmints like plastic so much.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2020 at 12:01am
I use the RV trick, cuts bars of Irish Spring soap and stash them all over the rig. The smell is too strong for them and keeps them away. Viola- no mice. 

Same trick works in the garden for keeping deer away. 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
EMyers View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 2:43am
Super glue a corn kernel on the bait lever of the trap, gets em every time. Caught three in the same trap one day and never had to rebait! 
CJ2A 18450

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/46-cj2a-18450_topic41246_page1.html

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 4:06am
Originally posted by EMyers EMyers wrote:

Super glue a corn kernel on the bait lever of the trap, gets em every time. Caught three in the same trap one day and never had to rebait! 

Love it!   Need to try that.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2020 at 4:52am
I like that idea too! Someone had mentioned that the camel back crickets will eat peanut butter off of the traps. We have those darn things in the basement too, so probably why traps I have set with peanut butter get cleaned off without triggering the trap. I doubt the crickets would be interested in a corn kernel.

The mice got into my pantry, chewed a hole into a plastic container I store dried beans and such in. 

They seem to greatly prefer split green peas to the various beans I have stored there, I might super glue a pea to the levers of a few traps and see how that works. I put one of those Grandpa Gus scent packs in there the other day, so may not have any more mice in the pantry. 

Previously I had bought the Grandpa Gus packs that come in little burlap pouches, this time I bought their stronger variety which comes in little filter packs. Put just one in the pantry two days ago. Small packet, about 2 1/2" square, but potent. The pantry is at the top of the stairwell leading down to the basement den. I can smell that thing anywhere down stairs, but it smells like cinnamon and peppermint so certainly not a bad smell to people.
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 1:11am
I am in a constant war with mice in the barn where we store the jeep and our camper.  Here is how effective Irish Spring bar soap has been for us. 
They eat it and then poop green!

The best method I have found is the bucket trap.  I started with the 5 gal. bucket filled 1/3 up with water then put in enough black sunflower seeds (which float) to cover the surface of the water.  Then write on the boards leading up to the top of the bucket "Stairway to Heaven". The mice then look over the edge of the bucket, exclaim "It's the mother load!" and jump right in.  You'll catch them in bunches!  When the bucket is too full of dead mice just take the bucket out to the woods and dump it.

Now there are a couple of problems with this method.  First, you can't see if you have caught any mice because they are hidden by the floating seeds so the signal is the eventual horrible smell in the barn.  Second, sunflower seeds eventually get waterlogged and sink so you are always having to add more.  Next thing you know you've spent 50 bucks on seeds to catch 15 mice.  Third, the water freezes in cold weather and the mice just jump back out (unless they are too fat from eating your expensive sunflower seeds).

My fix for these problems has been to go to the roller set up with peanut butter on it instead of sunflower seeds.  I have had better luck with rollers with a big rubber washer or 2 in the middle that the mice will try to climb over - makes it harder to balance.  Next, the water is clear so you can easily see your catches and remove them before they get ripe.  I use a dedicated(important) long handled hotdog turner.  And finally, for cold weather I use some RV antifreeze in the water to make the traps effective year round.  It is non toxic in case other animals get a drink out of the bucket.  I have 4 of these setups in the barn and have not had any more damage to the camper or jeep.  

One advantage of the sunflower seed set up is that in addition to mice it is also good for catching chipmunks.  I have never caught a chipmunk with the roller setup - they are very good at balancing! 

Happy Hunting!

-Barry

1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 6:12am
I thought you were joking about the “stairway to heaven” caption but I am not disappointed LOL
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 7:08am
Bruce is correct Mice and Rats can not barf. While we all know Cats and Dogs can as well as Owls LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 2:44pm
That roller trap set up is quite ingenious and a great solution for Jeep stored in doors!  

Unfortunately my trail Jeep lives outside under a trap step (under a massive Shingle Oak tree - source of enough food for 10,000 mice).  Baited traps don't seem that attractive to the mice.   I am doing test with the Peppermint/cinnamon oil on the radiator hair/felt presently.   Sprayed it down with the stuff.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

I use a dedicated(important) long handled hotdog turner.-Barry

That seems short sighted.  You could just use the turner to put them on the grill--------

I have constant rodent problems also.  Anything you leave parked outside becomes mouse habitat, vehicle vintage makes no difference.  Well maybe it does.  There are all sorts of additional options for menus and nesting locations in newer vehicles.  And most of those are much more difficult to deal with than what you have in a flatty.

I duct tape my mouse traps to various places and use several different mouse poisons.  But feel real fortunate if you don't have pack rats in your rodent mix-------
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 5:13pm
I had some neighbors who had several horses, and a barn where they had a big bin of corn for feed.

They moved out to another place a couple of years ago and for a while our place was overrun with huge corn fed gopher rats. One day we came home from town and my wife found something had torn a huge hole in the liner for a fish pond in her garden. I went to look and while I was examining the hole I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I saw a tail about as big around as my index finger and close to a foot long coming out from under a rock shelf under the water fall. Because of the size of that tail my first thought was a musk rat had came up from the river, but that wasn't what it was. 

I looked up under the rock and saw a huge brown gopher rat staring out at me.

I shot the rat in the eye with my pistol, dragged it out and it was every bit as big as a good sized cat.

I used every type of trap and poison they had at the hardware store, and was at war with those big rats most of the summer. Then someone else with horses bought the place next door and my rat trouble moved back over there.  

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 6:07pm
The mice in my hunting cabin are the deer mouse variety. They can carry a virus which is particularly nasty in humans.

The old buckettrap works day and night, they can't resist crunchy peanut butter so it doesn't have to be rebaited for months. All I have to do is empty th dead bodies out.

James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Terry Fairchild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Fairchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 9:50pm
Put a little pan of antifreeze somewhere under the hood, they like it!

Terry Fairchild
48 CJ 2 W/ 2300 Ranger engine
53 CJ3B
55 Pickup
62 Wagon W/258 AMC engine
67 CJ5 V-6
51 Ford F1 w/ 3.0 Ford V6
69 Jeepster Commando
72 MGB
65 Cobra replica
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 11:34pm
Set up the log roller bucket trap  with a go pro. great entertainment and you know the mouse is dead.
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 11:43pm
 That makes buying a GoPro worth it right there!!Thumbs Up
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 4:10pm
Mouse war update!  Wow - I used the Peppermint/cinnamon oil on the  grill felt/hair!  It has been about a month and No new signs of harvesting!  This stuff - (Grandpa Gus mouse repellent oil)- looks to be working.  I did reapply it the radiator felt/hair.  

I also drove the Jeep and could not find a nest in the Jeep.  Thumbs Up
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 5:36pm
I got an OLD 12ga Gopher gun think 6" barrel shotgun with a trigger at the muzzle. Critter comes along the tunnel and pushes on the trigger no more critter.

Its Very old Cast iron construction over the years I have done a bunch of internet searching to see a photo of another one but no luck.

Dad said it was one of the things grandpa brought out here in 47 when they moved out from Ill. and it was very old even then he thought it might have been used on the Family farm around 1900. I remember dad using to clear Moles from the new garden plot when I was in high school.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2020 at 5:41pm
That Grandpa Gus stuff does work. I put a pouch in the pantry and haven't seen any indication of mice in there since.

Unfortunately my wife complains that the scent is too strong and is causing her headaches> Maybe an allergic reaction? I told her she must have a mouse in the woodpile, but she didn't get the joke. 

So, I can use the stuff in my Jeep, and storage sheds, but she put the damper on using it indoors. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>