Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1944 Willys MB 390908

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 9:57am
Heading out to the garage this morning to finish the front brakes along with many other items on my list.  
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by dluber dluber wrote:

I made some progress this weekend.    Lots more work ahead.
I guess the virus is hitting pretty hard in some places back east where you're at.
Great that you have a project to keep you busy during this time of social distancing, isolation, self quarantine, whatever. You might be done and ready for the FCT by the time this is over! Keep us posted!
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 4:31pm
Time for some lunch and a quick update.  My dog Champ (six months old today) joined me in the garage this morning as I finished up the front brakes.  I'm also going to try and save the tank - it's been patched up a lot over the years and it has some rust inside.  I'm going to try electrolysis first to see how much rust I can remove. 

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 8:15pm
Nice work on the jeep and cute dog. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 8:32pm
Dluber what kind of pooch do have there? A fine looking animal. We have a very similar looking dog and have wondered what breeds he may be.

1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 11:42pm
Champ is an Airedale Terrier and this is our second Airedale.  He spends about 2 hours out in the garage with me but after that amount of time, he is ready to get outside or in the house.  Sometimes I'm out as early as 4am and he will hang out until he gets hungry - about 6am. 

I spent the rest of the afternoon prepping the engine for install to include getting it ready for some paint - OD green.  I will paint the engine and some of the accessories tomorrow.  I also installed a new throw-out bearing as the old one was shot.  I will likely start the back brakes tomorrow as well.  

Champ started early hanging out in the garage....

Edited by dluber - 18 Mar. 2020 at 11:46pm
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 11:54pm
Great looking pooch.  What about pilot bearing?
Mike in AZ
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2020 at 12:27am
Yes, I forgot to mention the pilot bearing.  I installed that a couple of days ago.  The ring gear looked good on the flywheel so no need to replace that part. The old pilot bearing was so loose, I pushed it out of the flywheel with my thumb.  I think it must have been spinning at some point.

Edited by dluber - 19 Mar. 2020 at 12:29am
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2020 at 4:30pm
Working on the back brakes today - everything is torn down; axle shafts and drums off, back plates removed.  I need to pickup some new nuts and bolts for reassembly.  Lots of cleaning to do before it goes back together.  Also installed the long brake line from the mater cylinder to the back of the jeep along with the longer brake hose.  More to follow.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2020 at 12:01am
More brake work tomorrow.  The back plates are cleaned and the paint is drying.  The should go back together easier with the new hardware.  This MB has been sitting for 25 years so it not surprising that some a lot of the nuts and bolts are seized. 
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2020 at 1:39am
I have a kitty pool I use for electrolysis, I dunked a ton of engine parts on my old CJ5, backing plates, bumpers, all kinds of stuff. Maybe you could do that for your tank and do the entire thing at once.
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2020 at 10:02am
Heading out to finish the back brakes.  Engine might go in today, but I need to install the flywheel and clutch / clutch plate first.  
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2020 at 10:32am
How did the fuel tank tun out after electrolysis? .. or are you still at it.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2020 at 11:44am
If tank comes out somewhat ok I have used KBS fuel tank sealer on a couple projects, it  works really good. 
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 12:08am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

How did the fuel tank tun out after electrolysis? .. or are you still at it.

Jeff,
   I'm still at it.  I had to prioritize some other jobs in front of finishing the tank.  I had a friend over today and we installed the engine.  I plan on getting back to the tank in tomorrow morning.  I ran the electrolysis for 24 hours so I'm hoping that will be enough.

Thanks,
Dave
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 12:08am
Originally posted by oldmansimek oldmansimek wrote:

If tank comes out somewhat ok I have used KBS fuel tank sealer on a couple projects, it  works really good. 

Great idea.  I will look into that.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 12:20am
Here are a few pics from today.  I started the morning finishing up the back brake - still need to run the new lines on the back axle.  I also removed the rear diff cover and I have some work to do cleaning and checking the rear.  Lastly, the engine is in and I have some clean up to do in the garage tomorrow morning.  I still need to installed the starter, distributor, and other accessories.  While I was under the jeep today I noticed the front drive shaft needs some work too.  Very loose at the U-joint and the yoke.  I will need to remove the shaft to inspect it further. 

Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 1:23am
Very nice work you're doing. You have a great companion there to keep you on track.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>