Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1946 CJ2a project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2021 at 9:23pm
Yes, project creep is real. 

As long as you're in there....
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 3:45pm
I've gotten behind on posting updates, but I have been working away on this build.  Time to do some catch up here...

I finally finished patching the tub back together.  That was a lot of work!  I replaced the floor pans, riser, tailgate surround, and hat channels with parts from Classic Enterprises.  Very impressed with their quality.  I also hand-formed a large section of the bed area and made many other patch panels everywhere I found rust-through.  This was a great learning experience for me.  Having never welded before, it was a big challenge, but now I have the experience and confidence to take on more welding projects.  lol!
Once that was done I sealed up the bottom side of the tub with a couple coats of POR15 before fitting the body onto the frame for the last time.  That's when I finally had a (mostly) assembled flat fender Jeep for the first time.  Dang, these things are cool!

JeepJedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepJedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2022 at 3:54pm
Since then I have focused more on things under the hood.  I was able to source oil filter and air cleaner assemblies as well as a passenger seat.  Lots of cleaning, repairing, assembling and painting individual parts.  I also purchased and installed temperature, ampere, and oil pressure gauges, but haven't picked up a speedometer or fuel gauge yet.  None of the gauges that came with my 2 donor vehicles were in useable condition.
When I was finally able to drive around a little bit, I discovered the transmission was leaking gear lube at an alarming rate!  I'm talking steady stream - not just a drip!  lol  So now I have the transmission and transfer case on my work bench.  Almost ready to reinstall after cleaning, painting, and replacing seals and bearings.
I've also purchased all new exhaust system that needs to be installed next.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12