Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1946 (?) CJ-2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2009 at 2:00pm
Oh good grief!  Doing some more looking around I have not only found a third style of serial number plate, but I have found the typical mixing of styles that Willys Overland is famous for.  The style that is new to me uses a line type art-deco font style.  Here's a pic -

Compare that to the original style of serial plate used from CJ-2a #10000 onward, and the same as mine -

And number 109772 as shown here -

All three are very different.  I'm sure this has been discussed before, I just fail at research I guess.

Anyway, I have found pics of the same style that I have at serial number 131116.  Here's a pic of that -

So I'm finding no discernible continuity in data plate styles. 

Any thoughts?  I mean besides "Why is this guy hijacking the thread!"  Big smile

Play by FoxSaver®

Edited by Cammer - 15 Sep. 2009 at 2:03pm

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2009 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Cammer Cammer wrote:

So I'm finding no discernible continuity in data plate styles. 

In my opinion (and because I'm one that thinks Willys did things in a most haphazard, inconsistant way....contrary to popular opinion here).......I think your statement here sums it up best.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2009 at 3:37pm
Jerry:
Quote ... His plates are around 80000 units apart!  That was what led to my original thought about the serial plates being swapped around ...
I agree, something has been swapped around.  The difference should only be @ 10000 (equivalent to the ACM number difference).  Note the "body" tag has phillips screws, so that at least has been R&R'd.

A rough graphic of the number changes here: serial number question

Quote The serial number plate is a different style than mine.  There are two styles that I am aware of and I have always thought that the switch over to the second style occurred somewhere around serial number 150XXX.  Looking at his serial plate it looks like it may have occurred somewhere between 108844 and 109772.  I've been doing some looking around and can't find a source for better info on that.

Any more thoughts on this?
The question came up a long time ago, when it appeared there were at least 3 styles on S/N plate.  I was going to start a data collection effort, like the dash plates, but then nobody ever sent me photos & info, so it was forgotten.  Wanna be the first to contribute?  I'll crank it up again.

IIRC, early plates had 3 patent numbers, then came 4 patent numbers, last one had 5 patent numbers.

Sean

Edited by sean - 15 Sep. 2009 at 4:51pm
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2009 at 5:04pm
Quote  If the serial number on the patent plate is 109772
I just realized that the owner has not stated the S/N.

I believe it is 199772, in which case, the body # is right on.

Sean
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2009 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

[QUOTe] 

And so is Low........my humblest apologies, as I also was reading it 109772.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2009 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Quote  If the serial number on the patent plate is 109772
I just realized that the owner has not stated the S/N.

Sean

That would make more sense.  These data tags are so hard to read sometimes.  He did tell me via email that it was 109772.  Based on that plus the appearance of a zero I didn't think to question it, but it is corroded so badly he could have misread it.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

dodge42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodge42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2009 at 9:53pm
Normandy Blue is a nice-looking color. The '46 I'm restoring now was also blue, but had been painted dark green over the years. I only realized it was blue when I scraped away dirt underneath the body, and really looked under the dash. It's almost identical to the color of my '99 Chevy Blazer.
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2009 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by dodge42 dodge42 wrote:

Normandy Blue is a nice-looking color. The '46 I'm restoring now was also blue, but had been painted dark green over the years. I only realized it was blue when I scraped away dirt underneath the body, and really looked under the dash. It's almost identical to the color of my '99 Chevy Blazer.

I've always liked Normandy Blue also.  Seems like we aren't alone in that since about 80% of the old jeeps that I've owned started out as that color.  Had a couple that were Luzon Red also.

My current jeep was originally Normandy Blue, but my wife likes Rustoleum Sunset Red so that's where it will stay.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

munkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2009 at 3:27am
What kind of carb is on the motor ? It looks like a modern carb with a banjo fitting fuel line, might be a interesting swap .
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2009 at 3:45am
That's a Solex carburetor.   The air horn clamp is custom!  Tongue
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 2:30am
Dumb question , I'm sure, but are reproduction data plates available?
2010 2 door jk,
46 Willys aka "Big Bird".
Dave
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:16am
dataplates4u.com 
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12