Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1944 Willys MB 390908

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2020 at 11:21am
"I can still see the rust inside"

I found you can see the inside of the tank even better if you drop a flashlight down in it!🤪 ( not recommended )
Rick Estes
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2020 at 3:10pm
There seems to be some progress on the tank, but it still needs more time. 
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 10:17am
Yesterday I got a few things done on the jeep but I spent some time cleaning up and making some simple improvements in the garage.  As for the jeep, I installed a new Delco 10si alternator that I picked up at a local auto parts store - $31.00 after the core trade in.  I don't want to put a lot of money into the 12v electrical system because I may change this back over to 6v for historical purposes.  I've been reading up on the differences in generators and voltage regulators and my understanding is that the Willys MBs used a "B" circuit generator and voltage regulator.  I don't have either of those at this time.  I think I have an old 6v voltage regulator that came with my CJ2A project, but I know it's not the correct part for the MB.  I also tested out the new water pump gasket - all good.  Got the engine up to temp and let for about 20 minutes.  I had also put a better crank pulley on the engine the other day as the other was not in the best shape.  It's nice to have a few spare parts around.  I will check the gas tank once we get some sunlight here this morning.  Not a lot planned for today.  The next big job is to get the ring and pinion installed in the rear - that might happen next weekend.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2020 at 10:30am
Back to work this week so I will have limited time in the garage to work until this coming weekend.  Last night I neutralized the acid mixture in the tank with baking soda and rinsed out the tank.  Rust is 95% gone but I think there are some small, slow leaks in the tank.  Not sure if the acid mixture impacted some of the previous patchwork (some brazed, some epoxied) but I will need to address the leaks if I want to use this tank.  I also swirled some mineral spirits in the tank to keep from flash rusting - hopefully that works.  More to follow in the tank.  Ring and pinion arrived yesterday too - that will be the main project for this coming weekend.  Open to any pointers anyone has to installing this kit.   
Sithinstructor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sithinstructor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2020 at 4:21am
Was about to add some gas to mine yesterday and peeked in with a flashlight... oh boy 10 gallons of very very rusty gas. Great. I have some acid... was thinking about using Red Kote after that. Which sealer you plan to use?

And what does one do with 10 gallons of rusty gas?

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2020 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Sithinstructor Sithinstructor wrote:

Filter out the rust and use the gas in your lawn mower, perhaps?  Well, if your lawn mower is an old raggedy one like mine, that is...  LOL  My lawn mower is so old it doesn't have the safety release handle that shuts off the ignition if you let it go.  Lawn mowers have had those for several decades now.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 08 Apr. 2020 at 4:53am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Sithinstructor Sithinstructor wrote:

Was about to add some gas to mine yesterday and peeked in with a flashlight... oh boy 10 gallons of very very rusty gas. Great. I have some acid... was thinking about using Red Kote after that. Which sealer you plan to use?

I've ordered an 8 oz can of the POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer and I will give that a try and post results.  Hopefully 8 oz is enough to coat the inside of this tank.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 10:46am
Working the rebuild of the MB rear over the past couple of days and my friend and I have been getting some inconsistent results.  There will be some more measurements today, but there seems to be as much as .050 run out on the ring gear.  We ran out of time last night, but today we are going to test the carrier without the ring gear installed to see if the carrier is damaged. The ring and pinion are NOS Dana 4.88, matching. We also took run out measurements outside the diff housing on a jig and got the same results. If the carrier is bad, I may be in search of a good carrier (A-793) which has a casting number of 16384 or GP 4206 on the top of the carrier.

In addition to the work on the Dana-23-2, I was able to install a new universal bracket for the alternator, a correct pulley, and belt. This gets the charging system all set and allowed for the correct alignment of belt and pulleys - it was about an inch off based on the original setup from the previous owner. 

I also re-installed the front axle shafts and put some new grease in the steering knuckles - I used the John Deer Corn Head grease.  I just need to put the front diff cover on with the new gasket and fill is with some new gear oil. 

