Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1944 Willys MB 390908

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 10:08am
Out in the garage early this morning - 0530. Starter is installed and working on some of the wiring and alternator next.  Lots to do this morning.  
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 11:01am
Question: do your windshield hooks and hood hooks have flat sides to the tube part next to the hood? MB's and GPW's when new supposedly did. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

How did the fuel tank tun out after electrolysis? .. or are you still at it.

Jeff,

I emptied the tank this afternoon and some of the rust was removed, but it still needs some work.  In my first attempt I ran the charger at 6v.  I have it setup again to run at 12v.  The charger is measuring about 2amps which I believe is correct.  Hopefully the results will improve. 

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by IRQVET IRQVET wrote:

I have a kitty pool I use for electrolysis, I dunked a ton of engine parts on my old CJ5, backing plates, bumpers, all kinds of stuff. Maybe you could do that for your tank and do the entire thing at once.

That's a good idea too.  thanks!
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2020 at 9:08pm
I only worked about 8 hours in the garage today. Starter, alternator, distributor, wires, coil, plugs, thermostat and housing, battery cables, oil bath air cleaner, and oil filter/housing all installed. Also hooked up all the oil hoses. More work to do tomorrow. 
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2020 at 8:15pm
Made some progress today.  Installed the gas pedal linkage, carb, fuel line. I'm still working on the fuel tank.  Without the coil connected, I turned the engine over a couple of times and I'm getting 20lbs of oil pressure just cranking the engine a bit.  I primed the pump before I turned over the engine.  I'm chasing some wiring issues now.  No spark at the plugs.  I think there is an issue with the ignition switch / wiring.  Researching that now.  This MB has a lever switch and a foot starter switch.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 7:14pm
Working in the garage today - installed new points and condenser and that fixed my spark issue.  With some help from a very knowledgeable friend, started the rebuild on the rear of the jeep.  It turns out this MB haa a GPW Dana 23 rear.  Previous owner did not set the rear up correctly and also ground the front of the pinion gear to fit properly.  As it turns out, the inner pinion bearing was not set correctly.  Also there is some damage to the pinion gear.  I posted a question in the Tech section looking for a good source to replace the ring an pinion set (4.88) (ring is actually in good shape).  Here is a picture of the pinion- you can see there is a .062" gap between the inner bearing and the front of the pinion. I have new bearings sets, seals, and a few other parts on order. 

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 8:09pm
Check with Brent Mullins in College Station. He might have them, though I noticed his listing on eBay said he was out. There's also one on now from a vendor in Turkey. 
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 8:18pm
I will check with College Station.  I forgot to mention that I checked the front diff and everything looks in good order for that.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2020 at 9:58am
Getting an early start today and I hope to get a bunch of smaller jobs done today.  To start, I have a new temp gauge to install as the old on was broken off inside the head.  Hopefully I will get the radiator, upper and lower hoses installed along with coolant or at least a water test to check out the system for leaks.  
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 10:58am
Here are a few pictures from the last couple of days. 

I was able to get the rear axle housing cleaned out - mostly surface rust and it's now ready for a new ring and pinion set.  Also have new bearings and seals on there way.  If anyone has a good reference to start for a pinion setup for a Willy MB, I would be open to references to help prepare for that install.  Also working the front axle.  When I pulled the front diff cover, there was plenty of fluid, but it did not smell like gear oil.  It was all black and smelled more like a mix of grease and oil.  The ring and pinion look good with some wear.  Date on the ring gear is 11-4-1944 so it might be original as this data plate has 11-21-44 stamped.  I also found that I have a bendix short shaft and a Rzeppa long shaft.  There seems to be a lot of grease inside the axle shaft on the long side and I suspect some of that made it down into the pumpkin. I have some new inner seals coming in this week so I can replace the old, worn out seals. 

Here are some pics and always open to comments or suggestions.

Front shafts: 

Front axle after I removed most of the thick gunk - at least the gunk protected everything from rusting!

Rear axle housing - still have some fine cleaning to finish.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 11:09am
One item that I'm not making progress on is the tank that came with this MB.  I tried several methods of getting the rust out and I've only manged to remove about 1/3 of the rust - estimate.  I'm going to try muriatic acid at about 25% strength and see if that works.  Overall this tank is in really poor shape with multiple repairs and I found some cracks on the top that also need to be fixed.  If the acid does not work, I may have to purchase a new or used tank.  If anyone has a good large mouth MB tank they want to part with, please send me a pm. 

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 6:35pm
When I got her, I had a rusty tank in my 2A. She sat for 20+ years. I thought I would need to replace it. Surprisingly, I found the purple Zep's Degreaser sold by Home Depot was good for getting out rust. It is very caustic. I then moved to vinegar and muriatic. I got about 80% of the rust out but, after using the acid, you have to be careful of flash rusting of the clean metal. After flushing out the acid, don't let it dry. Immediately bath in phosphoric acid. This will stop the flash rusting. HD sells it in the paint department. After this, I still had some junk in it. I made sure I had a good filter and used the tank. After two years, I barely get any flakes and the tank looks clean inside. Saved me from buying one. Those MB/GPW tanks are expensive.

Some people like the electrolysis method. I recently tried it on a driver side heater and got crappy results.

Nice Jeep.

Micah 
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 8:45pm
Micah, 

Thanks for the tip and you are correct, the MB tanks are expensive.  I would really like to save this old tank so I'm willing to give the chemicals a try.

Thanks,
Dave
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 9:01pm
Today I finished cleaning out the front axle housing and I installed the radiator and new temperature gauge. I primed the fuel pump and setup a temporary fuel source and started the engine for the first time.  Sounds pretty good but I have a few kinks to work out. I ran the engine for about 20 minutes to let it get to full temperature and to make sure the oil pressure and coolant exchange was good.  Oil pressure is about 20 at idle and 40+ at about 2500 rpms.  I just have water in the system now to test all the seals, but everything is looking good so far.  I still need to fine tune timing and carb a bit (points are set as well as the valves) One item that will need attention, the Delco 10si alternator that came with the jeep sounds like it has a bad bearing - will likely need a rebuild.  Also sourced the 4.88 ring and pinion set I needed for the rear rebuild - NOS Spicer.  More to follow.

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 9:51pm
Check out POR-15, Eastwood or Bill Hirsh for their kits which include chemicals to clean inside of tank, then neutralize and line the tank to seal it. Probably other kits out there, too.
Mike in AZ
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Check out POR-15, Eastwood or Bill Hirsh for their kits which include chemicals to clean inside of tank, then neutralize and line the tank to seal it. Probably other kits out there, too.

Will do - thanks for the tip.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2020 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

When I got her, I had a rusty tank in my 2A. She sat for 20+ years. I thought I would need to replace it. Surprisingly, I found the purple Zep's Degreaser sold by Home Depot was good for getting out rust. It is very caustic. I then moved to vinegar and muriatic. I got about 80% of the rust out but, after using the acid, you have to be careful of flash rusting of the clean metal. After flushing out the acid, don't let it dry. Immediately bath in phosphoric acid. This will stop the flash rusting. HD sells it in the paint department. After this, I still had some junk in it. I made sure I had a good filter and used the tank. After two years, I barely get any flakes and the tank looks clean inside. Saved me from buying one. Those MB/GPW tanks are expensive.

Some people like the electrolysis method. I recently tried it on a driver side heater and got crappy results.

Nice Jeep.

Micah 

Micah, How long did you allow the  acid to work.  I was thinking 24hrs, but not sure.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>