Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mouse Wars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 10:56pm
Last time I was in southern California (Marines) there was always a ton of these little ground rat-squirrels (a.k.a rodents) running around, and I mean herds of them. I don't remember their real name. But at the rate they chewed our gear if you weren't watching and left it parked too long, they'd chew through that expensive car bag in a heartbeat and be pooping it all over before you figured out what you were stepping in.

Cats are cheap and plentiful......maybe import some from south of the border like everyone else seems to be doing? You might even get government assistance money to export them to the interior U.S where they can do good work! Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 21 July 2021 at 11:21pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 1:59am
Fiesta cats?
Mike in AZ
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 11:22am
I am unsure about those bags. If they keep out water they also keep moisture in. Not something I think is good for our rust issues. Even here in the high desert, if you store steel in a sealed plastic bag with a touch of moisture, it will rust.

I have no idea where in California there is a lack of mice, but IME, they are fairly widespread, or at least they were in the 60s, 70s, & 80s. They are in the mountains, both coastal & The Sierra Nevada range, on the beach (at least in Northern California) & in the desert. IDK about LA, but SF & Sacramento have them.

I spent a fair amount of my childhood in California. I also spent a fair amount of my early adulthood there in my sojourning years. I have friends & relatives spread through out the west many in California & Oregon. They all have mice.

Also IME, they will chew through anything that is not metal or concrete. They chew through those blue plastic barrels if feed is stored in them. Yes, the plastic does slow them down, but if they want in they will get in.

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 11:29am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

I am unsure about those bags. If they keep out water they also keep moisture in. Not something I think is good for our rust issues. Even here in the high desert, if you store steel in a sealed plastic bag with a touch of moisture, it will rust.

I have no idea where in California there is a lack of mice, but IME, they are fairly widespread, or at least they were in the 60s, 70s, & 80s. They are in the mountains, both coastal & The Sierra Nevada range, on the beach (at least in Northern California) & in the desert. IDK about LA, but SF & Sacramento have them.

I spent a fair amount of my childhood in California. I also spent a fair amount of my early adulthood there in my sojourning years. I have friends & relatives spread through out the west many in California & Oregon. They all have mice.

Also IME, they will chew through anything that is not metal or concrete. They chew through those blue plastic barrels if feed is stored in them. Yes, the plastic does slow them down, but if they want in they will get in.

Yes, of course we DO actually have a few mice from time to time out here in the So Cal. burbs, but NOTHING like what is described in the initial posts.  My jeep has been in my garage for about half a decade and not a single mouse has ever munched on it.  So.... no, rats and mice really aren't a problem in the burbs.  But I am still curiouis about the bags. They would seem to isolate the entire vehicle from the mice/rats  AND with a few bags of dissicent would have a MUCH lower humidity level than most of the midwest and south on ANY given day.  Has no one tried them to winterize?  What do you have to do to protect a jeep stored say in a barn or uninsulated building from the brutal winters most of the country faces?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic