Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 1947 Willys Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2009 at 10:21pm
PO used them for a snowplow... they are history next time I get to play
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2009 at 11:38pm

Hello,

Went out tonight after work and got more pics and information. Top of Head Cast # 800376. Side of block  804 380-W-11-D-P5. I was able to get the number stamped in front of head ‘RMC117270’.   Rubbed toe gusset… more red paint.... not sure if I see anything. (Thing is, I use a wheelchair, so I can’t get to it easily, and it’s tough to get my wife to take pictures and  rub brake cleaner on a dirty jeep gusset after she has been working all day ;-)  Anyway, I think I see something there...’29’ but it reads parallel to the ground, not perpendicular as I expected.
Jim

Here are more pics..

Edited by BOWJA01 - 26 Mar. 2011 at 1:12am
Jim
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2009 at 12:23am
I think your engine number indicates a rebuilt M38 engine (Mike, help me out on this one, out of my league with this.LOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2009 at 7:55pm

Thank you Gale.

So it seems like I have a bit of mixed bag here. Not surprising I guess. My buddy who found it told me the jeep was basically out in the open, in pieces, off the frame,  and that the engine was in a separate box.  He got it from a local guy who collected old jeeps, mostly all military. The reason the guy parted with it was because he was moving and it was not military. Do you know if the m38 engine was used strictly in later post WII military vehicles or commonly installed as replacement engines in the 2A? The one thing I’m happy about is finding the same red paint on the toe gusset, tailgate, wind shield and under the hood; seems likely they all go together.  I’m wondering about the grill though; looked at a lot of photos on the site, and I’ve not seen one, if any, with this additional ‘bumper’ type part under both front lower lights.  Is this common on the 2a? (it also has 2 hood hold down brackets, along with corresponding holes in the fenders, on each side)

Jim

BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2009 at 12:44am

My buddy just called me and gave me the numbers off the starter,(he was trying to rescue it) . It’s an Autolite  MZ-4163 3E and it has 9 teeth. It was not attached to the block when he got it.. it was in the box of engine parts. .. lol  anyway, is this a standard 2a starter or is it a starter that would match the m38 block and head  that I have?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions...

thanks, Jim
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2009 at 10:45pm
10 tooth is standard 2-A
9 tooth are from a later jeep.
You need to know the number of teeth on the flywheel and mate it with the correct starter.
I believe the 9 tooth starter takes a 124 tooth flywheel. 
Shawn
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 1:47am
finally started the cleanup on this...
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 2:01am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 2:12am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 1:51pm
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 2:47am
That is one clean old jeep, keep up the good workTongue
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 1:18pm
Thank you. I'm going to clean up everything and start repainting. I'll be fixing and replacing missing parts as I go. Seems like I have a M38  military engine and rad, but I'm going to redo its as a 48 2a with luzon red body over beige wheels as the body has this color under all the layers.

This is the first jeep I've redone, so I have tons of questions, mostly simple stuff.
jim 
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 12:17am
Jim
I would not worry too much about the m38 engine, it still is a "period correct one"
I have not bought one yet that had the original engine.
Rebuild it and enjoy it.
Shawn
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 3:53pm
Thanks Shawn,
I was a little bummed that the engine didnt match, but its ok, as you say its a 'period correct one'. Plus, its kind cool that its a rebuilt military engine from Letterkenny PA. I'm going to keep the plate on it, who knows maybe I'll do a m38 one day and I'll swap it.
Up side is that body is in good shape and engine is sound. May need a little trans work, supposedly it pops out of 2nd sometime... we'll see.
Fun stuff...
Jim

Jim
Scrappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 3:53pm
Hey man. You have an early factory replacement M38 engine (1951). The "R" stands for replacement not rebuild. If you want to find the correct CJ engine for your Jeep, the RMC engine is worth more so you could sell it and replace it with a correct CJ engine with no problem. My buddy has a 48 CJ2A with all kinds of MB, GPW, and M38 (MC engine) parts on it including a slat grill steering wheel. Personally, I think it's a cool mix of parts.
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:51pm
Just updating the project update about current issues;
1. spare tire carrier - found out its missing hat channel brace, etc http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/spare-tire-carrier_topic15820.html 
3. horn wiring question and steering box repair; looks like the steering box needs to be redone -  http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/horn-steering-box-questions_topic15786.html 
4. looks like carb is missing some linkage parts... lol; I'll be posting some questions about that...

I recieved new wire harness and associated cables and stuff  from Walcks... nice stuff.
I recieved new rad hoses and clamps, i went with the rubber and steel tubes cause I like the look)  from Walcks... nice stuff.
Got a new 6v battery and tie down.
I'm still waiting to receive my new starter(I got a new ring gear)  and generator from rebuilder since genenerator was missing and starter was toast.

I've decided to yank the motor and sandblast the frame and all the body parts... got a line on a good guy to do it.

Looking at different tire types..  NDT or NDCC in 6.00 x16 or 7.00 x16 ... I like the 7.00 x16 NDT... we'll see.

Got new repro fan, air crossover tube and oil filter bracket,, debating on repainting them... they are all black already... so we'll see.

Me and the UPS guy are on a first name basis now.
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 7:50pm

Pulled the carb to start cleaning, its missing the choke linkage... I need to hunt this stuff down if available..

Edited by BOWJA01 - 26 Mar. 2011 at 1:14am
Jim
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2010 at 2:44pm
Been awhile since my last update .. but I've been making some progress. Pulled the engine/trans and I'm going to sandblast and prime  (Rustoleum rusty metal brown) prime the frame and wheels this coming weekend. My buddy came over and he burned off and cleaned up the snowplow brackets that were added by PO to the front cross member.  
Also replaced the old repaired/modified front engine plate with a original 2a plate and new gaskets and seal. Stripped off the old red paint from the block. Cleaned up oil pan and put in new pan gasket. Looking around inside, engine looks great, nice and tight. Pulled the manifold and studs, only broke 2 studs.. need to drill and helicoil these. Debating on Engine block primer and paint. I'm thinking about using the Rustoleum rusty metal brown primer and finish coat with the Rustoleum high temp engine paint in black. ... not sure if this primer is the way to go on the block because of engine temp...worked great on my 8n...
Here is a pic of the old snowplow brackets...
Here is the frame minus the old snowplow brackets...

Here are some pics of the block with the new front plate...

Over past several weeks hunted down replacement parts. Rear engine plate with engine stay cable bracket. Correct replacement steering draglink. Original relpacement side mount spare tire carrier and interior support brace.   

Also got back rebuilt 6v generator and starter, they look great. Sent carb out for rebuild, should be back in a few weeks.

Using new repo brake and fuel lines; with repo master cyl and fuel pump.

Replacing tires with .. NDTs.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>