Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1946 CJ2a project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 1946 CJ2a project
    Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 12:40pm
Hello.  Long-time lurker, first time poster here.
I thought this would be a great place to document my new project.  I picked up 1946 CJ2a #72652 on August 22, 2021.
Well I picked up pieces of it anyway!  Most of the jeep was scattered around the barn and yard of the previous owner.  It was all gathered up and piled onto my truck and trailer along with an extra rusted out body from a '47.
I've been working steadily on it now for about 6 weeks, so I'll have lots to record and update here as I get caught up to the present.  For now I'll start with some pics of how it looked when I bought it.

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 1:06pm
Looks like a fun project!  Keep us updated on it please!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 1:10pm
I wish I knew more about the vehicle's history.  Here is what I was told by the previous owner (whom I'll call Roy):

The story I was told:  Some "old boy" had owned the Jeep and hired Roy to work on it some years ago (20-30?). Roy says he rebuilt the engine, replaced all the brake components, and cleaned and painted the frame.  Maybe more?  But the guy didn't return to pay for it.  Roy said he would see him around from time to time, but the guy never had the money.  Finally, after an unclear amount of time had passed (decades?), he told Roy to just keep the Jeep and call it even.
Apparently, it sat in Roy's shop/barn the whole time.  (at least the chassis)  His grandson posted it for sale after finding it buried in the back of "PawPaw's" barn.  By this time, the body pieces were outside and grown over with weeds.

According to the license plate, the Jeep was last registered in 1989.  The photos above make it clear that the body was not well preserved, but my inspection of the chassis made me think the story of rebuilt engine, brakes, etc... was plausible. The frame is in exceptionally good shape and completely rust free.  The engine turned freely and held good looking oil and all 4 tires actually held air!  After considerable negotiation on the price, I agreed to buy it and drag it from Kentucky to my home in Ohio.

Once I got it home I got busy pressure washing everything and taking inventory of what I had and what was missing.  Some of the missing parts are significant  - most notable are: seats, air cleaner assembly, and oil filter assembly.  (still looking for these if anyone has spares)
I didn't think I was getting a fuel tank or a tailgate, but fortunately the PO found them both on the day I picked it up.  The tailgate is my favorite thing ever.  I love the look of the paint layering.  The fuel cap is equally cool.  I will not be repainting these!

JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 2:23pm
I set all the body pieces aside and focused on getting the chassis & driveline running and mechanically sound first.
I set to work changing all the fluids (most of which contained a fair amount of water), rebuilding the carburetor, installing new spark plugs and wires, and rigging up temporary electrical and fuel systems.  Within about a week I was ready to crank the engine....
and IT FIRED RIGHT UP!  Man, I was so relieved when it came to life and sounded great!  My garage was immediately filled with giant globs of mouse nest that blew out of the exhaust, but I could not have been more pleased.  That was a huge win.
The second win was confirming that all the brakes worked perfectly - after replacing the front rubber hoses which were completely swelled shut).
Win number 3 was strapping an old kitchen chair to the frame and driving it around my yard!  

JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 2:33pm
Quick video clip of the first start.

JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 2:54pm
and here it is cruising around the back yard.  :D

JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 3:29pm
Obviously, there was a lot more work to do, and my list keeps growing.  By the end of September, "Phase 1 - Chassis" was more or less complete.  Here is a pic of the list I have posted in my garage:

(I can't seem to figure out how to get pics rotated the correct way when posted.  Any help would be appreciated.)
JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 3:42pm
Next up is "Phase 2 - Body"
I should mention that I have no intention of doing a full restoration on this Jeep.  My priorities are to have a fully functional, mechanically sound, FUN flat fender Willy's Jeep.  I actually really like the beat up, well worn, faded, dented, crusty, rusty "patina" look.  So while I will be replacing body parts, chasing rust, and protecting the metal - I do not plan to paint it.  It is going to be "ugly".

Also, before I bought this pile of Jeep parts I did not own a welder.  In fact I had never so much as sparked an arc in my life.  But there is a lot of welding needed and I like doing things myself, so I bought a used welder and all of the equipment that goes along with it.  I always say you are only a youtube video away from being able to do anything, so after extensive "training" I am now a "youtube expert" welder.  lol!  

On to the body work...
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 8:23pm
That's looking good. Clap

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.
JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 9:48am
I started with the fenders.  I ended up with 5 fenders to choose from after buying a bunch of spare parts from another forum member - Jeeper71 - who happens to live close to me.  Unfortunately all 5 were rotted out under the support brackets, so I had to cut those out, patch and replace with new support brackets -  which I also got from Jeeper71.  Thanks again!

Finally, I painted the inside and underside of the fenders with 2 coats of POR15.  Fenders done.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 10:05am
high-larious! please keep posting. it makes a grumpy man smile. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 12:54pm
Next, the hood and grill got the same treatment.  These needed less metal repair, but neither has any paint to speak of.  Just a lot of grinding/sanding/scrubbing followed by POR15 on the undersides and boiled linseed oil on the outsides.

Once put in place, this thing is starting to look like a Jeep!!!

JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 1:06pm
Can't avoid it anymore... I have to move on to fixing the tub.  As you can see, this thing needs a LOT of work.
(bonus content: my 1984 CJ-7 in the background hogging my wife's parking spot) 

To deal with this, I got a delivery from Classic Enterprises:  floor pans, hat channels, floor riser, and side steps.  Time to really put my youtube welder training to the test!  lol

JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 1:13pm
Meanwhile, I scored some seats from fb marketplace.  This driver seat should work once reupholstered and cleaned up.  I don't know about this rear seat - doesn't look like any CJ2A seat I've seen before - anybody recognize it?  What would this have come out of originally?  I think I can make it work though.
I'm STILL LOOKING FOR A PASSENGER SEAT!  If anyone has one within reasonable driving distance of central Ohio please message me!

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 5:04pm
Part of a 60/40 truck or wagon seat.....possibly Jeepster.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 11:37pm
Ah, good call.   I think you're right, it's the 60 side of a 60/40 bench seat. Thanks

Edited by JeepJedi - 12 Oct. 2021 at 8:01am
JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2021 at 3:16pm
Progress is being made.  The floor pans are in.  The hardest part was building much of the transmission hump from scratch and a lot of patchwork on the toolbox.
The original plan was just to patch up the floor and put it all back together -  but now that I've come this far I can't do that.  I'm now chasing down rust and patching sheet metal as needed.  Over the last 2 days I have completed patching up the passenger side.

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2021 at 7:30pm
looking good!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>