Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Musings on batteries and winches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:21pm
I've never gotten 19 yrs out of one but have gotten 12 out of each of the others I've owned.

Come to think of it the one in 'Frankie' is ten years old this month!

Mine had a blue top and marine posts though ......maybe that's the difference.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 2:07am
I had an Optima Blue Top for about 19 years, including several times being run COMPLETELY dead.  Based on my experience I'd sure say it was a good value, even at the premium price.  I considered replacing it with another, but cash was tight at the time so I just went with a cheap starting battery.  Also all of the internet experts I read were saying that Optima quality had taken a huge downturn (although their price hadn't).  But take that for what it's worth...
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:41am
Build a small hydraulic winch system! 

There is plenty of room to mount a small hydraulic motor or power steering pump on the engine, especially if you aren't going to have power steering. 

Northern tool offers a clutched v-belt hydraulic pump. 

You could also drive a pump off the crank pulley up under the radiator, kinda like the crank starter. 

Install a small hydraulic winch behind the front bumper. Warn still makes 6k unit in the industrial line. 

MileMarker also has many choices. 

Perhaps a small tank and power steering cooler. 

The control system could be anything from an electric solenoid to a mechanical valve. Cable control valves are common also. You could have the business end in the engine compartment for short hoses, but mechanical control with a push/pull cable in the cabin space. 

As long as the engine is running you could be winching. You could drag yourself up anything pretty much. 
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 5:11am
Brennan, those are cool options, but mucho dinero.  If I’m going to spend a pile of money, I’ll just go 12 volt, but for now I’ve decided not to decide, instead I’m just going to sit tight. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:09pm
12v makes all the issues goes away. 

Even running a separate 12v alternator and battery just for the winch would be easy. I winch a lot off a small light group 51 battery with a 100 amp gm alternator. 
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:00am
I also have run a separate 12 volt battery & alternator on a 6 volt 1948 Chevy pickup. I used that system for the off road lights that I used. It worked well. I would guess that it would also work well for a winch.

As far as getting a hybrid 6/12 volt battery, It would be hard to keep all the cells in such a battery fully charged without over charging half of them. It can be done using two 6 volt batteries. But once you go to two batteries, it would be best to have one 6 volt & one 12 volt. 

I do not go places that I will have to winch a long distance. If I need a winch, I carry a couple of hand winches that I use for short pulls.
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:10am
Smfulle not to throw a wrench at you on all this but have you considered an manual winch for the few times you will need it? I have one I picked up at a farm auction rated to hoist 3000 lbs vertical. I havent used it yet but it has a hand crank on it and I modified a socket to fit my electric drill which will drive the winch, throw a snatch block and and the thing is pretty fast. I bought mine at an auction so I only paid $15 for it but you can get some small hand winches for under $100. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:20am
My personal vote is to convert the entire Jeep to 12V. The benefits significantly outweigh all other possibilities. Truthfully a 12V conversion is pretty cheap and can be completed in a Saturday of work.

-can find parts anywhere anytime (and cheaper)
-everyone can jumpstart you and vise versa
-winches are instantly compatible
-engine cranks faster
-brighter lights
-cell phone charging capability
-additional accessories like tire pumps are compatible 
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 12:36am
I would simply mount a 12V AGM deep draw battery on the PS firewall. I would not hook it to the main 6V system. It would have a 120>12V marine charger mounted and would be dedicated to the winch and as emergency starting.

This is similar to the set up I use on my boat to split the starting battery bank from the 24V trolling motor bank. However, on the boat I use a charger that charges both the 12v bank and the 24V bank.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 2:51am
another vote for 12v conversion.   Also allows you to run a high torque starter which i like to use to start in gear when i stall on a tough obstacle...save the clutch
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:50am
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

another vote for 12v conversion.   Also allows you to run a high torque starter which i like to use to start in gear when i stall on a tough obstacle...save the clutch

My 6 volt starter will start me in low gear going uphill on an obstacle.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 2:15am
2 6v batteries. Series/parallel switch. Keep your 6v system and have 12v avail. Wiring no big deal.
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:47am
Originally posted by Rich M. Rich M. wrote:

2 6v batteries. Series/parallel switch. Keep your 6v system and have 12v avail. Wiring no big deal.

FTW! Great idea. 
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Rich M. Rich M. wrote:

Also a good idea.

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123