Should be a good day today.  

Edited by dluber - 12 Apr. 2020 at 11:09am
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 10:48am
Universal generator to alternator bracket I used.  Also, new pulley on the alternator. 

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2020 at 12:08pm
It's been a few days since I posted status on this jeep.  There has been a considerable amount of time put into rebuilding the rear axle and it's as good as I can get it for now and much better then what I had before.  Yesterday I got the axle reinstalled on the jeep, installed new rear shock, reinstalled the backing plates, drums etc. and finally added my new rear brake lines.  Also installed the rear driveshaft that I rebuilt a couple of weeks ago.  My goal this morning to to pull the yoke on the front axle and replace the rear seal - that will finish the front axle work and both axles will be ready for gear oil.  
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2020 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by dluber dluber wrote:

It's been a few days since I posted status on this jeep.  There has been a considerable amount of time put into rebuilding the rear axle and it's as good as I can get it for now and much better then what I had before.  Yesterday I got the axle reinstalled on the jeep, installed new rear shock, reinstalled the backing plates, drums etc. and finally added my new rear brake lines.  Also installed the rear driveshaft that I rebuilt a couple of weeks ago.  My goal this morning to to pull the yoke on the front axle and replace the rear seal - that will finish the front axle work and both axles will be ready for gear oil.  

What did you find on the R&P?  Was the carrier bad or was it the gears?
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2020 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Anvil Anvil wrote:

What did you find on the R&P?  Was the carrier bad or was it the gears?

All data points towards a ring gear that's slightly out of spec.  With that said, I have the option to revisit this at a later date with a different axle housing and carrier.  For now, I happy with what I have and for how I plan on using this jeep, it may be permanent.  
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2020 at 8:25pm
I was able to get a few thing done today.  First, I tackled the front axle pinion seal.  That went well and it helped to have my Bleepin Jeep yoke tool.  https:////www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8rvBVK3VAg

I purchased this tool last week to work on my 2012 Jeep JK 2DR Wrangler as I needed to replace both the front and rear driveshafts - lifted jeeps and stock driveshafts do not mix well together. 

Anyway, I thought I would try it today on the '44 MB and it worked great.  I also used the tool along with my steering wheel puller to fashion a simple yoke puller (I did this for the 2012 Jeep too).  This allows for an easy removal of the yoke with very little effort.  Here are a few pictures:

Yoke tool:

Yoke tool installed on the yoke and using a 3/4" black pipe as an extra set of hands.

Yoke tool with puller installed:

Yoke removed:

This tool is also great when you are putting the yoke back on and torquing to spec. 

Edited by dluber - 17 Apr. 2020 at 8:27pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2020 at 8:36pm
I also installed new shocks on the rear and front of the jeep today - no pictures, but I can say the old shock were totally flat. 

Here are a couple more pics of the old seal and the new seal installed.  Champ also hung out with me for the first half of the day in the garage.

Old pinion seal - this took a little time to get out. 

New pinion seal installed - National brand.

Champ hanging out under the jeep - I wish he would learn how to get me the tools I need.

Champ

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2020 at 8:16pm
Working on the small stuff today.  Painting the gas tank and cap, getting gear oil in the diffs, and fresh GL1 in the transfer case.  Also patching up the sump - I may replace the sump in the future.  
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 2:42pm
Fuel tank installed, fuel line, and bleed the brakes yesterday.  Getting ready to pull the trans and transfer case to figure out a clutch issue.  This will take me a couple of hours solo.  My tech question reference:

Edited by dluber - 27 Apr. 2020 at 2:44pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 3:54pm

This tool is also great when you are putting the yoke back on and torquing to spec.  

i thought the official pinion nut torque spec was 3 or 4 bbrrraapptttt's with the impact gun? 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2020 at 6:10am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

i thought the official pinion nut torque spec was 3 or 4 bbrrraapptttt's with the impact gun? 

LOL  LOL  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>