Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moved Threads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moved Threads
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 8:39pm
I am sure that almost all have seen the Spring Cleaning announcement by Russ, above, where he created a new General Discussion forum where only topics pertaining to the CJ-2A should be placed providing there is not another, more appropriate forum for them.   As Russ noted, we are busy moving topics from the old General Discussion forum, now the Off Topic forum, to wherever they best belong.

While there have been very few threads started in the new General Discussion or other forums that belong elsewhere since Russ made the changes, a small number of threads have been started in this forum that are not CJ-2A topics.  When we see those threads, we do move them.  On occasion, that has created a problem for members that recall the thread, want to find it, but do not know where it is.  I would like to offer some suggestions for dealing with this situation that do not involve posting another thread to ask where the other thread went. 

First, members should use the Search feature to locate the thread.  Make sure that you use the Advanced Search feature so that you can specify that all forums be searched.  If you use the more basic search that simply allows you to search on one or more terms, the search will be performed only in the forum where you are when you initiate the search.  Since you are most likely in the forum where the missing thread used to be, you will not locate it because it isn't in that forum any longer. 

Second, please be aware that any links to the thread that worked for the original location will link to the new location when a post or a thread is moved. These links, if you have them from a notification email or browser bookmark, are the fastest way to find the thread.

Also, we will often add a post in the moved thread to indicate why it was moved.  These added posts will also serve to move the thread to the top of the forum in which they have been placed as well as to include the post in the New Posts lists.  Of course, if you begin looking for a moved thread well after it has been moved, then the Advanced Search is your best bet for locating the thread.

Feel free to contact me or Russ if you need help finding a thread or if you strongly disagree with the placement of a thread.  I have found that there are sometimes multiple better locations for some threads so I understand that there can be differences of opinion that are not simply objections to a post having been moved.

One other point with respect to starting new topics is that at least one relevant word or phrase should be included in the subject so that searches can be more effective.  Simply saying, "Help!" or something equally generic is of no use to those who may search for the topic later. 

Finally, thank you all for being thoughtful about where you start a new thread.  As I acknowledged above, there have been very few new threads started in inappropriate forums.

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
 Post Reply Post Reply